Friday, September 16, 2005

A visit to Nashville, a tale of two knees

Yesterday was spent driving through rain and more rain to Nashville. God knows, we certainly needed the rain. As a matter of fact, it hasn't rained here since Katrina. I drove slower than usual, kept away from all the big rigs and idiots racing along the roadway (as if it was dry outside) and still made it to Nashville in two hours. By the time we hit the Tennessee border, the rain had slowed, and amazingly enough, it stopped completely as we approached the city limits.

I had an appointment with a preeminent joint replacement MD to examine my bad knees. He had been highly recommended by several folks I know who had gone through surgeries with him. I was assured that this guy was the best in Nashville. He even operates in a "space suit" to minimize the incidence of infection. That sold me. Following a thorough and lengthy exam, with lots of x-rays taken and lots of questions asked, the consensus was that he would replace my right knee. Getting ready will take time and the earliest opening for the surgery is in February 2006. There are so many things to do that I was given a binder as a sort of to-do list. We were educated on what was going to happen over the course of the next several months and made an appointment to attend a three-hour knee class given by one of the doctor's RNs. We left the office in a daze. Husband was upset that the MD didn't insist on doing both knees, so I had to assure him that the doctor knew whereof he spoke. I'm looking forward to getting this done, but also know that lots of hard work awaits me in preparation for the surgery (a major deal) and the rehab after (a huge major deal). The promise of actually being able to walk (without pain) through Wal-Mart sold me completely. Shop on! If I don't have the resolve to do the exercises before and after, I will end up with a stiff knee and poor results.

We finally left the doctor's office, and as we made our way out of town, we again drove through lots and lots of rain. As we approached Kentucky, the rain slowed and finally stopped completely by the time we got home. We were tired from our long day (four hours driving, four hours in the doctor's office, and a short time at Cracker Barrel in Clarksville, TN). Before I could go to bed, however, I wanted to call Darling Daughter, Sympathetic Sister, and Sweet Son and Lovely Daughter-in-law to give them the news. All were glad to hear that the doctor was actually going to perform the surgery and relieve me from this semi-invalid state. Oh, joy.

Today is Friday. I've had my cuppa tea but am still sleepy as I type this entry. Husband plans to continue cleaning the garage. As Martha would say, that's a good thing. I don't know what I will do today. Whatever it is will also be a good thing. It's great to be alive. Bye for now.


At September 16, 2005 8:03 AM, Blogger Alipurr said...

good morning motherkitty....sorry about the rain, glad it was a successful trip. haven't had my tea yet, though i have been up a while.

At September 16, 2005 8:06 AM, Blogger Motherkitty said...

Hello, Alipurr. Glad you are up and about so early. Hope you have a wonderful day and that your stress level is one you can cope with easily. All our love to our great granddaughters. I think I will go to Paducah to pick up my French Horn. Tootle, tootle.

Love, Motherkitty (meow)


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home