Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Come out, come out, wherever you are

The Great Mofo Delurk 2007

Haven't all bloggers done this? Lurk and skulk around the Internet and scores of blogs, always looking for something and some place interesting, perhaps even a little titillating? I know that I have done this perhaps every day since I started blogging. I'm guilty as charged.

Thanks to Moogie of Moogie's World for bringing this to our attention. That sound you hear is me breathing a sigh of relief because I don't have to feel quite so guilty anymore about visiting your sites and not leaving comments as frequently as I've should. In the future I promise to stop being such a lunkhead and actually comment on your wonderful posts. So, for all my fellow lurkers, come out, come out, wherever you are, and join the throng of fellow delurkers -- even for just today. Feel free to leave a comment, if you're so inclined.

On a sorrier note, what is happening to time? Yesterday was a perfectly beautiful day -- warm, sunny, with everything looking and feeling just like summer. My potted flowers on the back deck are still really beautiful and our tomato plants are putting out blossoms and setting fruit. Husband and I even broke a sweat as we were working outside. This morning I awoke around 5:30 a.m. and it was DARK AS WINTER outside. And, it was actually a bit chilly as I opened the slider to let in the kitties for their breakfast. I like the changing of the seasons and the colors of fall, but I don't like winter any more with the cold, snow, ice, sleet, and short days. Brr, makes me shiver just thinking about it.

Such a pretty scene, but who likes to shovel snow and actually have to get out and work/drive in bad weather? Maybe it's because I'm getting too old to have to put up with winter. My bones like it to be really warm outside. No wonder birds and some animals migrate south. Their bones must like it warm outside also.

With all the beautiful weather we've been having, the signs are everywhere that the end of the year is fast approaching. First Halloween, then Thanksgiving, then Christmas, then New Year's. Yikes, are you ready for all that?

I was watching The Lake House with Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves the other day and in this fantasy film there was a period of time when Sandra Bullock was in the year 2008 while Keanu Reeves was in the year 2006. I thought that was a bit odd but then I thought about how we are going to have to start writing 2008 on all our checks, documents, and correspondence in just a few months. When I was a kid I used to fantasize about what I would be doing in a particular year. I would dream about 1980 or the year 2000 and wonder about what great things I would have accomplished or how rich I would become. Snort!!! Now that it's almost 2008, I'm still wondering what my situation will be in, say, 2025 or 2050. Will I even be alive to see if we make it to Mars and beyond?

Time -- it's like quicksilver. It's elusive, it never stands still, and tomorrow gets here faster and faster as we get older and older.

If I could save time in a bottle
The first thing that I'd like to do
Is to save every day
Till Eternity passes away
Just to spend them with you

-- Jim Croce, Time in a Bottle

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

At October 03, 2007 7:34 AM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

I hope you get all those sneaky lurkers out of the closet!

Love your thoughts on time, it sure is passing us by, are we having fun yet?

Also love Jim Croce, as evidenced in my post here.

Good to see you 'coming out'...

Have a great day!

 
At October 03, 2007 7:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I count as a lurker, but Hi! Glad to see you blogging again!

 
At October 03, 2007 8:02 AM, Blogger Kerri said...

I'm not looking forward to the dark, cold days of winter, but the Fall weather here has been beautiful. Hope it lasts a good while yet...but it probably won't.
Oh yes, time is just like quicksilver. It flies, especially as we grow older!!
I love that song :)
So pleased to get your comment in my Inbox this morning! Welcome back! You have been missed, but breaks are very much understood.

 
At October 03, 2007 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I posted the delurker button, too!

*Waves hello to Motherkitty from Washington, DC*.

 
At October 03, 2007 10:05 AM, Blogger Susie said...

I'm not a lurker (am I?)
Did you enjoy The Lake House? I found it kinda strange and hard to follow..
Love that Jim Croce song.
It's sunny and beautiful here. I do see a few leaves falling.
I was so happy to see your comment on my post. Wish you lived closer too!
xoxo

 
At October 03, 2007 10:36 AM, Blogger Schiplady said...

I'm not looking forward to winter either - especially not having to drive 35 miles up the mountain to go to work. I hate getting up and finding it still dark in the morning. There are some days I go to work in the dark and also drive home in the dark. Snow is beautiful but only before we mess it up with our cars. Jim Croce was one of my favorites. Lost him way too soon as with many others....

 
At October 03, 2007 9:56 PM, Blogger Alipurr said...

like the title on this one....
liked the lake house, too
i have wanting to be outside more too

been nice walking weather around here

i admit i am a lurker on lots of sites cause if i am not logged in, it takes forever to type everything with just one hand
(it seems i am always blog reading while nursing the baby, & no, i never put him down, ha ha)

 
At October 04, 2007 9:28 AM, Blogger Motherkitty said...

Thanks to all my lovely commenters for delurking yourselves yesterday. It was a pleasure hearing from you. Now I wish the person from Sweden who logs on all the time would come out and leave a comment. That would be an occasion to find out who it is.

 
At October 04, 2007 5:15 PM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I am one of those lurkers, but I do try to always leave YOU a comment. If I had to leave a comment on every post I read I'd be on the computer half the day.

I broke a sweat here today. I woke up to let the cats out in the dark and it was very warm outside. I'm waiting for cooler weather. I have always loved winter even when I worked, but I have always loved summer equally as well until this year. My breathing problems caught up with me.

Yes, time does pass by quickly and a little quicker than I'd like it to. I am looking forward to the upcoming holidays though.

Hope you find your Swedish lurker.

 
At October 07, 2007 11:28 AM, Blogger Marie said...

The Aussie in Sweden now delurking as ordered....

I now consider myself sprung. I guess I am your lurker from Sweden, who drops in all of the time to read your words of wisdom.

I really enjoy your writing and am so glad to see you blogging again.

I never really comment on blogs as I don't have a comment feature myself and anyway I rarely know what to say. And I am so behind in blogging, having been away sailing for ten weeks, then moving house that I fear I'll never catch up!

 
At October 07, 2007 1:10 PM, Blogger Smalltown RN said...

Jim Croce.....Time in a bottle....I loved that song.....it is pouring rain here....the weather has been cool for a few days now....our local moutains have snow...it won't be long till it is here...urgh!!! We never got summer this year...it eluded us for some reason....we got a couple of nice weeks at the beginning of July and that was it.....the rain is teaming down today....we have already had wood in the fireplace....hubby and I have been sick with colds....but hey...life goes on....thanks for dropping by yesterday...it was so nice to hear from you....how is your little grandson...he must be getting big....hope to see some pictures soon....cheers!

 
At October 08, 2007 7:19 AM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

OK OK I'm delurking already!

I have already been here and read this post, and the one previous to this, but I didn't comment!! (I'm such a bad egg)

I've been thinking, though, about your post regarding not posting. I've been thinking how you said you sometimes don't want to post about negative stuff, for fear we blogpals won't like you, or the 'real' you. But what you don't realise is that even though you may think you conceal your true self from us, I bet we do know you better than you think, (and we adore you just the way you are).

For instance, I bet you are get in strife for giving loving but unsolicited advice (I do this too so I know a fellow advice-giver!). I bet you get snippish sometimes, and I'm thinking that you don't always feel warm & gooey about your family (who does? Family was created to drive us all crazy!)I bet you are known as a strongly opinionated woman.

I also reckon you are known to be intensely loyal, giving beyond compare, smart, thoughtful, kind and a fabulous cook. Your family knows you love them deeply, and will always be there for them.

How'd I do?

 
At October 08, 2007 9:51 AM, Blogger Motherkitty said...

Jellyhead, you nailed me!!! You, a bad egg? I don't think so. I'm so glad you are back from your looonnngggg vacation. Can't wait to hear all about it.

And, Marie, welcome, welcome, welcome. I have bookmarked your site and will probably spend many hours reading your posts. Thank you for finally visiting.

This has been an extremely fun post and I'm delighted with all the responses. (Just wait until you see my next post. Daughter + 3 are visiting for a few days and we have taken some "classic" pictures. Can anyone say foot fetish?)

 
At October 09, 2007 11:02 AM, Blogger Ava said...

Not a lurker ... I've posted before, but that's a great idea!!!! Sometimes I talk to someone who will mention something on my blog ... I didn't even know that they were reading it!

 
At October 14, 2007 7:33 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

I am really behind on my reading, I guess! Time really does fly by, and years get away from me, let alone days!
Like you, I like the fall and look forward to a change of wardrobe and seasons, but I don't like winter at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home