Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Visitors in the garden

We had a wonderful contingent of visitors last weekend from these folks.


And also these people.


We knew they were approaching our house when we heard the rumbling of their cycles. Soon we saw this.

Husband and I were so excited to welcome Jimmy, Sandy, daughter Sharon, and her son Zac. They arrived late Friday afternoon in the rain, all decked out in their rain suits. By Saturday, it was very hot, no rain, and we were able to have a fun-filled day. Lots of friends joined us, I grilled out, we swam, we talked, we baked in the sun, we had an absolute great time. They even got me a little tipsy from the Australian white wine our friends brought. The only downside was that daughter and her family were unable to join in the early 4th of July celebration because Little One was running a temperature and they decided to stay home. Oh, well.

Our guests stayed until Sunday morning and then got ready to leave.

Of course it was raining -- again -- so they donned their rain gear

And planned their route

Sharon, leading the pack out of our driveway

Followed by Sandy, who was trying to catch up to Sharon and Zac

We all had a wonderful weekend, despite a few little glitches. We ate plenty of good food, shared some good memories, shared some good laughs, looked at some old family photos, and watched a very funny movie which was all about stopping to smell the roses before it's too late.

Husband and I were looking forward to lots of red, ripe tomatoes from our garden to serve to our guests. I kept checking the garden in the days before they arrived but could not find any. Husband had planted more than a dozen plants -- Early Girl's, Rutgers, Roma's, and Sugar Sweet cherry tomatoes. We were disappointed to say the least.

Early Girl Tomatoes

After our guests left, we discovered some half-eaten green tomatoes lying on the ground and animal tracks in and around the garden. Ah ha, I said. Now I know why we have no tomatoes. Mr. or Mrs. Deer has been coming to the organic vegetable market and having a feast every night. This fellow has even been eating the new shoots from our Kentucky Pole Beans! Yesterday, as we walked around and checked the garden again, we found little piles of deer poop and more tracks.

Around 3:30 this morning, I decided to go out on the deck to see what I could see. I wrapped up in a blanket and sat out there (freezing my tootsies) for more than 45 minutes. But our deer was a no-show.

At least we know they are eating good produce. Meantime, we have found a nice Amish family that has an organic vegetable market. Got lots of yummy veggies from him last week and plan to continue to visit on a weekly basis to fill in what Mr. Deer is eating out of our garden.

We love having visitors. So all visitors to our garden are welcome, whether they are two-legged or four-legged. If you're in our neck of the woods, stop by any old time. Our door is always open to those we love.


Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

At July 03, 2007 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a nice visit! The boys would have been in heaven with all those motorcycles around!

 
At July 03, 2007 9:36 AM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

A family reunion! Nothing better in the summertime. Too bad all your little ones couldn't make it. It sounds like a good time was had by all. I will remember that invitation the next time I am in Kentucky!

 
At July 03, 2007 9:43 AM, Blogger Susie said...

Wonderful to see you posting again! I've missed you and your cheery comments! My dad just returned from KY. I would love to go back there with him just once and have him show me his native state. If I ever do, you can be sure I'll take you up on your invitation.
xoxox
PS Wish you were closer, we've got tomatoes that won't quit!!

 
At July 03, 2007 11:48 AM, Blogger Smalltown RN said...

OH that sounds like so much fun my friend....and wow they all have their own bike..that last one is a big bike...and speaking of deer...yes we have our's as well and all the leaves on the fruit tree keeps going missing....beautiful animals but gosh can they eat!!!

 
At July 03, 2007 1:25 PM, Blogger Alipurr said...

sorry we couldn't come...she is feeling better now

we are getting tons of cherry tomatoes but all the others are still green

 
At July 03, 2007 1:55 PM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

We had a GREAT TIME at your home and I can't wait to come back again. Of course you know you are always welcomed at our house anytime you want to stop by.

We're all still talking about THE FEAST that you prepared for all of your guests...it was to die for!!!
You have got to be one of the world's best cooks. And I'm not just saying that to be nice either...it's a fact.

We're sorry that little one was sick and missed seeing Alipurr and her family, but hope to see them soon.

It's a shame about the tomatoes. You should have told me about the problem with the deer, then I wouldn't have eaten so many of your cherry tomatoes from the bowl in your kitchen. I had no idea that you wouldn't be having any more tomatoes....sorry, but I have to say, they were really good. hehehe

 
At July 03, 2007 9:39 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

We have a doe and fawn that live in our pasture. Since we have no vegetable garden, we are thrilled to have them living with us. This same doe lived here last year with twin fawns. Very cool..

Glad you had a nice visit with your friends...

 
At July 04, 2007 12:07 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

What a wonderful visit with Sandy, Jimmy, Zac, and Sharon!!

 
At July 04, 2007 11:06 AM, Blogger Tammy said...

I just dropped in from Sandy's blog to check out your visit pics...I'm familiar with the area as my parents live in Russellville. I remember going to see them when I lived in Western KY and seeing all the Amish folk on the road. Pretty country...
Happy 4th to you and yours!
:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home