Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Too smart for my own good

Last evening husband and I had a difference of opinion. We usually get along with each other, but something I said inspired him to reach the boiling point. Evidentally, it irritates him that I'm always right.

So, he's vowed to call me Mrs. Duh from now on instead of my real name. That's okay, because I'm still right.

It's an awesome responsibility, always having to correct people, especially people who can't spell, who have difficulty remembering simple things such as names, addresses, telephone numbers, and who people are. It's a huge burden to carry around all that knowledge. One's head gets very heavy and the pressure to always have the correct answer is terrible.

I can remember when I was in school that I always wanted to be first with all the answers. This didn't always happen, but I made it a goal to acquire as much knowledge as I could over the span of a lifetime.

I've reached the point in my life that I have a tendency not to keep my mouth shut when I know some bit of trivial baggage. I guess it's from many years of watching Jeopardy and other game shows. I love to shout out the answers and I tend to do this with other people unknowingly and automatically. It's a burden that sometimes gets me in hot water. Like last night. I should have just bitten my tongue rather than speak out! (I really don't remember what I said, but it must have been something really irritating to get the response it did.)

I guess I offend some people, including husband, but it's hard for a Type A personality to change their spots. I will always strive for all the correct answers (if I don't know, I will look it up and remember it for next time) because it's in my nature.

Knowledge is power, so I guess filling my head with all this trivial garbage is my way of being powerful.

12 Comments:

At February 01, 2006 2:08 PM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

You sound like my husband, but he has more self-control.

I, on the other hand...possess little knowlegde but tend to open my mouth and usually put my foot in it.

 
At February 01, 2006 2:15 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Kitty - I'll take "US Presidents," for 500 Alex. ;)

I know the feeling, I am the same way when watching game shows with friends, and blurting out the answers.

It's a gift kitty, enjoy it. :)

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

 
At February 01, 2006 3:09 PM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

Motherkitty, you sound like a smart woman with a great memory. You probably are right most of the time. And I know this post is partly tongue-in-cheek. But I'll always remember this catchy little phrase from "Dr Phil"....(I know it's psychobabble, but it has a ring of truth to it)...'Do you want to be right, or do you want to be happy?' I remember this phrase because I need to heed it myself!

People can be very clever without necessarily having a fantastic memory. My dear hubby is the typical 'absent-minded professor' - forgets people's names, social occasions I've mentioned several times, phone numbers, etc. BUT he can run rings around me when it comes to mathematical thinking. So I try to respect his type of intelligence, instead of complaining about his forgetfulness (though sometimes, if he's forgotten something important I still do get a bit narky!!)

Think about it from your hubby's point of view...he wants to feel respected and admired. So if you are constantly pointing out that you're right, he might feel belittled. He must have some good attributes that you don't possess, so you could let the memory stuff go (as much as possible, anyway!) and focus on his strengths.

Motherkitty, I hope I haven't offended you with what I've written...it's just a subject that I often think about, because in my marriage we have that same situation. And I'm still trying to quit 'showing off' by blurting out phone numbers before Fatty looks them up, etc!

 
At February 01, 2006 3:38 PM, Blogger Motherkitty said...

Thanks, everyone, for your insightful comments. Yes, I'm a smartalecky know-it-all, very competitive, who always has to "win," and sometimes forgets that others have feelings too. I also lack self-control at times.

Jellyhead, you hit the nail on the head! You are correct in every aspect. I don't intentionally belittle anyone. But, it sometimes comes out that way with my big mouth and smarty attitude for which I am eternally sorry for having offended. Mea culpa.

Husband has many attributes that I wish I had, i.e., patience, designing things, working with tools (can fix anything), artistic talent, and fixing and fine-tuning computers by the book whereas I rarely read instruction manuals (I just sort of blunder around until I figure it out logically).

We are your typical tortoise and the hare (guess which one I am). We should complement each other but sometimes we are oil and water. I think I should go back to school to learn to be more laid back.

(We have one friend who always kids us about my never allowing husband to drive his fancy red truck. I guess I should let him drive occasionally.)

 
At February 01, 2006 3:41 PM, Blogger Alipurr said...

My husband is actually impressed that I know phone numbers from at least 3 pizza delivery places. I consider it one of the many good things I learned in college. Or maybe he is just surprised because I can remember that but have trouble remembering lots of other things....hmmm

 
At February 01, 2006 7:10 PM, Blogger TUFFENUF said...

Ask hubby to spell Lynyrd Skynyrd, (maybe I can't spell it either) but everyone always gets it wrong!

 
At February 02, 2006 12:20 AM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

Motherkitty,

You are such a good sport. I'm so glad I haven't hurt your feelings.

I love the way you think about things so much (I do too!), and I especially appreciate your very caring and giving nature. You are part of my world now, and I speak about you to my real-life friends, and to Fatty. I can't help it... you feel like a friend to me.

Wish I could hug you, but instead... XOXOXOXO!

Jellyhead

 
At February 02, 2006 11:12 AM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

I bet you would be great on Jeopardy, you should try out! Here's one for you - what book do I think of (by one of your favorite authors) when I am hiking in the woods and trip on a rock, I always have to look down to make sure it is actually a rock...

 
At February 02, 2006 1:19 PM, Blogger Motherkitty said...

Susan, is it "The Tommyknockers"????

Oooh, a very scary book indeed next to "It".

 
At February 02, 2006 1:42 PM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

Of course! I knew you would get it.

 
At February 03, 2006 10:17 AM, Blogger tomlaureld@yahoo.com said...

Family photo is now
http://laurelrose.com/Family/FAMILYPHOTO.HTM

I dropped the www.

 
At February 07, 2006 8:27 AM, Blogger Franny said...

I love that quote. I am gonna cross stitch it and put it over my doorway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home