Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Drifting through life

"Like sands through the hourglass . . . so are the Days of Our Lives."

Do you sometimes feel as if you are spending your days just drifting through life -- not accomplishing anything, not getting things done, not completing tasks, but just sitting at your computer terminal all day blogging in your underwear? I've had days like this and I find it makes me feel uneasy, almost as if I'm missing something.

When I read your blogs, I am amazed at all the "things" you are doing -- going on trips, working, visiting others, making things, cooking, creating, taking care of yourselves and others, fixing things, gardening, and generally keeping yourselves busy. (The thought of all this activity sometimes seems too busy for my taste.) As I get older, I find that I'm becoming an old stick-in-the-mud -- content to sit at home and generally nest. Husband would rather be out and about, always doing things, but I like staying at home piddling around.

The problem with this attitude is that I can feel my days passing, one at a time (just like the sands through the hourglass) with nothing accomplished. No afghans started for new grandbaby, no needlepoint pieces finished, no craft projects done, no big housekeeping task completed, and no new friends made. I'm not a "club" person; never have been and never will be. I don't want to belong to the women's club, a homemaker's club, the red hat society, or any other kind of club. I also don't want to do any more volunteer work (been there, done that for many years). I'm just not the coffee klatcher type.

So, what's a lazy person like me supposed to do with themselves all day? (No, for all you amateur psychologists out there, I am not depressed or sick.)

I guess it all boils down to passion. No, not the physical but the emotional kind of passion. Finding something that turns you on. I've always been a voracious reader, but even that hobby has paled. I have countless hard-back novels on my shelves just waiting to be read. Just can't seem to want to read just now. I love computer games. I have numerous games to play on my new computer. Just can't seem to have the patience to play any of them. I have numerous needlepoint pieces that I have started and not completed. Just can't seem to deal with them right now. I have sewing projects that I could be finishing. Just can't seem to want to open the old sewing machine up and get started.

Ugh, now I've made myself disgusted with myself.

It might be the season of the year. Yeah, I can blame it all on Fall, and Halloween, and Thanksgiving, and Christmas, and New Year's Eve. Just the thought of all the cooking, cleaning, present-buying, wrapping, and giving, and putting up the tree makes me want to go to some place sunny with a beach and eat in a restaurant.

Okay. Time to stop blogging and get dressed. You guessed it. I'm still sitting here blogging in my pink nightgown drinking a cuppa tea. Got lots to do today, so I'd better get started. Had a big day yesterday. Cleaned and filled the bird feeders.

20 Comments:

At October 18, 2006 12:19 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

I can relate to your feelings MK...I love pottering around home. There's always plenty to do.
I do need to accomplish some tasks though or I get disgusted with myself. It's a great feeling of satisfaction to get a job done that's been waiting for me to work up the ambition....like canning the tomatoes.
I'd rather be outside working in the garden!
I like being at school too. Working with the kids keeps my mind active and they're always a joy :) I enjoy the grownups too :)

 
At October 18, 2006 12:26 PM, Blogger TUFFENUF said...

MK - I know exactly how you feel! Sometimes, I have to make myself do stuff. I have vowed to do one thing a day, then I don't feel lazy. Really though, we are retired - and we should just feel content to sit around all day if we want to - without feeling guilty - we have certainly earned it!

 
At October 18, 2006 2:33 PM, Blogger Redneck Mommy said...

I so relate to this post.

Seems to be the story of my life this past year.

 
At October 18, 2006 4:15 PM, Blogger Alipurr said...

maybe you should make a weekly date to come over here and see us....at least you like us and it will be something to do

we can even have thanksgiving here if you want....

 
At October 18, 2006 6:55 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

So, it's not just me??? I find this year I'm just dragging myself, trying to get things done when before it was something I would do so easily! I just turned 49 so I'm blaming it on my age! lol

 
At October 18, 2006 7:08 PM, Blogger Big Dave T said...

Reminds me that I have to clean and re-stock my feeder. See, you're ahead of me.

I don't see blogging as all that passive an activity, though. I'm amazed of what I've learned about people and places in the year and a half that I've been doing it.

Hea, I just wanted to mention that I put up my blog on our visit to the Grand Ole Opry (you asked how we liked it).

 
At October 18, 2006 9:26 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Time seems at a premium for me. It rarely slips through my fingers, but I'd love to have some extra. I do enjoy my home, and never find a shortage of things to do!
I think you just got a Thanksgiving Dinner invitation! That's something to look forward to!

 
At October 19, 2006 6:01 AM, Blogger doubleknot said...

I feel just like that some times. It seems so hard to get anything started. I call it 'I have lost my joy' - it comes back but I have to make an effort. Besides what is wrong with wanting to nest once in a while maybe that is what we need.

 
At October 19, 2006 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may come to my house if you'd like, and I'll assign you some stuff to keep you busy. ;-)

It will all come back around, I'm sure. Perhaps a NEW passion is what you need. And soon you'll have that new new baby to occupy your thoughts...

 
At October 19, 2006 8:01 AM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Motherkitty...people really aren't all that busy...You're reading lots of blogs and each person is doing their own thing whether it be gardening, making things, tripping, visiting or working. Believe me, you are not missing anything, they just sound really busy when you read so many blogs, because of their varied interests.

Have you given anymore thought into starting that book of yours? It would be a great winter project, and you always said that you wanted to write a book. You have so many stories to tell and so much to write about.

 
At October 19, 2006 9:38 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

I know what you mean. I feel that way sometimes when I sit here for a long, long time!! But I do get out and do a few things when I can. With winter coming on I'll bet you get some of those books read!!

 
At October 19, 2006 11:05 PM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

Motherkitty, I feel the same sometimes - especially when I've sat in front of the TV too long.

But as Tuff, says, you ARE retired, and if you want to do not much for awhile, it's not a crime!

 
At October 20, 2006 5:15 AM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

No wonder you feel like this - after cleaning up your daughter's house! What a good mom!

 
At October 20, 2006 7:56 AM, Blogger Franny said...

Your passion is your family and your own, internal soul. There's nothing wrong with that. BTW, I suspect we are all really doing a lot of nuttin' much, we just jazz it up to make it sound interesting!

 
At October 20, 2006 8:31 AM, Blogger Rosa said...

Sounds like you are doing what you want to do and you deserve to do so. After raising a family, I think you need some time to just putter. Nesting is a wonderful thing. Even if it takes you all day to move a plant from one spot to another, consider it an acomplishment. When I feel like I have nothing to do, I'll take a drive and turn down a road I've never been before, or go to a town I've never been to before. What about even starting a journal (in old-fashioned hand-written type) to leave for your grandchildren? I'm lazy and doing it on my blog! Don't be so hard on yourself.

 
At October 20, 2006 9:22 AM, Blogger Gwen said...

I too have been guilty of the same act,but it's not very often.
Sometimes their just isn't enough hours in the day,to be able to get everything done.
It will still be there tomorrow.

 
At October 20, 2006 1:42 PM, Blogger TJ said...

You are my kindred spirit...Yes you are!!!
hehe!!
:-D

 
At October 20, 2006 10:39 PM, Blogger Smalltown RN said...

Oh motherkitty....

At times I too feel like just sitting in front of my computer blogging all day. Yes and then the guilt sets in...wassup with that? I am not where you are in your life. I am still working full time and doing what we do at my age. I am anticipating, not wanting to do a whole heck of a lot when I retire. I love road trips so I am hoping to do a lot of that. But do what feels right for you...to heck with the rest of us...if it gives you pleasure...then do it!!

Cheers my friend....

 
At October 22, 2006 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I first started blogging, it took up all of my time. Now, I have been doing it for 2 1/2 years and it is easier for me to step away from the computer. :-)

 
At October 29, 2006 3:30 PM, Blogger LindaD said...

I just 'found' your blog today through Kerri's. It was eye opening to see my feelings expressed through someone else's words. I'm 64 - my grandchildren are all grown but not of a mind to be married yet - and I often wonder how you recreate that enthusiasm for 'doing' that used to be. I'm enjoying your writing and can't wait to read more. Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home