Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Christmas music (as background noise)

As I sit here at my computer terminal, this fine Tuesday morning before Christmas, I'm listening to Christmas carols. Husband has the XM radio going in the living room on the Christmas carol station. Listening to this themed music can really put you in the mood. Some of the songs that have played so far have been:

Christmas Songs

Contents

  1. A Baby Just Like You
  2. All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth
  3. Blue Christmas
  4. Christmas Dinner
  5. Christmas For Cowboys
  6. Christmas In Killarney
  7. Deck the Halls
  8. First Christmas
  9. Frosty the Snow Man
  10. Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer
  11. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
  12. Here Comes Santa Claus
  13. Holly Jolly Christmas
  14. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
  15. It's the most wonderful time of the year
  16. I'll Be Home For Christmas
  17. Jingle Bell Rock
  18. Jingle Bells
  19. Jolly Old Saint Nicholas
  20. Let It Snow!
  21. Mary, Did You Know?
  22. Merry Christmas Darling
  23. Must Be Santa
  24. Nuttin' For Christmas
  25. O Christmas Tree
  26. Pine Cones And Holly Berries
  27. Rocking around the Christmas Tree
  28. Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer
  29. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
  30. Silver Bells
  31. Sleep Well, Little Children
  32. Sleigh Ride
  33. Tennessee Christmas
  34. The Christmas Song
  35. The Little Drummer Boy
  36. The Night Before Christmas
  37. The Twelve Days of Christmas
  38. Up On the Housetop
  39. We Wish You A Merry Christmas
  40. White Christmas
  41. Winter Wonderland

Christmas carol lyrics

Dove

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

from the film Meet Me In St. Louis
Hugh Martin, Ralph Blane 1943
Have yourself a merry little Christmas,
Let your heart be light
From now on,
our troubles will be out of sight
Have yourself a merry little Christmas,
Make the Yule-tide gay,
From now on,
our troubles will be miles away.

Here we are as in olden days,
happy golden days of yore.
Faithful friends who are dear to us
gather near to us once more.

Through the years we all will be together
If the Fates allow
Hang a shining star upon the highest bough.
And have yourself a merry little Christmas now.

I'll Be Home For Christmas

Kim Gannon, Walter Kent (c) 1943
I'll be home for Christmas
You can count on me
Please have snow and mistletoe
and presents on the tree

Christmas Eve will find me
Where the love light gleams
I'll be home for Christmas
If only in my dreams


The Christmas Song

Mel Torme (c) 1946
Chestnuts roasting on an open fire
Jack Frost nipping at your nose
Yule-tide carols being sung by a choir
And folks dressed up like Eskimos.

Everybody knows a turkey
and some mistletoe
Help to make the season bright
Tiny tots with their eyes all aglow
Will find it hard to sleep tonight.

They know that Santa's on his way
He's loaded lots of toys
and goodies on his sleigh
And every mother's child is gonna spy
To see if reindeer
really know how to fly.

And so I'm offering this simple phrase
To kids from one to ninety-two
Although it's been said
many times, many ways
Merry Christmas to you.

The Night Before Christmas

A Visit From St. Nicholas
Henry Livingston, 1808

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there;

The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads;
And mamma in her 'kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled down for a long winter's nap,

When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.

The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow
Gave the lustre of mid-day to objects below,
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a miniature sleigh, and eight tiny reindeer,

With a little old driver, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment it must be St. Nick.
More rapid than eagles his coursers they came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name;

"Now! Dasher, now! Dancer, now! Prancer, and Vixen!
On! Comet, on! Cupid, on! Dunder and Blixem!
To the top of the porch! to the top of the wall!
Now dash away! dash away! dash away all!"

As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky,
So up to the house-top the coursers they flew,
With the sleigh full of toys, and St. Nicholas too.

And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof
The prancing and pawing of each little hoof.
As I drew in my hand, and was turning around,
Down the chimney St. Nicholas came with a bound.

He was dressed all in fur, from his head to his foot,
And his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot;
A bundle of toys he had flung on his back,
And he looked like a peddler just opening his pack.

His eyes -- how they twinkled! his dimples how merry!
His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
And the beard of his chin was as white as the snow;

The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,
And the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath;
He had a broad face and a little round belly,
That shook, when he laughed like a bowlful of jelly.

He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself;
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread;

He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
And filled all the stockings; then turned with a jerk,
And laying his finger aside of his nose,
And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose;

He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle,
And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,
"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night!"

Just listening to these songs really gets me nostalgic and in the mood. I want Christmas to hurry up and get here already. We've had to wait all year for this special day and I've had about all the waiting I can take. I want to see the look on everybody's faces when they open their packages. I want to watch as they eat all the good food I prepared for their holiday meal. I want to listen to their happy talk as they sit in our living room and kitchen. But, most of all, I want to find out if we're having a boy or a girl! I can't wait.

10 Comments:

At December 19, 2006 9:51 AM, Blogger Susie said...

We have our XM station going too! The one that tears my heart out is The Christmas Shoes. Everytime they play it I get weepy!
So...will you find out at Christmas whether it is a boy or girl???
How exciting!!
xoxo

 
At December 19, 2006 11:20 AM, Blogger Franny said...

I am always singing Christmas songs, and you've got me started again. Good on ya!

 
At December 19, 2006 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, MK!

 
At December 19, 2006 8:49 PM, Blogger Alipurr said...

we want to know if it is a boy or a girl, too

Dancer Girl wants a boy as of right now, she says, I love you so much, Grandma.

 
At December 20, 2006 6:59 AM, Blogger Rosa said...

Thank you! As usual, I have all the words WRONG! hehe. Merry merry and ho ho ho!! xoxo

 
At December 20, 2006 2:33 PM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah to you Motherkitty!

PS When you find out (re Alipurr and Long Hair Daddy's baby), will you tell us?!

 
At December 21, 2006 4:29 AM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

Yes, music definitely has an affect on the mood, especially this time of year. Thanks for all the lyrics!

I am so confused, are you celebrating Christmas or Chanukah?

So, Happy Holidays to you (the PC way to CYA!)

 
At December 21, 2006 12:27 PM, Blogger Smalltown RN said...

Hey good friend....

I am post nightshift..should be sleeping...cleaning and surfing the net instead....tummy is really upset....yuck!!

Thanks for the lyrics to the songs...so many of them I know a few lines..so it's nice to see all the words.....

Cheers my friend!

 
At December 21, 2006 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love listening to Christmas songs...thanks for the correct words: I see that I don't always sing using the right words to the songs.

Merry Christmas Motherkitty and I can't wait for your next grandchild to be born either.

They changed my blog to beta today and I can't seem to leave a comment unless it's anonymous.

AIP Sandy

 
At December 22, 2006 7:51 AM, Blogger Kerri said...

I love Christmas music...especially the carols. I wish they'd play more of them on the radio and less of the novelty songs (which sometimes drive me crazy)!
I enjoyed catching up on your last 3 posts and hope you're feeling less crabby now. I really do admire your organizational skills. I'm not a good manager of time...for instance, right now I should be baking and wrapping presents, and here I sit, reading your posts (and enjoying the visit:)
Just wanted to wish you a very merry Christmas and happy Chanukah. I know you can't wait, but it's almost here...so off I go!
Love, Kerri xoxoxox

 

Post a Comment

<< Home