Monday, November 27, 2006

Happy birthday, son

Son and daughter-in-law, 2004

Tomorrow, November 28, is a very special day for my son, my firstborn. He will celebrate his 37th birthday. We are sad that we won't be able to celebrate together this year, but we send him our love and best wishes anyway. We've already sent him his presents (thank you United States Postal Service for the terrific service) and we hope he enjoys what we sent.

I can remember every detail of my labor and delivery back in 1969 as if it all happened yesterday. I was in the hospital during Thanksgiving and I suppose that's why this holiday has always been so important to me. We were very thankful that year.

Isn't it amazing? I think a mother never forgets the details of her pregnancies and childbirths as long as she lives. She may forget the pain, but all the other details remain burned into her soul and memory.

The moment our son was born, I felt awed, relieved, suddenly and overwhelmingly in love, and happy beyond belief that husband and I had produced such a perfect child. I was glad that our son had all his fingers and toes, and he was alert and healthy. The mysteries of life were revealed to us that day. The wheel of life also advanced one notch when I became a mother.

Our son was loved from the day he was born and he still is. We are very proud of him because he is such a nice person, he's intelligent, he's kind, he's generous, and he's friendly. He has served his country as a submariner in the Navy and we are proud that he served with distinction. He also met and married a beautiful and charming woman we are proud to call daughter. They are both special (because they love cats and dogs as much as we do).

Son, even though we can't be together tomorrow on your special day, we will be with you in spirit. We send our love to you across the continent. May your day be filled with blessings and good wishes from those who care about you. Happy birthday, son.

Love, Mother and Daddy

11 Comments:

At November 27, 2006 12:34 PM, Blogger Alipurr said...

Happy Birthday to my favorite brother! My only one, too! love you

very sweet mom

 
At November 27, 2006 1:31 PM, Blogger Susie said...

What a loving post! A very Happy Birthday to your son!
Our firstborns (both sons) were both born in 1969 although mine was born in Jan and will soon be 38.
I do remember every detail of the labor and delivery. I think that's probably because it's such a life changing moment.
And now to see our babies having babies is such a gift...

 
At November 27, 2006 1:46 PM, Blogger Redneck Mommy said...

What a beautiful post.

May he have a very happy birthday. And you too! Because birthdays are special days for mommies too!

 
At November 27, 2006 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MK...I hope your son has a wonderful Birthday. We already know he was blessed from day one with having you for his mother!

 
At November 27, 2006 3:52 PM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Happy Birthday to my favorite nephew!
Love,
Aunt Sandy

 
At November 28, 2006 6:46 AM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

MK, you have great looking kids too! Happy birthday to your first born.

 
At November 28, 2006 6:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

What a great post. Really. He's lucky to have such a great family.

 
At November 28, 2006 7:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm getting verklempt! a lovely tribute. i've heard of that 'mother love' washing over a woman who's just given birth. congratulations and happy bday to your son :) it must be an amazing feeling to see him as a grown man.

 
At November 28, 2006 11:56 AM, Blogger TUFFENUF said...

What a good looking man your boy turned out to be, and more importantly, a good person - thanks to you Motherkitty. Parenting sometimes seems like such a crap-shoot, I wonder if I am doing the right things. I think a lot of it has to do with the way we love our children, and teach them to love. You have a lot to be proud of MK!

 
At November 30, 2006 7:49 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

I hope your son reads these wonderful words MK. You have a gift for writing and such a warm and loving heart.
He has rewarded you for all the love and support you've shown him over the years, by becoming a young man you can be very proud of.
I wish your son a very happy birthday.

 
At November 30, 2006 11:47 PM, Blogger Rosa said...

Happy belated b-day to your son! (Thank goodness we forget the pain or we all would only have ONE child!!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home