Saturday, March 04, 2006

This 'n that

Well, this is turning out to be a bit of a disappointing weekend. We were supposed to go visit daughter and grandchildren today, and they were supposed to follow us back to our house to spend several days. But, that is not what's happening.

Seems the girls still have runny noses and slight coughs. And, son-in-law, who evidently has been sick all week, went to the doctor on Friday and came out with a lot of medication. Seems he's still pretty contagious.

I decided that we would not be going to daughter's today after all. But, I think a little more explanation is needed.

Ordinarily I wouldn't hesitate going to see them, even if the girls had slight runny noses. But, I can't afford to be exposed to anything nasty right now. I'm trying to stay healthy so I'm avoiding being around people who are or might be sick. All this is because I'm scheduled for surgery early next month. You know, I told you about the new knee I'm going to get.

Anyway, I've been spending a lot of time at home (much to husband's chagrin), but he's been pretty patient with me. It's been a test of everybody's patience, but we will survive.

Also, I learned yesterday that our son and his wife will not be coming to visit us this month as originally planned. They were supposed to come visit from California in November/December, but couldn't make it then because they had property taxes to pay. Now, it seems, that DIL is unable to take off time from work in March. They also might not be able to make it in April either, although son said they would try. I was very disappointed that we might not see them before my surgery because of a stupid thing like having to pay property taxes on an overpriced condo.

(I just heard husband in living room saying, "Outside, take it outside." Now, that can only mean that our little white ferocious kitty hunter has come in the kitty door with something in her mouth that has a tail attached to it. No telling what I will find when I go in there.)

So, disappointment aside, I think we can survive the weekend. I have a baby shower to attend tomorrow for a friend's daughter and that should be fun. I have always enjoyed baby showers because the expectant mothers are always so excited and happy.

We also have a special birthday this month to look forward to. Our Little Sister will be two year's old on March 14 and she wants a Dora birthday party. It seems impossible to think that the past two years have passed so quickly. She is no longer a toddler, but is growing up so fast we can barely keep up.

The saddest thing is that sister and her husband are going on vacation next week to Costa Rica. They will be gone for ten days. I don't begrudge them their vacation, and I don't want to emphasize too strongly how extremely disappointed I am that I won't be able to talk with her on the phone two or three times a day while they are gone. I'm disappointed that they're not taking us with them! Hope they have fun and bring back lots of neat photos. Can you believe they're going to walk in a rain forest?

Yes, we will survive. Even though we won't be having company as planned, we managed to get a bit of housecleaning and laundry done and that's always a plus in my book.

I Will Survive
Written by Dino Fekaris and Fredie Perren
Originally performed by Gloria Gaynor
(a #1 disco hit for three weeks in 1979)

At first I was afraid, I was petrified
Kept thinkin I could never live without you by my side
But then I spent so many nights thinking how you did me wrong
And I grew strong, and I learned how to get along.

And so you're back, from outer space
I just walked in to find you here, with that sad look upon your face
I should've changed that stupid lock, I should've made you leave your key
If I'd have known for just one second you'd be back to bother me.

Go on now go, walk out the door,
Just turn around now, cause you're not welcome anymore.
Weren't you the one who tried to hurt me with good-bye,
You think I'd crumble, you think I lay down and die.

Oh, no not I, I will survive,
Oh as long as I know how to love, I know I'll stay alive
I've got all my life to live, I've got all my love to give
And I, I will survive, I will survive . . . Hey, hey

Instrumental Break

It took all the strength I had, not to fall apart,
Just trying hard to mend the pieces of my broken heart,
And I spent oh so many nights just feeling sorry for myself,
I used to cry, but now I hold my head up high.

And you see me, somebody new,
I'm not that chained up little person still in love with you.
And so you felt like dropping in, and just expect me to be free,
But now I'm saving all my lovin' for someone who's loving me.

Go on now go, walk out the door.
Just turn around now, 'cause you're not welcome anymore.
Weren't you the one who tried to break me with good-bye,
You think I'd crumble, you think I'd lay down and die,

Oh no not I, I will survive
Oh as long as I know how to love, I know I'll stay alive,
I've got all my life to live, I've got all my love to give,
I will survive, I will survive . . . Oh


18 Comments:

At March 04, 2006 8:52 AM, Blogger Alipurr said...

i am very sad too....and though we will be busy this morning going to mom and tot gymnastics with Little One and then a birthday party with Dancer Girl's friend, I will miss you both. I was really looking forward to you coming. I will miss sleeping over and the baby shower tomorrow. :( later this afternoon would probably be a good time to call...

 
At March 04, 2006 9:30 AM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Ahh..so many disappointments all at once...I'm so sorry. You can come over and visit us & we'll throw you a party. Suzanne will probably be over and the four bears in the woods will be here later too.

I like the song...Jimmy got to hear me sing because I sang it out LOUD as I read the words.

 
At March 04, 2006 10:58 AM, Blogger TUFFENUF said...

Just wash your hands all the time and keep your hands off your face and eyes so you don't catch anything before the surgery. Damn germs are everywhere!

 
At March 04, 2006 1:44 PM, Blogger tomlaureld@yahoo.com said...

Tuffenuf thanks for saying that if I had said that she would of told me to go fly a kite where the sun don't shine cowboy.
Sniffles and contagions do not bother me cause I'll kick there .#.*..+. out the .#.*..+.door.

It was long tailfeathers.

 
At March 04, 2006 1:47 PM, Blogger The Four Bears in the Woods said...

I am so sorry to hear about your plans getting changed. I know this is such a disappointment. It is always a sad time when you are looking forward to something so much and then the plans get canceled. It is VERY disappointing when your children can't make it... if you are like me, I make plans and can't wait for the day my son will come. If he didn't come it would upset me terribly. But you seem to be trying to keep up your spirits and that is good. Hope your day gets better. Take care. Mama Bear

 
At March 04, 2006 3:32 PM, Blogger Lillee said...

I love that song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sorry about your visits. And I hope your surgery goes well, that sounds like it's going to hurt!
Kentucky, eh?? I'm from Southern Illinois.

 
At March 04, 2006 4:29 PM, Blogger Motherkitty said...

Thanks, everybody, for your kind words of encouragement. Here I was feeling all sorry for us having to stay by ourselves this weekend, and all you nice folks came to visit. Lillee and Connie, good to hear from you. Yes, we're from far western Kentucky (Lillee, probably not too far from you; in fact, we're just a hop, skip and a jump away from old Bornfool, Lew).

I'm certainly not looking forward to my knee surgery (total knee), but the alternative is to continue using an electric scooter in Wal-Mart for the rest of my life. Not a good option. Connie, hope your elbow is doing better now. What did they do?

Yes, I expect lots of cake and punch tomorrow. Husband said he wouldn't be caught dead at a baby shower -- prefers to stay home and watch Kentucky play -- but, who can resist going out and having fun with a bunch of women.

 
At March 04, 2006 4:31 PM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

Motherkitty, have you been disco dancing to Gloria Gaynor, too?!

Don't worry about being a bit housebound...you can always escape to anywhere you like in blogland. We will all try our hardest to entertain you. And soon, you will reap the benefits with a new and improved knee.

A big hug to you,
Jelly

 
At March 04, 2006 6:40 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Sorry that things got changed. That does happen occasionally. I know it's disappointing. Seems there are so many people with colds these days.

Walking in a rain forest would be so great!! I'm sure they will love it in Costa Rica.

 
At March 04, 2006 11:03 PM, Blogger MrsGreenThumb said...

I was thinking I would miss our daily conversations also. You really keep me laughing and are good company while I spend so much time in the car alone. We will have a lot to talk about when I get home. I'll send you a post card. :) Loveya

 
At March 05, 2006 6:08 AM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

Sounds like a good weekend to curl up with a good book. Have you read the new King book yet? My hubby recently purchased it while out of town and needing something to read, he just finished it and said he would give SK an attaboy. Not too wordy like some of his. I haven't read it yet. Or you could get out and rake leaves and clean up some of the fallen limbs out of the yard like I did yesterday, ouch - I am feeling it today, not used to manual labor! Hope the rest of your weekend goes well.

 
At March 05, 2006 7:56 AM, Blogger Motherkitty said...

Hi, Susan. Yes, I have the book and have just started reading it. As far as going outside to work, it's still a little chilly. I keep saying I must prune and clean up the flower beds but laziness and too many books keep getting in my way. Thanks for the nice comments and kind thoughts everyone.

 
At March 05, 2006 11:41 AM, Blogger manababies said...

I can understand your disappointment. MIL has a lung condition so we have to be careful with spreading germs (and my oldest is always bringing something home from school). There have been times when MIL was so sad to not be able to see us, she actually cried!

I hope you have a good Sunday. Stay healthy!

 
At March 05, 2006 2:44 PM, Blogger Moogie said...

I'm sorry you got so many disappointments this weekend. I think you are very smart though, to be careful. I'm hoping the surgery goes well for you.

As for the song. I will forever hold your responsible for me singing this one outloud for the rest of the day.

 
At March 07, 2006 4:32 AM, Blogger Neo said...

Kitty - Ah, know that sick feeling. I got home tonite, and now my throats sore. Man, I've been so good with avoiding the flu this year! :(

I didn't know about your knee surgery, but I'll say a prayer for you. :)

Hang in there, your family will be back soon. We all need time to get away and reflect.

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

 
At March 07, 2006 9:15 AM, Blogger somershade said...

I am sorry for your disappointments with your kids,ouch that hurts about seeing your son. I get so excited to see mine and he just lives in winchester. I only get to see him maybe twice a month if I'm lucky. So I am disappointed for you. So I will cheer you up and say I love you and I love your picture that was awesome. I care about your disappointment. I care that you are sad. I know pie and chocolate won't help, so I'm sending you a big hugg full of love and know this truth, your children are disappointed too.

 
At March 07, 2006 11:55 AM, Blogger bornfool said...

I see you and my friend lillee have found each other. She's a S.I.U. fan and hates U.K. but I try not to hold that against her.

Sorry you had to miss your visit. Hopefully everyone will be well for little sister's birthday.

 
At March 08, 2006 9:27 AM, Blogger Moogie said...

I was just checking back to make sure you were ok.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home