Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Vacation's over

I was ordered by husband this morning to get out of my sick bed and start writing in my blog again. Today is the one-month anniversary since I got ready to have my knee cut open and large titanium and plastic replacement parts inserted. So, he says that enough is enough. I guess he's tired of waiting on me hand and foot.

As you can imagine, this past month has been a measure of tiny progress steps and sometimes setbacks. There has been pain, there have been tears, there has been a lot of sweat and effort, and there has been frustration. Progress is being measured by degrees of extension and flexion.

Most of all, however, there has been an overwhelming number of friends and family who encouraged me every step of the way, offered help in any number of ways, sent words of love and kindness, and some who even cooked meals for us. We will never forget these acts of kindness. Your e-mails and phone calls have kept me grounded. They let me know that there is still joy in this world amidst the pain of physical therapy.

Some things I have learned this past month:

It's difficult learning to get out of bed at night to go to the bathroom without waking up husband to help.

It's excrutiating learning to bend your knee when it has been cut and turned inside out.

It's embarassing to expose your bottom to total strangers when nature calls (and they give you large doses of Milk of Mag and stool softeners).

It's easy to lose weight when husband cooks your meals.

Pain killers can be your friend and your enemy.

TED hose, ice, leg imobilizers, walkers, commode chairs, and other sickroom paraphernalia get tiresome after a while.

Since progress is being measured by degrees, I am waiting for the temperature outside to get warm enough so we can open the pool and I can start swimming again.

14 Comments:

At May 09, 2006 11:14 AM, Blogger tomlaureld@yahoo.com said...

Motherkitty's computer crashed before finishing her post here. I saved it to draft but apparently it posted. I saved her work to MSWORD thinking that she would lose whatever she had posted. Kitten Yarn has talked to Motherkitty by phone thismorning and while doing so informed Motherkitty that her post was online.

 
At May 09, 2006 12:46 PM, Blogger bornfool said...

I'm happy to see you back, MK. Blogland just hasn't been as bright in the last month.

 
At May 09, 2006 1:07 PM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I'm so sorry you've been in so much pain, but it looks like the sun is beginning to shine again for you. I think by June you will be in your pool and the real mending will begin.

 
At May 09, 2006 1:44 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Glad to see you up and about! Getting well sounds like hard work. The pool sounds like wonderful therapy, though!
Take good care of yourself.
:-)

 
At May 09, 2006 9:16 PM, Blogger Alipurr said...

very well put, mom...took me all day to get back here to finish reading your post. I know dad said you didn't get to type all you wanted, but it seemed good to me. You can always post some more tomorrow

 
At May 10, 2006 12:49 AM, Blogger tomlaureld@yahoo.com said...

I think I told Motherkitty," That you better start Blogging because every one was very concerned that you were not Blogging. Please Post something."

 
At May 10, 2006 3:59 AM, Blogger doubleknot said...

So glad that you are back. Now you won't get bored and maybe the blogging will help take your mind off the pain.
Swimming sounds like just the thing for exercise.
Miss your comments.

 
At May 10, 2006 10:25 AM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Now we're waiting for ANOTHER additional post...just a few lines to let us know how you are still doing.

We want to make sure that Tomas is feeding you well and that Kitten Yarn and the girls come to visit you often...and that #1 son is calling frequently. Good nutrition and friendly family visits & calls promote healing.

I love you...take care of yourself and I'm hoping that we can see you soon.

 
At May 10, 2006 12:00 PM, Blogger MrsGreenThumb said...

Wish you were here in Las Vegas, the weather is gorgeous. Our pool is 86 degrees, perfect for recuperating. Don't you want to come and visit?
I'm glad you're up and about. You will have a much better summer this year than you had last year. I hope you will take my invitation to heart.

 
At May 10, 2006 12:39 PM, Blogger TUFFENUF said...

Glad to read your blog again. I hope you will continue to recover. I know it is a long road, but just one step at a time. Don't worry about others taking care of you, it is you that is usually the caregiver, I am sure! Let others take the reins for a while. You will be back to yourself soon!

 
At May 10, 2006 9:47 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Swimming will be great therapy for your knee! Hang tough, MK!

 
At May 12, 2006 7:13 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

mk, it is good to know you are up and posting again. I know what you mean about pt, pain and tears. BTW, you beat me at posting, on the internet, following surgery. It was 6 weeks before I even wanted to look at a pc. See, I didn't tell you that before, when you had told me you were going to take a pc to the hosp. with you. I wasn't going to scare you to death prior to major surgery.

I think we should start a sisterhood or something. "The sisterhood of total knee replacements" "Let "NO" man put us under!" Of course, I am just joking and trying to cheer you up a little. Keep taking care of you, and like you said, it is a little progress thrown in with some set backs. The set backs become further and further apart.

 
At May 13, 2006 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww Mother Kitty...I know it must be tough but you are so positive and it comes shining through in this post. Your positive attitude will help you through.

Take care and glad to see you posting again. :)

 
At May 19, 2006 11:14 AM, Blogger Kerri said...

I'm so glad you're back Motherkitty! Sorry you've had such pain and hard work with the physical therapy. You seem to be overcoming your difficulties though with your positive attitude...keep it up. The lovely warm weather will help, I'm sure. Hope you can begin swimming soon.
We are both getting new Dells!! Mine will be delivered very soon. Don't know whether you read about my computer woes. You're lucky to have your very own computer guru!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home