Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The "How Smart Are You?" Quiz

I was casually scanning my e-mail today when I came across this little quiz that someone had sent me. And, I thought you might just enjoy answering a few questions to test your mental dexterity.

The six questions are deceptively simple. Keep that in mind when answering them.

So, good luck. The answers are at the bottom of this post, so no fair peeking until you complete the quiz.

Let me know how you did.



1. What do you put in a toaster?

2. Say "silk" five times. Now spell "silk". What do cows drink?

3. If a red house is made from red bricks and a blue house is made from blue bricks and a pink house is made from pink bricks and a black house is made from black bricks, what is a greenhouse made from?

4. Twenty years ago, a plane is flying at 20,000 feet over Germany. If you will recall, Germany at the time was politically divided into West Germany and East Germany. Anyway, during the flight, TWO of the engines fail. The pilot, realizing that the last remaining engine is also failing, decides on a crash landing procedure. Unfortunately the engine fails before he has time and the plane crashes smack in the middle of "no man's land" between East Germany and West Germany. Where would you bury the survivors - East Germany or West Germany or in "no man's land"?

5. If the hour hand on a clock moves 1/60th of a degree every minute, then how many degrees will the hour hand move in one hour?

6. Without using a calculator - You are driving a bus from London to Milford Haven in Wales. In London, 17 people get on the bus. In Reading, six people get off the bus and nine people get on. In Swindon, two people get off and four get on. In Cardiff, 11 people get off and 16 people get on. In Swansea, three people get off and five people get on. In Carmathen, six people get off and three get on. You then arrive at Milford Haven. What was the name of the bus driver?

ARE YOU READY FOR THE ANSWERS?

1. Answer: Bread. If you said "toast," then give up now and go do something else. Try not to hurt yourself.

2. Answer: Cows drink water. If you said "milk," please do not attempt the next question. Your brain is obviously overstressed and may even overheat. It may be that you need to content yourself with reading something more appropriate such as "Children's World."

3. Answer: Greenhouses are made from glass. If you said "green bricks," what the heck are you still doing here reading these questions?

4. Answer: You don't, of course, bury survivors. If you said ANYTHING else, you are a real dunce and you must NEVER try to rescue anyone from a plane crash. Your efforts would not be appreciated.

5. Answer: One degree. If you said "360 degrees" or anything other than "one degree," you are to be congratulated on getting this far, but you are obviously out of your league. Turn your pencil in and exit the room.

6. Answer: Oh, for heaven sake! It was YOU. Read the first line!!!

So, how did you do?

I think the key to staying young is keeping your outlook positive and your mental capabilities at maximum levels. The fastest way to lose brain cells is to let them stagnate.

A close friend once gave me a counted cross-stitch that says, "Of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most." Hopefully, I won't ever lose my mind.

9 Comments:

At February 28, 2006 10:30 PM, Blogger bornfool said...

I had heard most of these or similar ones before. The degrees one almost got me.

 
At March 01, 2006 12:20 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

I knew them because someone sent this to me recently in an e-mail. Otherwise I would have been a real dufus at it!

 
At March 01, 2006 6:55 AM, Blogger tomlaureld@yahoo.com said...

I have seen similar test so I was aware of the trickery involved. I assumed that the hour hand moved 360 degrees on the face of the clock. That was my only mistake.

 
At March 01, 2006 8:19 AM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Hooray!!!
I got them all right.

Very cute
test.
I've never seen this quiz before.
Although before reading #6 all the way through...I was busy counting the number of people on the bus. If I would have just read the question first, I could have saved myself time.
It was fun though.

Good job Motherkitty and thanks to your friend who sent you this delightful little quiz.

NOW FOR THE BIG TEST...passing the word verification test below.

 
At March 01, 2006 8:25 AM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

I also received this as an email a while back, and rushing through it, did poorly. The lesson for me is to s-l-o-w down! Thanks for sharing.

 
At March 01, 2006 8:43 AM, Blogger Motherkitty said...

Well, it seems as if I have contributed to the litter and clutter in the blogosphere by recycling this little test. If you've seen it before, sorry. If you haven't, I hope you enjoyed it.

I will try to write something a little more personal next time.

 
At March 01, 2006 9:32 AM, Blogger MrsGreenThumb said...

Yikes, my mind must be in a fog because I can't breathe from my cold. I think I missed most of them, and I've seen this before. It was fun though.

 
At March 02, 2006 6:49 AM, Blogger Alipurr said...

i got them all right. what do i win?

 
At March 02, 2006 12:03 PM, Blogger Motherkitty said...

Alipurr, you win my vote of confidence, my congratulations, my heart, and my love. I knew you could do it (although I had a problem with several).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home