Sunday, June 22, 2008

Zap and a whiff of ozone

We had a special visitor last night.

It was the hand of G-d delivering a death blow to our house, our satellite system, televisions, pool pump, and who knows what else.

Both of us were sleeping when it happened but our neighbors were standing on their patio watching the storm when they heard a very loud clap of thunder and then saw the lightening and a giant puff of smoke arising next to our pool. Our neighbor friend kindly called to tell us we had been electrocuted. When I innocently got up around midnight, I found a nice note from husband on the bathroom counter telling me about our visitor. I also found two of our three TVs offline.

After arriving home from work this morning, I spent quite a bit of time on the phone calling our insurance claims office, the satellite company, the electrician, and our friends to tell them the pole which used to hold their basketball hoop in back of their house next door was lying on the ground in a million splinters. I guess they also had a visitor in the night.

Apart from the uncertainty of what was damaged, we are experiencing withdrawal symptoms because the satellite repairman won't be able to come to the house until next F.R.I.D.A.Y. What on earth are we going to do until then without television? Will we actually have to start talking to each other?

We experienced a similar situation in February during an ice storm when our electric line to our house was downed and we were without power for a week. We survived that mess and I guess we will survive this one also.

I keep telling myself that things couldn't get worse, but maybe I'm wrong.

I will know more after the insurance adjuster and the electrician get here tomorrow. In the meantime, I have lots of books to read and we can also listen to the radio. This reminds me of when I was growing up in the 1940s and 1950s -- before we had a TV. Now I'm dating myself, aren't I?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At June 22, 2008 4:23 PM, Blogger tomlaureld@yahoo.com said...

I wrote about the same thing but my blog is not as half as interesting as yours. You should write for money. I do not mind not watching TV because I can draw and write; not much talent but I have a love for the language and strokes of pens on white tablets.

 
At June 22, 2008 6:02 PM, Blogger Susie said...

That doesn't sound like a very welcome visitor to me! Thankfully you still have your computers!!
We've had lightening here too, but it has caused several grass fires, some of which are still burning. (none are causing danger to us, thankfully)
Hope your electronic woes are solved quickly and without a great deal of cost.
xoxo

 
At June 22, 2008 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, no. At least it didn't fry your computer (at least, I assume it didn't because you're blogging). We've had it take out phones before, but never enough of a direct hit to blow out tv's.

Glad you're safe...have a fun week without TV!

 
At June 23, 2008 9:48 AM, Blogger TUFFENUF said...

Living in Florida, the land of thunderstorms, I am in constant fear of the zapping! They say to unplug everything during the storms, but I never do. Who wants to crawl around and do such things? I have been lucky so far, but one day I will get hit!

 
At June 24, 2008 3:46 PM, Blogger Alipurr said...

hey mom, glad you guys are all right! have a fan on my computer causing me off and on trouble so I blinked and missed 3 posts, it seems :) love you, so glad you could come last thursday, got your schedule, but my main computer (the one with my calendar) went out the same day i got it :(
love

 

Post a Comment

<< Home