Sunday, November 12, 2006

Two kids and their pets

Son and Ghengis Khan

Daughter and Patches

We've always had pets in our house. Our children had numerous puppies, kitties, hamsters, and fishies. We even had two ducks once -- Hari and Kari -- who stayed until they flew away one fine fall day. The kids even wanted birdies in a cage but we didn't think they would last long in a household full of kitties. It was a regular zoo at our house over the years.

Guess who mostly took care of these lovely animals? Right. It was mom. Mom bought the food, took the sick ones to the vet, delivered countless kittens, and had the animals neutered and spayed. I was even asked to take care of a dove with a broken wing once. This bird resided in our garage until it was healthy and released back into the wild. We buried those that went to animal heaven in our back yard, under the big Hackberry tree. It's a regular pet cemetery and many a service was held there.

The children loved those pets and the pets adored the children. In fact, all the children in the neighborhood loved coming over to play because of all the animals.

Over the years, however, mom and dad got tired of the mess and expense, and we all were upset when one of the animals died on the road. After the kids left home, we gradually pared the pets down to a more manageable number. No more dogs because we don't have a fenced-in yard. Our cats are smart enough to avoid getting run over these days and mostly stay in the house (to eat and sleep). The fishies don't do much but swim back and forth in their large tank.

We are now down to five cats, two kittens, and five fishies. The five cats have been spayed and the kittens will be spayed when they are old enough. That's enough animals for me to take care of.

The kids' lifelong love of animals has followed them into their adulthood and they each have cats living in their homes. Thankfully they married spouses who also love animals. The granddaughters love their kitties too. I have tried to instill in the kids the need to neuter and spay their animals and they have been good about doing this. Somehow, however, we all manage to have more animals than we need residing in our houses. Oh, well.

My philosophy is that we are all calmer and more sensitive because of these wonderful pets. My kids turned out to be loving, caring individuals and that's all a mother could ask for.

13 Comments:

At November 12, 2006 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My parents had a rule: You can have as many pets as you like. Outside. And YOU are responsible for their care and upkeep.

We did have an indoor cat. Over the years I had cats and dogs--many many. Snails. Tadpoles to Frogs, then released. Rabbits. Turtles. Rats (for a science project--they lived in the laundry room). And that didn't include the farm animals. My family had cattle and pigs, and a few chickens. I always had a pet of each, even if it did go to slaughter eventually. All the cows had names, all the pigs were my friends, and I had a chicken named Blackie that I adored. Perhaps my favorite was Arthur, the Angus Bull that I raised on a bottle and who was so sweet you could sit on his back.

And I took the love of animals with me--while we don't currently have space for livestock (although I'd dearly love to) we have 4 cats (2 in and 2 out), a hamster, and a fish tank. No dog, simply because we live too close to the highway and the one we had got hit.

 
At November 12, 2006 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sheesh, I totally forgot the ponies/horses. Annabelle the pony, Cookie the horse, and Skipper the horse. All mine, all my responsibility. How could I forget the horses?

 
At November 12, 2006 9:25 PM, Blogger MrsGreenThumb said...

There must be some inherent gene in us that we love our animals Only one of my sons has a cat. No dogs except mine. But the grandchildren love to come to our house to play with the critters. I don't know what life would be like without the 4-legged kids. They make me very happy to come home to wagging tails and kisses. My kitty likes to groom me. She's the only cat we've ever had that did that. You have really enjoyed all your cats over the years. We are both crazed individuals.

 
At November 13, 2006 7:36 AM, Blogger Kerri said...

Those are 2 absolutely beautiful photos of your handsome children MK.
My parents owned a pet shop, so how could I not be an animal lover? Our dairy cows all had names too and my husband was broken-hearted when they were sold in 2000.
Our many barn cats (20 at present) are a carry over from when we had the cows, and we love them all dearly. We are about to give 3 kittens away to a neighbor and do you know how hard it is to part with them? :)
You're right, they do help to make us calmer, more sensitive, loving and caring. Our kids love animals too. It's an excellent characteristic to pass on.
This is a lovely post and your words are wise, as usual :)

 
At November 13, 2006 9:39 AM, Blogger Alipurr said...

very sweet mom

my girls love our kitties, though i am trying to give away as many kittens as I can at this point.

I think i would be happy with maybe 2 or 3 cats, instead of the google we have now

 
At November 13, 2006 10:48 AM, Blogger Franny said...

Five cats! That's a lot of cats...wow... we have a fish (Benny) and a parakeet (Stella). My son wants a cat, but the other two, pre-existing animals would object to becoming prey...

 
At November 13, 2006 11:43 AM, Blogger Susie said...

Great photos of your children with their pets. Pets can be a huge comfort and truly are family members!
I think being a pet owner teaches responsibility at a very young age.
It also fosters nuturing which carries through to adulthood.
Great post!
:)

 
At November 13, 2006 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love cats too MK. Dogs and i don't do well. I am scared to death of dogs, but, my sons are lovers of all animals.

 
At November 14, 2006 2:05 PM, Blogger Smalltown RN said...

See I am just the opposite. Cat's and I don't get along. I have never been a really big fan of cats. Which is funny because I am a Leo...lol. I love dogs. But I am also afraid of them. If I know them I am ok. But not strange dogs.

Hey MK I wanted to send you an email and talk to you about my post from last night. I have deleted it and I want to talk to you about why.

Hope you have a great day!!

 
At November 15, 2006 6:32 PM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

I agree that pets are good for kids - pets teach kids to love and care for those around them.

These photos are *so* cute! Thanks for letting us see these family snapshots.

 
At November 17, 2006 7:41 AM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I love the pictures of the kids and your post was terrific and I echo what you say about having pets.

 
At November 17, 2006 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like your philosophy, and your kids certainly look like fine people. genghis khan never looked so cuddly.

 
At November 19, 2006 12:57 PM, Blogger Redneck Mommy said...

Isn't that the truth.

Great post, Motherkitty.

Now I'm off to go find me more pets. Nixon, the World's Greatest Dog. Ever. needs a brother or a sister to play with...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home