Friday, March 07, 2008

Feeling sorry for myself

Last Saturday I was feeling completely down in the mouth. I had wanted to get out of the house, do something, go someplace, see others, anything other than sit looking at each other. Husband, on the other hand, didn't want to budge because he thought he would have to spend some money (he knows me too well).

So here I was, sitting in my van alone outside my pharmacy while I waited for a prescription to be filled, feeling completely sorry for myself. While I waited, I decided to call my daughter Alipurr to see what she was doing. During the conversation, she kept asking the most inane questions, such as "where exactly are you" and "what are you fixing for dinner." I told her I was thinking of driving out of town to run an errand, but she kept saying that this errand could wait and that I didn't need to travel by myself.

Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye I glimpsed a green van pull in next to me. My, I thought, that looks just like daughter's van. As I was just about to say that very thing to daughter,

Surprise, surprise, surprise

There she was sitting grinning down at me. With my mouth dragging on the ground from total shock and surprise, I approached her window. I could barely speak -- all I could do was cry, for what could be better when feeling sorry for one's self than have daughter come visit with the grandkids.

And, boy, did we visit! We ate, we played games, we ate, we worked puzzles, we ate, we watched DVDs, we ate, we chased after the baby, and finally, we ate. Those children were bottomless pits. It seems that every 15 minutes I was fixing something for the munchkins to nosh on. (In between, we washed a lot of dishes.)

Baby brother, eating

Little sister, eating

Dancer girl, eating

Baby brother, following in his father's footsteps

After two days, we were all pleasantly exhausted. It was a great visit and we so enjoyed having daughter and her three young'uns come see us.

Do I still feel sorry for myself? No. What a great surprise. I could use more of these unannounced visits. It's great for chasing the blues away.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At March 07, 2008 4:58 PM, Blogger Alipurr said...

glad we could oblige, m'am. You are my favorite person to surprise....

 
At March 08, 2008 2:14 PM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Loved, loved, loved that post!!!

Surprises like that one are the best surprises a mother could get and didn't she come just in the nick of time to save the day?

I'm glad that Alipurr and the g-kids came for a visit so that we could see their happy little faces in your pictures.

You must still be beaming with joy and smiling each time you think of that wonderful surprise.

 
At March 09, 2008 10:35 AM, Blogger tomlaureld@yahoo.com said...

I love the photos. The children are at home today playing the snow in Murray, KY. I tried post yesterday but the blogger comments were done for the count.

 
At March 10, 2008 1:21 PM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

What a great story! Did she have ESP for MOM, or did DAD call and 'suggest' this surprise? Nothing like grandkids to lighten the mood!

 
At March 19, 2008 9:05 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

What a wonderful surprise MK! You have a very special daughter. It sounds like just what the Dr. ordered to cheer you up. How could you not smile constantly surrounded by those sweet faces :)
Glad to see you posting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home