Monday, March 09, 2009

Passages

My, how time flies. Today marks the 13th wedding anniversary of our daughter and son-in-law. When husband and I were married 13 years, our son was already 11-1/2 and our daughter was 10. Allison's children are only 7, 4, and 21 months. As we mark the passages of time, we are reminded of those who went before us and those who will come after our passing. Hopefully we will still be alive when our beautiful grandchildren begin to mark their own passages, such as graduations, marriages, and children of their own. I would love to be a great-grandmother -- but all in good time. Both of us intend to live a long time because we know the future will be as interesting as the past.

Husband and I have changed a great deal since we met in 1967. Husband was a long-haired hippy, straight off a commune in northern California and I was a professional working girl (weekend hippy) from Chicago. We met and our lives changed forever. I even grew my hair very long in the early days of our marriage and was known to wear some pretty hip/funky clothes.

Once we started having children, however, we both changed. We both cut our hair, for instance, and polyester became part of our lives.

1974, Laurel and Tom, Allison 3 and Eli 4-1/2
Married December 15, 1968 (6 years)

1989, Laurel and Tom, married 21 years, Allison 18 and Eli 19-1/2
(At my parents' 50th Wedding Anniversary Party)

March 9, 1996, Wedding Day
Allison and Jason

May 15, 2004, Wedding Day
Eli and Aprilyn

December 13, 2008, our lovely children and grandchildren

December 14, 2008, Tom and Laurel
Our 40th wedding anniversary party

March 5, 2009, Allison and children

We've all aged (gracefully we hope), put on weight, and added some grey to our hair. Husband only wears Hawaiian shirts these days and I'm still working (he's retired).

Our children have been a blessing to us over the years. Our grandchildren love us almost as much as we love them. My heart swells and my eyes tear up when I see them.

We wish our daughter and son-in-law many more happy years of marriage on this special occasion. Their marriage ceremony was captured on video and we can go back and revisit the joy of the occasion whenever we want.

If we are lucky enough, based on family longevity, we will still be alive when daughter and son-in-law celebrate their 40th anniversary. Wouldn't that be something to behold?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At March 09, 2009 2:26 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

These are great pictures of the past and of the present. I love this post.

 
At March 09, 2009 2:53 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Dear MK,

Loved seeing the pictures of your wonderful family through the years.
Like you, I'd love to be there for the important moments in my grandkids' lives. God willing, I will be!
Happy Anniversary to your daughter and her husband. The little ones have grown so much!
xoxo

 
At March 09, 2009 3:16 PM, Blogger Alipurr said...

Happy Anniversary to me! Thanks Mom, this is a lovely post!! Love it! It seems like yesterday that I was a little kid and now I am all grown up with a family of my own. whoa. Trying not to blink, because my little ones will be all grown up before we know it...

 
At March 09, 2009 10:12 PM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Those are great pictures Motherkitty and a lovely post.

Happy Anniversary to Alipurr & Long Haired Daddy, and I'm sure that you & Tomas will be here to help celebrate their 40th anniversary as well and to see your grandchildren go through all the wonderful & important phases of their lives.

 
At March 12, 2009 1:02 AM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

You have such a lovely family Motherkitty.

Great to hear from you :-)

 
At March 14, 2009 4:55 PM, Blogger MrsGreenThumb said...

Nice post, sister, I hope you and your family have many, many more happy years. Love to you all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home