Monday, November 07, 2005

Grandparenting 201: What, Me Worry?

I should have known better. The weekend was purrfect and went without a hitch. There was no screaming, no temper tantrums, and no demands for mama. In fact, you couldn't have asked for two more darling girls to spend the weekend with.

We did a lot of nice things on Saturday: watched several TeeVee programs, an hour or so of Disney Silly Symphonies, ate a lot, drank a lot, and had Spaghetti-O's for supper. Little Sister even took an hour-and-a-half nap during the afternoon. We played "supermarket" several times at Dancer Girl's insistence. Dancer Girl, who is ever the "leader of the band," took our food orders (we have to be creative) and she eventually delivered our (play) dinners. This game is okay for about two minutes, but gets a little old after awhile. She loves it, though.

Nine o'clock FINALLY rolled around and we all went to bed. I slept with the girls and Husband had the queen-size bed all to himself. That is until about 1:30 a.m. when two little kids sorta kicked me out of bed by spreading all over the mattress. So, I headed for my own bed and they pretty much slept the entire night by themselves (except for one crying episode with a cold wet pull-up).

The next day was spent pleasantly. We played all day and then decided to go out and eat around 3:45 p.m. Darling Daughter and Hairy Husband were on their way back from Nashville and the girls looked so pretty in their Sunday dresses. The only place we could find open on a Sunday afternoon was Pizza Hut, so off we went. Everyone had fun, ate well, drank well (the girls consumed an entire glass of sweet tea which I shoulda known would keep them up and hyper until all hours).

Darling Daughter and Hairy Husband arrived around 5:30 p.m. and the kids were so excited to see them. After passing out presents for the girls, they decided they were too tired to drive home and would stay the night at our house instead.


Minnie Mouse

Pictured above is Little Sister in her Minnie Mouse dress purchased in Nashville by her parents. You can't get any cuter than this!!!

The evening was spent with the parents in a daze on the couch and the kids in a hyper state from all the sweet tea and excitement of the parents' presence. Sorry mom and dad. We all finally fell asleep, but I was up around 5:00 a.m. to get the dishwasher loaded and breakfast started.

Our company left around 11 a.m. and we got ready for our day. First stop, out to lunch then on to my MD appointment to see if I had suffered a stress fracture in my left foot. My little toe and foot have been swollen, red, warm to touch, and awfully sore since last Wednesday or Thursday. My MD ordered X-rays but I won't know the results for sure until Wednesday when I go back to see him. Meanwhile, I think I'll be off my feet trying to recuperate. It was kind of difficult keeping up with the girls over the weekend, but hubby helped a great deal, so I'm thankful for little favors.

I was so worried that the girls would be fussy or difficult, but I should have known better. They are angels, and what can you expect from angels but sweetness and light (from their halos).




2 Comments:

At November 08, 2005 7:05 AM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

I'm glad it all went smoothly - sounds like it was actually a great weekend for all!
Thanks for the photos - they are gorgeous-looking wee girls, aren't they?

 
At November 08, 2005 8:21 PM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

Beautiful granddaughters! I know you had fun with them. Thanks for visiting my site, and for the info on the quilt show. No, I have not heard of it before. It sounds like thousands of folks have, though!

Enjoying your stories, keep up the good work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home