Friday, October 01, 2010

A Very Special Homecoming

Today is our high school's homecoming. The festivities began yesterday with the usual homecoming parade. Today (Friday) and tomorrow are the county's Pumpkin Festival with all kinds of activities planned. Tonight was the high school's homecoming football game (we are winning) and related activities.

Since our kids graduated way back in the late 1980s, husband and I haven't been involved in school activities. We live next to the school, so in a way we are privy to all the comings and goings on that take place. In fact, you can hear the announcer loud and clear in our house during the game and the lights from the football field light up our back yard.

Today we had our own special homecoming. Because this is now officially Fall, I developed a real taste for homemade chili. As I was driving home from work today, I was talking with daughter and mentioned that I was going to make chili and kidded her about coming over to share it with us. She just laughed it off and said there was no way they could come visit. Later on in the afternoon, after I had finished my bowl of homemade chili and husband and I were enjoying a movie, I received a call from daughter and she asked if there was any chili left and what were we doing this evening. I thought she was kidding. We just laughed and laughed. We hung up and not two seconds later I hear kids running into the house and start screaming for me. Well, what to my wondering eyes should appear but darling daughter and her three young'uns all fired up and begging for bowls of chili. I just stood there with my mouth down to the floor. I was stunned.

They had driven 70 miles to surprise us and to eat my chili. How's that for the ultimate compliment to my cooking?

I love my family more than life itself and spending precious time with them is absolutely the best. I wish everyone I know could experience the joy we felt today with their surprise homecoming.

All I can say is:

Labels:

3 Comments:

At October 06, 2010 5:05 AM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

That is so sweet and you have a wonderful daughter & grandchildren that love you very much and love to surprise you. It's not just about your cooking but I must say that you are a VERY GOOD COOK to say the least. These are the kinds of homecomings that we love the most! and so glad that you get to spend so much time with your grandchildren and daughter even though they live 70 miles one way.

 
At October 06, 2010 5:07 AM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I forgot to say that I also made homemade chili and had a surprise quest stop in too. A guest that just moved to their own home.

 
At October 10, 2010 5:55 AM, Blogger Alipurr said...

it was good to be there. I don't care if my van did break down. We got to eat some wonderful chili, go to a Pumpkin Festival, watch some great movies snuggled up in Grandma's bed, and play some wonderful scrabble games. :) love you mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home