Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Happy Birthday To My One And Only Sister













Today is my big sister's birthday. I wish I could be with her today, but she lives on the west coast and I live in the middle.

We were both born in the early 1940s so our memories of the era are shared. We have a lot in common, but in retrospect, we are quite different people and personalities. She was always the dominant, big sister, and I was the one who got chased around the house and teased with all sorts of bugs and worms that she dug up or found. (I still have a life-long neurotic fear of bugs and worms.) My sister is the master gardener, but I was the one who was always asked to do her English homework. She could work on anything mechanical and I loved to go to dances and parties. She still can do anything mechanical and can build lots of things. I am the memory-keeper of the family because I love genealogy and history.

We both love to read, but her attention span is about five seconds long. She multitasks so ferociously that I get a headache just thinking about all the things she takes on at the same time. I would rather work on one project until it's done to perfection then go on to something else. Sister knows how to decorate and I live in a jumbled house filled with memories.

She loves to travel and get together with lots of family. I love to stay home and be with just a few at a time. She likes only a few pets, and I will adopt every cat that comes to my house. No, I'm N.O.T. telling how many cats I'm feeding each day.

The one thing in common we share is our love and friendship. We talk one or more times each day. If I couldn't talk with her each day, I don't know what I would do with myself. She's my anchor.

My wish for her on her birthday is much love and happiness.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At June 16, 2009 11:06 PM, Blogger MrsGreenThumb said...

Thank you, your message brought tears to my eyes and I had to get John to share it with him.
It is too bad we don't get to see each other more often, I would be very sad if we didn't talk everyday. Where did you dig up all those old photos? What a hoot. That was great, it was fun to see them again. I actually remember taking the picture where we are both sucking our thumbs. You wouldn't stop so I joined you. I love you lots.

 
At June 18, 2009 10:22 AM, Blogger Alipurr said...

aww, sweet post, mom
you are very lucky to have a sister :)

I wish we could see each other more often too

 
At June 20, 2009 11:07 PM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

Those photos are priceless, and it sounds like your big sister is too :-)

 
At July 05, 2009 7:18 PM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Happy Belated Birthday to Mrs.GreenThumb!

Motherkitty your post to your sister is so sweet and your sister hasn't changed much. I can pick her out in every picture without hesitation. Those pictures are priceless!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home