Tuesday, February 07, 2006

What makes you happy?

I had a conversation via e-mail today with a loved one about New Year's Resolutions, attitudes, and what makes people happy. I came to the conclusion that the following should be my new motto for 2006:

Save your sanity and ignore those who wish to do you emotional harm.

To let you know that I am still sane, I am submitting a Top 10 List of Things That Make Me Happy:

10. Music of all kinds (except heavy-metal, head-banging junk)
9. My blogger friends and family
8. Cute, soft, playful kittens
7. The ability and freedom to think, speak, and write as I please
6. A thrilling, entertaining movie/book
5. Nature at its best and at its worst
4. Fabulous food (and my ability to cook well and feed a lot of loved ones)
3. People who love me back, including sweet-smelling babies
2. My husband (and a good sense of humor)
1. Access to Blogger.Com 24/7/365

We've all heard the expression, "Today is the first day of the rest of your life." I believe that we face our own personal crossroads many times in our lifetime. Sometimes we regret those choices we make and sometimes we don't. I don't want to waste any more of my time on regrets (thanks Susan), so I have become determined that I would rather be happy and not be brought down by negativism. I'm at a proverbial emotional crossroad today and I've decided to take the memorable path for the rest of my life.

Whew -- that's a load off my mind. Now I can start being happy.

What makes you happy? Do yourself a favor and make your own Top 10 List of Things That Make You Happy. In compiling this short list (which was harder than I originally thought), I found that I had to refocus on what I REALLY thought would make me happy. You will note that I left out material things like lots of money, fame, glory, and high IQ. These things are nice, but they don't necessarily make you happy.

Now the #1 item on my list, that makes me really, really happy.


15 Comments:

At February 07, 2006 8:46 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Kitty - I don't know if it would be at the top of the list. But clicking submit and publishing a good story is usually pretty satisfying for me. :)

Btw, I noticed that there wasn't an arrow on that sign point the way to the bar. ;)

J/K

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

 
At February 07, 2006 9:17 PM, Blogger Motherkitty said...

Thanks, Neo. If I had Photoshop maybe I could put up another arrow pointing to your favorite watering hole. (I visited another blog today and the author mentioned having 14 sake bombs. I looked it up and it sounds like a Purdue Boilermaker to me except they use sake instead of whiskey. Can you imagine drinking 14 glasses of beer in one sitting? Oh, I forgot. You like 30.)

Publishing a good story would make me happy also. I just had 10 spaces to fill in on my list and I kept erasing and adding different things. I'm telling you, it's hard coming up with a short list.

Motherkitty sends a huge hug.

 
At February 07, 2006 10:28 PM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I don't know if I could stop at 10.

Very good post...It gives all of us something to think about...and something to work towards.

The main thing is: no more negativism.

 
At February 08, 2006 6:54 AM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

It's good to hear you are getting past the frustrations and regrets of recent times... wonderful times lie ahead of you, I'm sure!

:) Jelly

 
At February 08, 2006 7:13 AM, Blogger Alipurr said...

I really like this post, mom. I suspect it is mostly people like me and dad who affect you the most negatively at times, probably because we are the closest to you. As I read this I happened to think of the last time I talked you, which happened to be full of frustration on my part which had nothing to do with you (or I would hope you would realize). And I can't help wondering if somehow I have hurt your feelings lately....for what it is worth I love you and need you more than words can say. I am sorry if me trying to grapple with daily life feels like a slap in the face sometimes. Whatever the case, I am glad for this post, and I especially like the cartoon

 
At February 08, 2006 11:33 AM, Blogger Franny said...

So nice to see a little beacon of hope in these dark and stressful days. It's so hard to think of the things that make me happy, especially when I am so tired all the time! But your list refreshed my memory. Thanks!

 
At February 08, 2006 12:15 PM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

You are welcome. "Now I can start being happy" - a great declaration!

I like the sign. It reminds me to look beyond the daily to do list and plan for the future. Will work on my top 10 list.

Here's hoping your good outlook continues throughout the year!

 
At February 09, 2006 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

its good to be self aware and not let life pass you by. i need good music, a few friends and family safe healthy and happy, some alcohol, high speed internet, and a pair of running shoes.

 
At February 09, 2006 10:01 AM, Blogger Motherkitty said...

Dr. C: Thanks for the comment. Welcome aboard. I really enjoy your blog entries (you are so funny) and hope my blogpals will also visit your site. Keep those running shoes in good order and you will keep in good shape.

 
At February 09, 2006 10:50 AM, Blogger TUFFENUF said...

I love your blog, I visit you everyday. Thanks for the upbeat post. Life is great, blogging is so much fun, we all have a new set of friends!

 
At February 09, 2006 11:53 AM, Blogger Motherkitty said...

Thanks, Tuffy. You are so sweet for your nice comments. Your mare is gorgeous and I love the name you picked. The only time I ever rode a horse was on a trail ride with a bunch of friends. They gave me this old nag that wouldn't go faster than a very slow walk. Consequently, I ended up in the back of the pack and was literally covered with dust and dirt by the time we returned to the barn, and my ankles were covered with blisters from the stirrups. No wonder cowboys wear leather boots. That was it for me and horses (forgot, one time someone talked me into getting on a mule and that darn animal threw me over its head. It was not only humiliating, but it hurt). teehee

 
At February 09, 2006 6:29 PM, Blogger somershade said...

We have alot in common because my list looks similiar to yours. Good article.Alittle like the one I wrote today called
Victorious.
I love blogging,but it is hard to find the time working full-time. I need to give up working for more blog time. I love you and loved Ali's comment to you. Sweet. And just like a loving relationship of Mother and daughter

 
At February 09, 2006 6:32 PM, Blogger LoriCloud said...

Sweet smelling babies...sigh. Definitely a happy thing. I've been accused of thinking too much so i'll try to keep this simple... My daughter, my family, and my significant other definitely #1, after that and in no particular order...music, a snow or thunder storm, a good cheap glass of wine, macaroni and cheese, writing, thrift shopping, Curb your Enthusiasm, Tapas, sorry...I'm WAY too happy. :) Thank you this was a very nice post-- it helps us evaluate how high maintenance we are!

 
At February 09, 2006 8:34 PM, Blogger Motherkitty said...

Hey, June and Lori, thanks for your wonderful comments. Ah, sweet smelling babies and sweet smelling flowers -- what could be better -- or we could just have a hot bowl of mac and cheese and a nice Chianti on a cold winter's day!

 
At February 10, 2006 7:49 AM, Blogger Moogie said...

What a wonderful post. It makes me stop and realize just how lucky I am. Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home