Monday, October 30, 2006

'Tis the season

I don't know about you, but I always begin to feel nostalgic around this time of the year. And, I think about food a lot.

I especially think about all the holiday dinners at my mother's table.

I think about turkey.

I think about homemade bread.

I think about homemade pumpkin pie.

I think about sweet potatoes.

I think about homemade pumpkin bread.

I also think about giblet gravy, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, deviled eggs, salad, and all the other goodies we consume during the holidays. I also think about all the extra calories we will consume over the next several months because everything tastes so good.

I will spend a lot of time thinking about my menus. I will spend a lot of time making my grocery lists and purchasing all the ingredients. I will think a lot about what to buy everybody for Christmas. I will spend a lot of time getting my house in order.

I will look forward to having family and friends come over to share the happy moments of each holiday. It will be good.

I will think a great deal about the birthdays we will be celebrating during November -- son's birthday, nephew's birthday, and mother's birthday. I will think about my son a great deal on his birthday because he will be unable to come home this year. While he was growing up, and still living at home, we always celebrated his birthday during the long Thanksgiving holiday. I will miss him very much this year. I will think about my mother a great deal on her birthday because she is no longer with us. I will remember her because I love her dearly and miss her every day of my life. I will honor her by using her utensils and dishes to prepare and present my holiday meals.

For some, the holiday season is a very sad time of year. For others, it is a time for celebrations, good times, getting together, sharing the blessings of our lives, and enjoying each minute spent in fellowship and love. I love the holidays and am always sad when January comes around.

So, let me be the first to wish all of you, my dear blog friends and family, a very happy, healthy, safe, and wonderful holiday season.

10 Comments:

At October 30, 2006 10:40 AM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

I think I just gained a couple of pounds just reading this! I know my mouth is watering, and I was just about to go grocery shopping, look out pocketbook!

I also look forward to all these things, I just wish it all didn't happen so fast, then from January to March we are stuck in cold winter with nothing to look forward to... Wouldn't it be nice if it started now and ended about March, then we would have made it all the way to Spring without that awkward winter period in between.

Hope your excited anticipation of the holidays continues and hope the actual holidays far outweigh your expectations. Well, outweigh may not be a good word to use here, I wasn't talking about our weight, of course!

 
At October 30, 2006 10:52 AM, Blogger Susie said...

Actually we started in with the good food at our daughter's Halloween open house! And so it goes, on and on for us till the end of January (as that is our month of many birthdays!)
I also miss loved ones who are no longer with us. I know they are smiling at us from above and loving the fact that we continue the many traditions they handed down...
Enjoy this wonderful time of year!!

 
At October 30, 2006 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the holidays, too. Although, as we all grow and have our families, it's harder and harder for everyone to get together. I will not be able to be with my parents for Thanksgiving this year unless I want to spend it without my husband, because he has to work. And husband won't be seeing his parents for either Thanksgiving or Christmas because they've moved to Arizona and can't get off work to travel.

In recent years we've started our own traditions with the boys, and that's been wonderful. I hope their childhood memories of the holiday season will be as good as the ones I carry.

Now, I'm going to need some turkey sooner than Thanksgiving, thanks to your picture...

 
At October 30, 2006 11:32 AM, Blogger Franny said...

MMMmmm...we already had thanksgiving, but I could go for another round.

 
At October 30, 2006 4:23 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

This certainly is the beginning of a very busy time for a lot of us but I don't care how busy I am during the holidays, I LOVE getting ready for it:-) Soon I'll be making my Christmas cookies & squares, chocolates, meatpies, fruit cake,etc. On Christmas Even I light a candle for each loved one who is no longer with us...that way their light is shining brightly by our side!!

 
At October 31, 2006 4:37 AM, Blogger Smalltown RN said...

Oh Motherkitty....

I nice thought of rememberance. Yes the busy feastive time is coming upon us...I have already bought my first Christmas gift and working on another. Have to get over the Birthdays first. Love the picture of the pumpkin loaf. I was telling my husband about that the other day how I wanted to make some he hadn't a clue as to what I was talking about.

Happy Halloween my friend.

 
At October 31, 2006 8:52 AM, Blogger Alipurr said...

same here mom.....we will be there at your home to help....and to celebrate together

 
At October 31, 2006 9:03 AM, Blogger Pamela said...

Trick-or-treat! Hey Mother Kitty, this was so fun! Love all the delicious looking food. I love the holidays too! Thanksgiving is a wonderful time to celebrate and be grateful for family, "witch" reminds me Happy Halloween! Sounds like you will be doing a lot of birthday celebrations! I too miss my Dad around the holidays.

 
At October 31, 2006 3:15 PM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

With a large family living all in the same city, there is always a large family gathering going on at someone's home...It seems like we have an all year long feeding fest going on.

I do look forward to Thanksgiving & Jimmy's birthday because we usually celebrate on the same day since they're only 2 days apart. I cook the main menu, & some special desserts and many bring their favorite dishes also. And when you have about 43 showing up...there's just way too much food. Nobody is ready to eat again until Christmas.*LOL*

We played this wonderful gift exchange game last year, so I think it will become an annual event now that the family is so large. EVERY adult bring ONE gift...it's much easier on our pocket books than everyone buying 42 gifts.

I can't wait...
And your post has made me really hungry.

 
At November 02, 2006 2:51 AM, Blogger Douglas Whynott said...

What the heck is a pumpkion loaf
Mary Anne's (aka Qualicum RN) 's better half
Douglas

 

Post a Comment

<< Home