Sunday, March 12, 2006

My New To-Do List

I'm always making lists. It's not that I'm absent minded; it's just that I like to stay organized and it's my Type A personality shining through. (It's also a sign that I don't have anything better to do with my life.)

I have a spreadsheet on my computer desktop to keep track of my monthly bills. I have a shopping list on my computer desktop for items I need at the store or other places like Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Home Depot, PetSmart, or Books-A-Million. If I have errands to run, I will make a list so I don't forget what I need to do. I have a spreadsheet of all my DVDs and videos. I have a desktop mailing list so I have instant access to names and addresses, and to make mailing labels for envelopes and packages. I've even made a list of all my favorite blogpals by adding you to my blogger page links.

I suppose all these lists are leftover habits from my working career. I like to make lists because it bothers me to forget something that I was supposed to remember to do. Besides, as I age my mind tends to wander just that little bit and I tend to have those "aha" moments more often if I don't write it down.

So, in keeping with this lifelong habit of always making lists, I have compiled a new to-do list to serve as a reminder of the things I would like to do with my life. I don't know if I will be able to accomplish everything on this list, but if you don't have goals, then you're just taking up space.

My New Life Goals To-Do List

1. Get a set of new knees (so I can walk again without crying)

2. Write a book (so I can tell all the stories residing in my head)

3. Finish all my needlepoint projects (so I can frame them and stack them in a closet for posterity)

4. Clean the garage (so I have more room to store more junk)

5. Get rid of all the extraneous stuff in my house (so I can walk through the house without tripping)

6. Organize my hundreds of books (so I can find those I have been meaning to read for the past several years)

7. Start sewing again (so my mother's old Singer doesn't rust from lack of use)

8. Lose weight by dieting and exercising more (so I don't have to shop in the ladies' grande shops anymore)

9. Learn to make stained glass windows (so I can see the world through beautiful rose-colored glass)

10. Start having more fun in my life (so I can get the heck out of the house more often and stop blogging all day and all night)

11. Plant more flowers in my yard (so I'm surrounded by beauty and grace)

12. Love each day that I live (so I can appreciate and love those around me)

I may not be able to accomplish everything on my list in my lifetime, but I want to be able to say that I tried (plus, I can get my husband off my back -- he's always telling me what to do). I certainly don't want to spend the rest of my life reciting shoulda, woulda, coulda, and regretting what I didn't do. Even though it's raining this morning (AGAIN!), I love that I am alive another day so I can say "I love you" one more time.

16 Comments:

At March 12, 2006 7:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lists are so essential to keeping me on track at home, work, and life.

You know what? If I think of something that I did, I include it on the list and cross it off right then and there! It not only feels good to do that (even though it wasn't originally on "the list") but I still need to "see" that I did it.

 
At March 12, 2006 9:14 AM, Blogger Alipurr said...

you are already doing many things on your list. you did a good job of listing things that are very doable and within your reach. i love you too...just so you guys know, Little One is going around this morning saying, My Party, My Party....she is soooo excited

 
At March 12, 2006 9:44 AM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

Lists are good. I am sitting here at my desk and can see 3 lists without even trying. I like to make lists, just doing those things on the list is the hard part.

 
At March 12, 2006 10:22 AM, Blogger manababies said...

I like lists too. Lately I've been horrible at making them, or the pile of stickies (which contain my lists) gets mixed up. If I try to remember things in my head, I forget, only to remember in the middle of the night when I'm trying to fall asleep. Plus I am convinced that I spend more money at the grocery store when I try to 'wing it' without a list on hand. Not to mention it's very annoying to keep forgetting to buy the essentials, like coffee.

 
At March 12, 2006 1:32 PM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

The only list I make is a grocery list...I happen to like spontaneity in my life.

My first husband, also a Type A personality, was a list maker...even would put things on a list he had already done, just to cross it off. List for everything...nothing spontaneous about him...everything was perfectly planned and usually didn't live up to expectations, because it was so planned out.

I might jot an event down on the calendar as a reminder, but I'm not a list maker. I pay bills as they come in so, no need to make a list of those.

The only use for my computer is email, blogging, viewing pictures and making greeting cards.

My husband Jimmy is also not a list maker & if he gets up one morning and decides to leave for a month, we call youngest daughter, hand her the checkbook and say...see you in a month, and go.
That's what I love about him...the spontaneity of making a decision on a moments notice and carrying it out without a list.
You ask, what if you forget something?
As long as we have each other, we have everything we need.

I just can't imagine having to keep tract of all those lists.

 
At March 12, 2006 1:52 PM, Blogger bornfool said...

dMy wife is a list maker, too. I need to be because I'm so forget ful. I guess I can't remember to make a list. Ha. Ha.

There are many things on your list that need to be on mine.

 
At March 12, 2006 3:25 PM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

I'm a big fan of lists, too. For me, I think it is because I am not naturally super-organised, and the lists help me with that!

You list of lifetime goals is great - go get 'em!

 
At March 12, 2006 4:04 PM, Blogger somershade said...

I am a list person also. Dad made lots of list.My husband said I make them to cross things off and then make a new list.
Your list was beautiful and funny and made me smile inside,awesome,thanks:)

 
At March 12, 2006 4:20 PM, Blogger The Four Bears in the Woods said...

Guess I am sort of a list maker myself... although I would love to be more spontaneous. I probably wouldn't worry so much if I was that way. But if I didn't make a list of some of the things, like groceries, bills, doctor appointments, school engagements... I would forget. So... I guess I will always be a list maker to some extent except when it comes to vacations.

Good goals you have there.

Mama Bear

 
At March 12, 2006 5:00 PM, Blogger MrsGreenThumb said...

I know, I need lists too. When I forget I either call it early Altsheimers or Sometimes. Having goals are important, who wants to vegetate. You'll live longer and be happier when you accomplish what you set out to do. Right at this moment, I am satisfying one thing on my to-do list...checking my email, writing on my blog and satisfying my incessant need to be on the Internet. :)

 
At March 12, 2006 5:44 PM, Blogger Pirate said...

Except for the needlepoint and sewing i need the same list.

 
At March 12, 2006 8:00 PM, Blogger Motherkitty said...

Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments. Now I know who makes lists like me and who would rather be spontaneous. I would love to be more spontaneous also, but between husband and I, we are two nuts about not forgetting anything. I think he likes to write things down because husband can't remember anything most days.

Pirate, I think the new fad is for guys to take up needlepoint. It's good for the nerves. Welcome.

Alipurr, we and the rest of the family are so looking forward to Little One's party next Saturday.

 
At March 13, 2006 10:34 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

I make a list for groceries. I also put reminders on the table before I go to bed of appointments for the next day if there are any. On Thursday night I put a note on the table that says "Trash Day," since Friday is trash day. I probably don't need the note but I'm in the habit of doing it and if I forget then there's the note to remind me. There is a note on there now of the dog's grooming appointment tomorrow, so I'll be sure to remember.

 
At March 14, 2006 2:13 PM, Blogger Alice said...

I don't make lists anymore because the few times that I did do it I forgot to put the essential item on top of the list - REMEMBER WHERE YOU PUT THIS LIST!

Occasionally I'll make a shopping list and almost invariably forget to take it with me.

 
At March 16, 2006 7:13 PM, Blogger Moogie said...

This is a very good list. And you already know how I feel about the knee replacement. Good stuff. I think I'm going to make a list too. Thanks for inspiring me.

 
At March 21, 2006 4:43 AM, Blogger doubleknot said...

Just read another blog about lists - is it lists day? I like your list but would have to put crochet were needlepoint is.
Do we all have trouble with our knees when we reach a certain age? I have had surgery done on one - which still hurts and was suppose to have it done on the other one but at the same time my room mate was having surgery on his arm so I put it off. I can't help a groan and a moan when I get up or sit down but I am doing things like planting my potted garden - just have to rest and then do a little more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home