Sunday, May 06, 2007

Unusual visitors

I was talking to my sister in Las Vegas on the phone this afternoon discussing, amongst other things, unusual birds who have visited our gardens this year. She just had a Hooded Oriole arrive at her house.


Suddenly, taking me completely by surprise, this little guy landed on my hummingbird feeder and proceeded to take a nice, long drink. I didn't dare get up to get my camera because I was afraid of scaring him away.



Even though these birds are in the same family, you can see how they differ in their coloring.

We have several hummingbird and seed feeders in front and in back of our house, positioned so we can watch the birds wherever we are. I find I am constantly filling my feeders because we have attracted so many lovely birds. We're also always on the lookout for unusual feeders and try to position them where our cats can't get at the birds.

Unfortunately, I have been "blessed" with some good hunters and have already been presented with several "gifts" from my kitties. I wish they wouldn't do this, but you can't take the wild hunter out of the domesticated animal if they are allowed to go outside when they want to.

Alleycat (14 years old) and Dolly (one year old) watching me
while I was working in front of our house

This is the way my kitties should be -- content to stay inside --
but I know that's not going to happen.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

At May 06, 2007 3:59 PM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

Motherkitty, that bird is gorgeous!

We tried a bird feeder, but never saw any birds eating from it, and the seed kept mysteriously disappearing. Then one day the feeder disappeared...we think possums were feasting from it, and finally took it away!

Hope you're having a happy weekend :)

 
At May 06, 2007 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My indoor cats wouldn't dare step outside. I can leave the door open and they'll sit right on the threshold but not ever get enough nerve to go out. And the outdoor cat won't come in, no matter the weather or how much you try to bribe her with treats. She doesn't bother to hunt birds, either--but she's forever bringing us rabbits and chipmunks.

Our hummingbird feeder had 6 hummingbirds hovering around last night. I got some nice photos of them, too.

 
At May 06, 2007 6:57 PM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

Birdwatching is fun, we need Fatty to take us out birding. Thanks for sharing the great pics!

 
At May 07, 2007 7:58 AM, Blogger Alipurr said...

what pretty birds....our feeder attracts mostly cardinals at this point, i think it was the type of seed I bought.....

If I don't feed the kitties fast enough in the day, we come out to the front porch to lots of feathers, and mostly robins. Our kitties like to get their own breakfast, I guess....

we have also found several squirrel tails (kitty's homemade cat toy) off and on over the years

 
At May 07, 2007 2:26 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Vincent is such a scaredy cat that he rarely brings us gifts. He likes to watch and chase now and then, but he's just not much of a hunter.
Love the hooded oriole. Did you see the scotts oriole I posted?
xoxo

 
At May 07, 2007 3:08 PM, Blogger Smalltown RN said...

that is a wonderful bird.....they have similar colours as the Varied Thrush...which colouring is vary similar to the American Robin...just the marking are different.....thankyou so much for sharing...I love it when people post about birds they see....how wonderful....

 
At May 07, 2007 9:04 PM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I'll have to be on the watch for the orioles...I've never seen them around here but I have seen a bird with black/white stiped wings and a red T on his chest.

Our cats haven't caught any birds but they try. They catch mice,moles,baby rabbits & chipmunks. Today we caught Jybow chasing a big strange dog and we can't seem to break her of chasing dogs. I guess one day a dog will break her of this annoying habit.

Glad your feeling better.

 
At May 08, 2007 10:45 AM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Just talked with Suzanne, and this morning she saw an oriole on her hummingbird feeder. She had never seen one before today and I told her you had one visit your hummingbird feeder too.

I'll be spending today watching my hummingbird feeders since I know that they're in the area.

 
At May 13, 2007 5:53 PM, Blogger Alipurr said...

happy mother's day!! hope your cookout was good, and it was warm enough to swim

 
At May 18, 2007 12:53 AM, Blogger Gwen said...

Hi Motherkitty.
They are great shots of the birds,hope you had a loverly
Mothers Day.
Stay Well xx

 
At May 21, 2007 4:21 AM, Blogger Kerri said...

Glad to see you posting MK, and happy to hear you're past the slump. We'd miss you so much if you decided not to blog anymore.
We had an oriole at the feeder last Saturday and I got a few pictures. What beautiful coloring they have! It's always exciting to see a different bird. I hope we have some that stay, and not just pass through. We've had them nest across the road in past years.
Some of our kitties are enthusiastic bird hunters and have to be strongly discouraged from hanging out on the front porch.
Your daughter is looking radiant :) How exciting that the baby will be here soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home