Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Our Chinese Calendar

Every year, while dining at Chong's (our favorite Chinese restaurant) around Christmastime, we are given a calendar because we are regular customers. The calendar is one of those long bamboo (fake) hangings with pretty pictures that illustrate the Chinese symbols for the different years. According to the calendar, if you were born in 1946, 1958, 1970, 1982, 1994, or 2006, you were born in the Year of the Dog.

We hung our fancy Chinese calendar on the wall in back of my computer so I could see it easily. I also like looking at the pretty pictures as I contemplate what I will write about on my blog.

I was born in 1942, which means that I was born in the Year of the Horse.


1918, 1930, 1942, 1954, 1966, 1978, 1990, 2002: People born in the Year of the Horse are popular. They are cheerful, skillful with money, and perceptive, although they sometimes talk too much. They are wise, talented, good with their hands, and sometimes have a weakness for members of the opposite sex. They are impatient and hot-blooded about everything except their daily work. They like entertainment and large crowds. They are very independent and rarely listen to advice. They are most compatible with Tigers, Dogs, and Sheep.

I don't know where the Chinese get their information. You tell me if this describes my personality.

1. Popular: Little kids, cats, and dogs love me.
2. Cheerful, skillful with money, perceptive, and sometimes talk too much: I am cheerful (most of the time), I'm good at borrowing money from banks, I'm really perceptive, and I ALWAYS talk too much on my blog (in person I tend to be shy and laid back).
3. Wise, talented, good with my hands, and a weakness for the guys: Yes, I'm a wiseacre, I'm talented on any number of levels, I make great bread and pizza dough, and give good massages, and I like men a lot.
4. Impatient and hot-blooded, except for my daily work: Yeah, typical Type A personality, hot to trot and hot to shoot off my mouth; my daily work never suffers because, as a Type A personality, everything must be perfect.
5. Likes entertainment and large crowds: I love movies, Broadway shows, talented people who amuse me, thrill me, and entertain me; large crowds make me nervous so I try to avoid them except when I'm at the theater.
6. Very independent and rarely listens to advice: My main ambition as a senior in high school was to leave for New York as soon as the graduation ceremonies were over and live as a beatnik in the Village (which I did in the early 1960s); since I didn't listen to anyone's advice, I always did as I pleased, but I eventually conformed (except when I married a hippy) and here I am, living in middle America, totally conforming to the middle class and loving it.
7. Most compatible with Tigers, Dogs, and Sheep: Now I know I'm in trouble since husband was born under the sign of the Snake, which means that we aren't compatible. Oh, well. Now I know why we tend to bicker over the smallest and largest of issues.

So, there you have a synopsis of what makes me tick. The Chinese are very talented on many different levels, especially their food, but in identifying personality traits and concocting fortune cookie sayings, they need to get a new hobby.

12 Comments:

At January 17, 2006 11:24 AM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

We have more in common! 1954 is my year, and I too was born in the year of the horse.

 
At January 17, 2006 12:14 PM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I agree with your assessment of yourself except that I have never seen you SHY and laid back. You like to be in control.

What is 1944? The year of the pig or something of that nature?

 
At January 17, 2006 12:47 PM, Blogger Motherkitty said...

1944 is the Year of the Monkey: You are very intelligent and are able to influence people. An enthusiastic achiever, you are easily discouraged and confused. Avoid Tigers. Seek a Dragon or Rat.

 
At January 17, 2006 2:00 PM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Oh, my God...it's even worse than I thought...a MONKEY and I'm supposed to hang out with a RAT.

 
At January 17, 2006 6:19 PM, Blogger Franny said...

You sound like a pretty nice horse to have around! I think a fiery spirit is something to be very proud of.

I'm a rabbit: peaceful, social, sensitive, imaginitive, talented & articulate. Sounds a little like I'm a hippie, doesn't it?

Did you know that there are different elements (wood, water, metal & fire) to your chinese sign as well: you're a "wood" horse which is the most balanced & graceful one to be!

 
At January 17, 2006 7:56 PM, Blogger Motherkitty said...

Thanks, blogfriends, for your very kind comments.

Susan, I knew that we had a kinship!

Abandoned, I am shy, kinda, aren't I? If not, I wish I was some times. I guess I had better learn to pretend.

Franny, thanks for the very interesting information. I knew that wood had something to do with my personality because I am a wood freak and love wooden furniture and wooden objects (ask Abandoned -- she'll tell you) and kitchen utensils. That is so cool.

 
At January 18, 2006 1:40 AM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

Interesting to read a bit more about what you are like...nothing too surprising there; you seem in your writing pretty much how *you* describe yourself. I didn't imagine you as a 'large crowd person' either.

I am a dog, so that's good news for you & me, right?!

 
At January 18, 2006 1:00 PM, Blogger Motherkitty said...

Jellyhead, we are compatible!

According to my "lucky" fabulously attractive (fake) bamboo Chinese calendar, those born under the sign of the dog are "frank but pessimistic. The Dog is eager to find out the truth. He is faithful, ready to serve others and that is why he can gain respect from others."

This sounds like you to a "tee," don't you think? Ever-faithful, gaining our respect, utterly frank, albeit sometimes pessimistic, always ready to serve, a super human being. Just don't let others go around calling you a "dog."

 
At January 18, 2006 1:11 PM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I like your new look.

 
At January 18, 2006 1:29 PM, Blogger Motherkitty said...

Abandoned, are you talking about my "horse" or my "froggy" look?

 
At January 19, 2006 6:39 AM, Blogger Judypatooote said...

Now you got my attention....what was 1940....I'm sure it is something special....lol

 
At January 19, 2006 9:52 AM, Blogger Motherkitty said...

Judypatooote, you are right. You are "special." Because you were born in 1940, you were born under the sign of the Dragon. "You are eccentric and you life is complex. You have a very passionate nature and abundant health. Marry a Monkey or Rat late in life. Avoid the Dog."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home