Sunday, December 07, 2008

AETHEIST SIGN


During this holiday season, would anyone dare to declare the above is true? How difficult would it be for the average person to state categorically that the tenets of the major religions of the world are nothing but made-up platitudes invented to control and oppress people?

Since nobody has come back from the grave to prove that there is an afterlife, how can we as intelligent beings rely on faith alone to answer this question?

Because there haven't been any major "miracles" lately, comparable to those in the Bible, how can we continue to believe that a god in heaven is capable of performing them? If there is, why hasn't this god shown us that miracles can ease the suffering of millions of people around the world?

I have a difficult time believing in the goodness of a god who allows an innocent 34-year-old man, who is just trying to earn a living, to become crushed to death by Black Friday idiots at a New York Wal-Mart rushing in to find a Christmas bargain. I also found it difficult to watch a YouTube video of the resuscitation efforts recorded by a laughing black woman at this unfortunate event.

I have a difficult time believing in the goodness of a god who allows millions of children worldwide to suffer and die from disease, famine, and murder.

I have a difficult time believing in the goodness of a god who allows women worldwide to be cruelly tortured and dominated by sadistic men.

I have a difficult time believing in the goodness of a god who allows murder all in the name of religion.

I have a difficult time working with people who shove religion down my throat even though it is illegal to harass co-workers based on religious beliefs.

I have a difficult time getting into the "spirit" of the season because so many have told me that if I'm not on the right side of religion, I'm just not right in this world.

I would love to believe there is an omnipotent being who loves us and looks out for us, but all I can say is, "where's the beef?" Show me the proof and I will be first in line.

For those who absolutely need to believe in a god, you are free to do so. For those who live their lives in fear of committing a mortal sin and going to hell, you are free to do so. For those who believe they were born in sin, you are free to do so. For those who hate in the name of religion, shame on you and may you go to hell, if there is one.

I would prefer to treat others with the love and respect they deserve and be treated the same in return. I would prefer to live in a world free from hatred, fear, and murder. I would prefer to bring happiness to those less fortunate than I. I would prefer to love my neighbor and live in peace.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At December 07, 2008 1:03 PM, Blogger tomlaureld@yahoo.com said...

Motherkitty is putting up Christmas Decorations as I type.

 
At December 08, 2008 5:57 AM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

You go girl, don't hold back, tell us what you really think! Great post, hope the decorating is going well.

 
At December 08, 2008 3:45 PM, Blogger Alipurr said...

It is hard to understand why the world is such a harsh place and why people treat each other so terribly, even in the name of something supposedly good. We humans make lots of terrible and mean choices. And sometimes, with God's help, we make good and loving choices. I really do believe that all good things come from God, and anything that steals, kills, destroys, or is selfish is not coming from God.

I think people should do their best to treat people respectlfuly and lovingly or just leave them alone.

Not everyone who acts in the name of God has His blessing or approval for what they are doing. I think He is loving even if people portray Him as something else.

You would think that especially at Christmas-time people would go out of their way to think of others and show love. It has turned out that this time of year exhibits people's selfishness almost more than anything, and it is a sad thing to see. I think we should continue to look for the good in people.

I think one person can change the atmosphere of the world, loving another person, each person they come in contact with, one person at a time. Just think what would happen if we just treated everyone with love and respect....

 
At December 10, 2008 4:09 AM, Blogger Cathy said...

I struggle many times with many of these things you speak of. I do have beliefs but I also have many doubts.

This Wal-mart thing makes me sick and I have not been to one of their stores since this happened. I was a DM for a retail chain and I have thought and tried to figure out just how it came to be, that a temp. worker, was the person sent to deal with this mob of people? There had to be a manager in that store, and that is who should have been dealing with it. In addition, his experience and skills, as a manager, should have told him this crowd was way to large and to out of control to even unlock the door without security or calling the police.

When did saving a buck start giving us the right to lose humanity and become animals?

 
At December 13, 2008 3:39 PM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

Motherkitty, I know exactly what you mean. Exactly. I also have never managed to 'have faith'. I just try to treat others well, fight against my usual flaws and failures, help others when I can, and create a house full of love. I make lots of mistakes but I try to learn from them.

I can't claim to know there isn't a god, but then I can't claim to believe in one either. Yet, like you, I put up Christmas decorations, and celebrate a time to be with family & friends, and eat yummy homemade food and give gifts.

What an honest and articulate post you have written. Thank you.

 
At January 03, 2009 11:02 AM, Blogger Smalltown RN said...

Happy New Years my friend...it has been a very long time since I have dropped in. I think this is a fabulous post....and I agree with so many things you say.

I was brought up in a Catholic household went to Catholic school, mass every Sunday and then some...but even as a young child I questioned...I was not popular with the nuns nor the priests...there were so many things that I had difficulties with and yet now as an adult I have difficulties letting completely go of that religion in to which I was raised.

I totally agree that we should all treat each other with kindness, respect and dignity...the old do unto others is my motto....and like you said any religion that would allow/approve of it's followers to kill in the name of religion is just wrong.

For so many religious sects in the world there sure is a lot of anger war and lack of tolerance....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home