Friday, December 23, 2005

Another year, another bunch of memories

Well, blogfriends, another year is coming to a close. I was just getting used to writing 2005 on my checks and other documents and now we will have to start writing 2006 in a little over a week.

I remember in 1952 wondering what I was going to be doing and where I would be in 1980. And then in 1980, we were all wondering what we were going to be doing in 2000. The past five years have literally flown by with light-year speed. It seems like only yesterday that we were worried about all things electronic, including our computers, when the Millenium hit us. Like all warnings thrown at us by the government, nothing major happened.

I have been a fan of science fiction practically all my life and I have always loved those stories set in the future. Most of these "predicting" movies were wrong, however, but still fun to watch.

So, with the year 2005 coming to a close, I wonder what we will be doing and how will our world look in the year 2025. Will there be cloning? Will there be an end to major diseases? Will there be a cure for cancer? Will there be a cure for the common cold? Will there be space travel to far-away planets? I can't wait to see all the technical advances that will be available to us.

I will remember the year 2005 as a happy one. Nothing bad happened to us, other than my van needing major surgery four times during the year (in fact, it's still in the shop waiting for a foreign-made part). None of us lost any appendages (nor any weight), but some of us lost a little hair on top. None of us had any major illnesses. None of us lost any jobs (we lost them in years past). So, other than a few minor glitches, I would say the positives far outweighed the negatives.

I have not made any resolutions for the new year. If I decide to, I think my number one resolution would be not to have any regrets in the new year.


So, Happy New Year, friends. As one of my blogpals commented, if you party hardy, don't drive loaded.

5 Comments:

At December 23, 2005 5:29 PM, Blogger tomlaureld@yahoo.com said...

Laurel you have just jumped over a whole week in our life and wished us all a happy new year.

 
At December 24, 2005 1:36 PM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

Merry Christmas Motherkitty! I have enjoyed hearing your stories and getting to know you this year.

 
At December 26, 2005 3:02 PM, Blogger Alipurr said...

merry christmas, happy new year, i am sorry we are all still sick. i love you

 
At December 28, 2005 5:35 AM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

Hello Motherkitty, thanks for saying hi on my blog. I was wondering how you were (I gathered from Alipurr's blog and comments that you didn't have your grandchildren with you for Christmas). I hope you had a peaceful and happy Christmas, even if you were missing your daughter and her family.

I do believe in 'post-Christmas blues' - after all the build-up and busying around and togetherness... it can feel a bit flat. Chat to me...I'll cheer you up :)

Jelly

 
At December 29, 2005 6:52 AM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

Ok Motherkitty, tell the truth...do you have writer's block?

I'm really just dropping by to check up on you. I hope you're feeling better, in all senses of the word.

So, any New Year's resolutions? (that is besides, " I will try hard not to get pneumonia this year")

Fondly,
Jelly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home