Monday, January 16, 2006

Being ourselves

It's not that easy bein' green
Having to spend each day the color of the leaves,
When I think it might be nicer being red, or yellow, or gold
Or something much more colorful like that

It's not easy bein' green
It seems you blend in with so many other ordinary things
And people tend to pass you over,
'cause you're not standing out like flashy sparkles on the water, or stars in the sky

But green is the color of spring
And green can be cool and friendly like
And green can be big like an ocean
Or important like a mountain
Or tall like a tree

When green is all there is to be,
It could make you wonder why.
But why wonder, why wonder?
I am green, and it'll do fine
And I think it's what I want to be

-- Kermit the Frog

Husband was given a very nice, small book for Christmas (a bathroom-reading book daughter said) entitled "It's Not Easy Being Green And Other Things to Consider" by Jim Henson, The Muppets, and Friends. Well, I read it in one sitting and was again struck by the above song that is synonymous with Kermit the Frog.

The first time I heard it, when my children were mere babes, it brought tears to my eyes (I told you I was a crier). It was so simple and plaintive, and spoke the truth about all of us. There have been times, when I was younger, that I have felt invisible to the world and it made me unhappy. Now, I rejoice at being as different as I can be and the fact that I'm alive each and every day. I truly enjoy the beauty all around me and those wonderful people in my life who I can call beloved, both living and dead.

I have a lot of great memories growing up and of the people I grew up with. I will tell you more stories another day.

I have a lot of great memories from the swamp. I remember when I was little, we'd all just sit out on our lily pads for hours and hours, rocking gently on the water and listening to the soft, sweet sound of chirping crickets . . . Then, of course, we'd eat the crickets . . . but that's another story.

-- Kermit the Frog

4 Comments:

At January 16, 2006 5:46 PM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

That was cute and
VERY INSIGHTFUL.

 
At January 17, 2006 5:31 AM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

Very sweet, Motherkitty!I also really enjoy a lot of kids books, songs and poems. Often they contain simple but heartfelt sentiments.

I've just finished reading my daughter "Charlotte's Web". I read it at her age, and cried. Last night, reading it to Laura, I got teary (again!) when Charlotte died. Laura seemed unaffected and reminded me, "Mummy, it's not TRUE, it's just a story!"

 
At January 17, 2006 5:49 AM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

I gave the same book to my oldest daughter for Christmas this year. She is a great fan of Kermit (see my post of 9/27 to see what she did). Great post, keep up the good work!

 
At January 17, 2006 6:36 AM, Blogger Alipurr said...

You sound like me, reading a book in one sitting (although I think you were sitting in a different place than me :)I am glad you like the book, I am glad you don't feel invisible anymore

 

Post a Comment

<< Home