Sunday, November 13, 2005

If this is Sunday, it must be church

I remember when I was a kid my mother had an entire repertoire of songs that she would sing to us. Over the years, and during the time when my kids were still at home, I have tried to remember all these songs and, of course, sing them to my son and daughter. I now sing them to my granddaughters.

One of the songs my mother used to sing to us was about the days of the week and goes like this.

Today is Monday. Monday washday, all you happy people, we wish the best to you.
Today is Tuesday. Tuesday string beans, Monday washday, all you happy people, we wish the best to you.
Today is Wednesday. Wednesday sooouuuppp, Tuesday string beans, Monday washday, all you happy people, we wish the best to you.
Today is Thursday. Thursday roast beef, Wednesday sooouuuppp, Tuesday string beans, Monday washday, all you happy people, we wish the best to you.
Today is Friday. Friday fish, Thursday roast beef, Wednesday sooouuuppp, Tuesday string beans, Monday washday, all you happy people, we wish the best to you.
Today is Saturday. Saturday payday, Friday fish, Thursday roast beef, Wednesday sooouuuppp, Tuesday string beans, Monday washday, all you happy people, we wish the best to you.
Today is Sunday. Sunday church, Saturday payday, Friday fish, Thursday roast beef, Wednesday sooouuuppp, Tuesday string beans, Monday washday, all you happy people, we wish the best to you.

I have found slightly different versions of this old song, author unknown, but I think it kind of reflects what life was like in our house during the early 1940s. My mother had a routine and she generally stuck to it. When she washed clothes on Monday, she ironed on Tuesday, and so forth.

My mother was an amazing woman. When we were small, my parents ran a corner grocery store. I should say that my mother ran the store and my father worked as a cutter in a coat factory. When my dad wasn't working at the factory, he helped out in the store at night and on the weekends. Meanwhile, my mother not only ran the store, she also did all the ordering, meat cutting, stocking, and waiting on customers. She also cooked, cleaned, sewed all our clothes, took care of my sister and myself, shopped, and kept us all going through the War and through my father's illnesses and subsequent hospitalizations. But, most of all, I remember the songs my mother used to sing to us girls when she wanted to amuse us, put us to sleep, calm us down, or to express her love.


Jack and Sara, 1939

She was a strong, loving woman up to the day she died in 1993 and I miss her every day. I only hope I can live up to her strength and wisdom.

In her memory, I will continue to sing all the songs she taught us so many years ago.

1 Comments:

At November 15, 2005 6:28 AM, Blogger Alipurr said...

very sweet, i miss her too, keep singing her songs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home