Wednesday, May 06, 2009

I Remember Mama

This is how I remember my mother. She was always sewing something for someone. I would sit at her knee, watching her for hours, as she created her magic with her old Singer, a needle, and some thread. I own that old Singer now and feel her presence every time I use it.

This is also how I remember my mother. The year was 1989 and the occasion was my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. My Aunt Mamie hosted a Sunday morning brunch for a large party of family and friends at a very nice hotel in Chicago. Pictured is my mother Sara, me, and my sister Karen.

Since that wonderful day in 1989, a lot has changed. Our mother and our father are no longer with us -- she passed on in 1993 following open heart surgery and he died in 1994. My sister and I are both grandmothers and look forward to many happy years with our families. My sister and I don't get to see each other very much, but we have the pleasure of speaking to each other on a daily basis.

As we get together with our families this Sunday to celebrate Mother's Day, please know that I wish each and every one of my women family members and friends love and happiness. Please also remember the grandmothers, aunts, and cousins who are no longer with us.

While we honor all our mothers
with words of love and praise.
While we tell about their goodness
and their kind and loving ways.
We should also think of Grandma,
she's a mother too, you see....
For she mothered my dear mother
as my mother mothers me.
Author Unknown

Sam and Clara (my mother's parents), 1952

Rebecca (my husband's mother)

I wish I could say that this is how I remember my mother-in-law, but she disappeared with no trace in 1945. This is the only image we have of her as an adult. Rebecca, wherever you are, we wish you love and peace, and wish we could celebrate this Mother's Day with you in person.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At May 06, 2009 5:53 PM, Blogger tomlaureld@yahoo.com said...

Happy Mother's Day

 
At May 06, 2009 11:27 PM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I completely forgot that Mother's Day was almost here, until Sharon reminded me of it today when she announced that she had invited all the rest of the kids and their families over for supper Saturday afternoon to celebrate Mother's Day...Sharon is doing the cooking.

Happy Mother's Day! and I hope that you don't have to work on Mother's Day.

 
At May 06, 2009 11:33 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Hi Laurel,
What a wonderful tribute to your Mom! I know you miss her very much especially at this time of year.
It's a very tough time for me too as my Mom passed just after Mother's Day seven years ago.
Hope you have a wonderful celebration and enjoy some family time!
xoxo

 
At May 07, 2009 9:09 AM, Blogger MrsGreenThumb said...

And I wish you a happy Mother's Day as well. I too have been remembering our mother. What a special person she was! Everyday when I don't feel like working, I remember that she never let anything stop her. She worked through every handicap and every problem. She would be proud of us and our lives, our children and our grandchildren. I so wish she was here to share our joy in our family. We talk about what she would think and feel. I miss her so much every day but even more now that Mother's Day is here. Love you sister.

 
At May 07, 2009 3:54 PM, Blogger Alipurr said...

mom, this is very sweet, brought tears to my eyes, love you
Happy Mother's Day.
see you on sunday

 
At May 07, 2009 9:17 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

Have a great Mother's day this weekend MK. You have a beautiful family and I love that pic of you, your mom and your sister. I have lots of pics of my mom and of my sister but I can't find one of the 3 of us together.

I watch for updates here often.

 
At May 09, 2009 11:45 AM, Blogger Alipurr said...

I always remember Grandma sewing, too. I hope my kids grow up and remember me that way, as such a giving and loving person, always making things for other people

 

Post a Comment

<< Home