Sunday, April 26, 2009

Scary Stuff


Have you read this book? It's one of my favorite Stephen King books and I've read it probably a dozen times (and seen the movie). My doctor, in fact, is reading it right now. It's all about a super-flu that becomes a pandemic and kills off most of the people in the world in a matter of a few weeks. Are you scared yet?

You should be. Because that's what happening in the world today with the Swine Flu epidemic in Mexico that's spreading everywhere, including the United States.

Even if you've had your flu shot for this season, you can count yourself out of luck because this is a new strain, baby. No vaccine to cover this one.


My advice to you? Cover your mouth (maybe your face) when you cough and/or sneeze, keep out of large crowds, no kissing on the mouth, and wash your hands all the time. If you see someone who appears sick, run do not walk away from them fast.

Are the pigs trying to get revenge on us for using them as a food source?

Above all, if you have plans to vacation in Mexico, forget about it. Not only do they have drug wars, Montezuma's Revenge, killings, kidnappings, and bad water, they are now serving up the super-flu free of charge.

Don't forget. Stay home, stay out of crowds, keep away from anyone who has just come back from Mexico, and above all, wash your hands all the time. Be sure to read The Stand.

By the way, during my recent hospitalization, I kept a bottle of hand sanitizer on my bedside table. I used it very frequently (like every time time I coughed, sneezed, or spit out something nasty from my lungs). My doctor commented that this product was pure alcohol and acts like Napalm if exposed to an open flame. That's also scary.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At April 26, 2009 9:33 PM, Blogger Susie said...

I haven't read this book and may wait on it. I'm scared enough already with our proximity to Mexico. I sent you a note on Facebook with a bit more details.
I'm hoping this swine flu dies out as fast as the one in the 80's. I took a class and then gave swine flu injections. Most of our town turned out to get the immunizations.
xo

 
At April 26, 2009 10:46 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

MK, I was sorry to read you had been sick and in the hospital. Thank goodness you are better and now at home. Hopefully you are resting and taking care of yourself.

My DIL just gave me this Stephen King book to read. It was her mothers book. I'm kind of afraid to begin reading it right now.

We have a confirmed case of swine flu here in Ohio. It is a 9 yo little boy who had recently returned home from Mexico. They have closed the entire school (in Cleveland) where he goes for this entire next week.

Take care MK...sending good thoughts your way!

 
At April 27, 2009 7:24 PM, Blogger Motherkitty said...

Thanks, Susie and Cathy, for your comments. Went to the MD today for my checkup and he declared me on the mend, lungs clear. I'm off until 5/4/09 then can go back to work. I still have a week's worth of breathing treatments to do and am still trying to regain all my strength. Good thing is that I've already lost 6 lbs since I've been home, and that's a very good thing.

I'm also staying home an extra week to see what develops with the swine flu scare. I certainly don't want to be around a lot of sick people right now if my immune system is not back 100 percent.

 
At July 04, 2009 7:47 AM, Anonymous Rhea said...

I didn't realize that was the subject of The Stand. I am interested and will go get a copy. I read a really scary book about Ebola virus. I think it was called The Hot Zone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home