Thursday, February 23, 2006

Just one word

Stumpy Grinder and his wife Martha were from Portand, Maine. Every year they went to the Portland Fair and every year Stumpy said, “Ya know, Mahtha. I’d like ta get a ride in that theah aihplane.” And every year, Martha would say, “I know, Stumpy, but that aihplane ride costs ten dollahs . . . and ten dollahs is ten dollahs.”

So one year Stumpy says, “By Jeebers, Mahtha, I’m 71 yeahs old, and if I don’t go this time, I may nevah go.” Martha replies, “Stumpy, that there aihplane ride is ten dollahs . . . and ten dollahs is ten dollahs.”

The pilot overhears them and says, “Folks, I’ll make you a deal. I’ll take you both up for a ride. If you can stay quiet for the entire ride and not say ONE WORD, then I won’t charge you. But, just ONE WORD and it’s ten dollars.”

They agreed and up they go. The pilot does all kinds of twists and turns, rolls and dives, but not a word is heard. He does it one more time, and there is still no word. So, he lands. He turns to Stumpy as they come to a stop and says, “By golly, I did everything I could think of to get you to holler out, but you didn’t.”

And, Stumpy replies, “Well, I was gonna say something when Mahtha fell out . . . but, ten dollahs is ten dollahs.”


This little joke just begged me to define, in one word, what marriage is all about. So, I thought and thought, and came up with a choice word or two about the subject.

There are some who might say that marriage is all about love, or money, or sex, or convenience, or friendship, or even accumulating. There are also some who say their marriage was arranged. Many didn't want to be lonely. There are those who found spouses at match-em-up.com. A lot got hitched because of a baby. Some even got married because of a shotgun. In my generation, a girl's biggest ambition (according to her high school or college yearbook) was to find a husband, get married, settle down, have babies, and be a good housewife (complete with pearls, high heels, and a frilly apron).

Today, men and women get married for some or all of these reasons. The trick to staying married, however, is learning not to say that one word that will kill all the love, friendship, and affection between the two of you.

So, treat your marriage like it's an adventure that must be taken before you're too old to enjoy or appreciate it. And, don't think twice about spending that ten dollars, because he or she is worth it!

21 Comments:

At February 23, 2006 9:38 AM, Blogger tomlaureld@yahoo.com said...

We are sometimes on the same page.
How?
I have no clue but sometimes it happens.
Pretty far out!

 
At February 23, 2006 11:27 AM, Blogger bornfool said...

My theory on marriage is this: Marriage is an excercise in mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.

 
At February 23, 2006 11:42 AM, Blogger Motherkitty said...

Bornfool, you said a mouthful. Thanks. I guess that's how husband and I have managed to stay married for almost 37 (or is it 38?) years.

 
At February 23, 2006 11:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This post on marriage is funny and serious...heh, kind of like marriage itself!

I've always said marriage isn't for the faint of heart...people think they've landed their mate and boom! Everything should just fall into place - it doesn't, it takes work but you gotta have some fun along the way as this post states.

By the way, so glad I found you through both Sharon and Heather! Have a good one!
*Sweetie

 
At February 23, 2006 11:57 AM, Blogger Motherkitty said...

Sweetie, so glad you stopped by and thanks for your nice comments. I've been reading your posts and I especially liked the ones about the cell phones (my feelings exactly about people bringing their phones to the health club and to talking on their cells while driving -- one of my pet peeves) and about not remembering your parents' address. Too funny for words. You will note that I have linked you (hope that's okay) because I think you have a lot of great things to say.

 
At February 23, 2006 1:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Motherkitty -- for the compliments and the link! I'd like to link you back :).

 
At February 23, 2006 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great conclusion at the end, thanks

 
At February 23, 2006 2:22 PM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

How right you are, Motherkitty. It's a good reminder for all of us, that one of the greatest assets in a marriage is knowing when to keep our mouths *shut*. My husband will love you for reminding me of this!

 
At February 23, 2006 4:34 PM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

What's the one word?

 
At February 23, 2006 4:43 PM, Blogger tomlaureld@yahoo.com said...

Heh!!

 
At February 23, 2006 4:51 PM, Blogger Motherkitty said...

The one word (take your pick) is that nasty, hateful thought that comes spewing out of your mouth at the most inappropriate time -- the one word you would give anything in this world to take back if you could. It hangs in the air, and even though you say "I'm sorry" and "Forgive me," it's always in the back of your honey's mind. So, like Jelly says, sometimes it's better to sew your lips together and not say the one word you'll regret for the rest of your life.

The divorce rate in the United States is over 50 percent. Most of these were caused because someone said that one word that couldn't be taken back.

 
At February 23, 2006 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

everyday in the life of a married person is a test of faith.

 
At February 23, 2006 7:15 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Kitty - LOL, oh that airplane story was cute!!!! :)

Did mahtha live? ;>

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

 
At February 23, 2006 8:51 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Great advice!!

 
At February 24, 2006 1:49 AM, Blogger MrsGreenThumb said...

Wow, sister, you said a mouthful. I always figured marriage was an endurance contest. I can stand him as long as he can stand me. I remember our parent's 50th wedding anniversary. We agreed that they had endured. It wasn't always easy but they stayed together. And our grandparents stayed together for over 60 years. I always figured I'd be married for 50 years too. In the early years, I would tell my husband he only had 45 years left on his contract, then 40 years. It was our family joke. Now that it's only 3 1/2 years on that 50 year contract, he's getting nervous. I guess he thinks I'll run out and find another guy...NOT.
Once is enough for me. The truth is that I still like him for the same reasons that I married him for. And that's a good thing.

 
At February 24, 2006 7:05 AM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I loved the Airplane episode...that was really funny.

Marriage is something that we always must work at to keep that adventure & excitement in it and it's sometimes best to bite our tongue and not say anything hurtful...to our one & only.

Very nice post.

 
At February 24, 2006 10:22 AM, Blogger Kerri said...

LOVE the jokes (poor Martha) and the words of wisdom that followed. Great post! My husband will love you too :)

 
At February 24, 2006 6:25 PM, Blogger somershade said...

That joke was so funny, we are going to tell it to our young couples class this sunday.

 
At February 27, 2006 2:33 PM, Blogger manababies said...

Hehe, this post is too funny. And I think through the years if there is anything I've learned, it's when to bite my tongue. Timing makes all difference in the world. :)

 
At February 28, 2006 8:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well, with the divorce rate being so high and all, along with it being way too easy to actually wed, then divorce so soon...I'm proud to say that in 3 months hubby and I will be married for 38 years!! Yep...I can't say happily married, 'cause life doesn't always swing along those lines, but I CAN say that we've been happy together, through thick and thin!! (and to think we had our first date 2 months BEFORE our wedding date was set!!) I'm proud to say that I'm married to a fine man.

And Motherkitty, I also would like to say a 'thank you' for helping our little kitty, Tahoe, celebrate her birthday!! =^..^=

 
At March 01, 2006 8:24 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Very nice post, Motherkitty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home