Thursday, November 09, 2006

We are so blessed

Over the river and through the woods
To Grandmother's house we go
The horse knows the way to carry the sleigh
Through white and drifted snow

Over the river and through the woods
Oh how the wind does blow
It stings the toes and bites the nose
As over the ground we go

Over the river and through the woods
To have a full day of play
Oh, hear the bells ringing ting a ling ling
For it is Thanksgiving Day

Over the river and through the woods
Trot fast my dapple gray
Spring o'er the ground just like a hound
For this is Thanksgiving Day

Over the river and through the woods
And straight through the barn yard gate
It seems that we go so dreadfully slow
It is so hard to wait

Over the river and through the woods
Now Grandma's cap I spy
Hurrah for fun the pudding's done
Hurrah for the pumpkin pie

We are getting excited about the upcoming holidays. There is so much to do and husband has "suggested" that I start cleaning the house for company. (I started to say that he "ordered" me to clean the house, but that wouldn't be true.) The menu is planned in my mind and all I have to do is start writing out my grocery list. My turkey has been ordered and I will pick it up on the 17th.

In a way it really doesn't seem like almost Thanksgiving. It was actually 75 degrees here today and we were running around in our shirt sleeves. By the weekend, however, we can expect cooler, wetter weather. When the holiday actually rolls around, the frost will really be on the pumpkin. It will be a great time to eat, drink, and be merry. It will also be good football watching for the guys. The girls will probably play games.

Daughter and the granddaughters are planning to come over a day early so we can make pies and start the cooking. The girls always look forward to cooking and baking with their grandmother and their grandmother likes nothing better than to get all our hands involved in preparing something good to eat. I know that as these girls grow up, they will always remember coming to grandmother's house and cooking or baking something.

This year I'm especially thankful for so many things. We are expecting a new grandbaby in May, I have recovered from my knee replacement surgery, husband and I are both in relatively good health, all our other relatives are doing well, nobody is out of work, we are not starving, we have two relatively new working vehicles, and we are happy with our lives. What more could you ask for?

I am also thankful for so many wonderful blogging friends. You have all kept me sane and happy during this past year or so. For this I thank you.

So, dear lord, thank you for all the blessings we have in our lives. May everyone we know be as blessed and full of love as we are.

7 Comments:

At November 09, 2006 11:57 PM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

Motherkitty, you truly are blessed. You deserve every blessing, and more :)

 
At November 10, 2006 5:53 AM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

I believe you do like the holidays, your mood is just oozing happiness!

I believe I would have 'suggested' that HE might want to HELP clean the house...

I am glad you are so excited, and hope all goes as planned.

 
At November 10, 2006 6:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do have so much to be thankful for. I'm glad you have such happiness in your life!

I always look forward to the holidays, too. Unfortunately it's a little more stressful for us with families on opposite ends of the state, and some relatives in far-away locations like Florida and Arizona.

 
At November 10, 2006 11:31 AM, Blogger Alipurr said...

Same to you, Mom. We are getting excited too

 
At November 12, 2006 7:02 AM, Blogger Kerri said...

What a lovely post to read this Sunday morning Motherkitty. You are such a sweetheart, and yes, truly blessed with a wonderful family. Nothing is more precious than spending time with your loved ones. My grandsons love to help their mom bake cookies for Christmas. I'd love to have them close enough to help me!
I really enjoyed reading that whole poem. I don't think I've seen more than the first 2 lines before.
Happy Sunday to you!

 
At November 12, 2006 1:42 PM, Blogger Rosa said...

Isn't this just a blessed time of year! I, with you, love it. Anticipation is so exciting when it comes to seeing family and gathering for good memories in the making. I love it!! Cheers to what we have to look forward to and be thankful for! xoxo PS Love all the pics of your kids and animules!

 
At November 13, 2006 11:46 AM, Blogger Susie said...

You are richly blessed! What fun to bake with your granddaughters!
You're making such wonderful memories for them.
You are indeed a blessing to me and our blogging world!
xoxo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home