Saturday, June 03, 2006

An historic occasion

Happy Birthday, Alipurr

I can remember the exact minute I went into labor with you, daughter. It was 7:00 p.m. on June 4th, 1970-something. The reason I remember the exact time was because I was lying in bed and decided to call my mother. During our 20+ minute phone conversation I casually noted that I began to have regular contractions. They weren't very strong, but they were regular. While we talked, I began timing them and I realized that I was in labor. Your dad and grandmother were very excited while for some strange reason I remained calm and collected. I told my mother to pack her bag and get down to Kentucky because this was "it" -- your birthday.

Because I was still comfortable, we went to bed to get some sleep. Around 1:00 a.m. on June 5th, I awoke and realized it was time to go to the hospital. It took us around two hours to get our stuff together, take your baby brother to a friend's house, and then proceed to get to the hospital all the while remaining very calm. In fact, my entire labor was calm.

You were born around 3:00 p.m. on June 5th. In those days ultrasounds were not routinely done (the dark ages) so we didn't know whether we were having a boy or a girl. When you were delivered and I was told "IT'S A GIRL," that's when I became really excited. Your dad was in seventh heaven and I couldn't have been happier. We now had a boy and a girl -- a perfect family.

I will always remember your knobby little knees. It seemed as if the skin around your knees was way too big for your little legs and just hung in folds. You can see what I mean when you look at your newborn baby picture. Your eyes were dark and your hair (what little you had of it) seemed dark. We would not know exactly how dark it was until you were at least two years old.

We were very happy with our beautiful little girl. This little girl would grow up to be an intelligent, beautiful, and talented woman. This woman later in her life became a mother thus completing the circle.

Our daughter gave us many opportunities to be proud of her and to love her as she was growing up. She is a good daughter for which we are very thankful.

On this occasion of her birthday, we send her our very best wishes for a happy celebration. As her mother, I love her more each day and appreciate her kindness, good sense, sense of humor, mothering skills, beauty, quick wit, and crocheting skills. She is learning to be a gardener, not only of her plants, but also of those she loves.

Happy Birthday, daughter, on June 5th. May you have many more in your lifetime. Our gift to you is our love. As your mother, the memories of your birth and your growing up have been a gift to your father and I all these years. Thank you for the joy you have given us.

14 Comments:

At June 04, 2006 1:10 PM, Blogger Susie said...

I, too, remember every detail of the day my second child (and daughter) was born in 1971. What's really coincidental is that I was also talking on the phone to my Mom when I felt that first contraction!
Happy Birthday to Alipurr!!

 
At June 04, 2006 3:39 PM, Blogger Lillee said...

Aww. Happy birthday
And thanks for the offer of a ride! That was sweet

 
At June 04, 2006 4:14 PM, Blogger doubleknot said...

Happy Birthday Alipurr. What a loving tribute to your daughter - gee your wounldn't be proud of her would you? I feel the same way about my daughter it just feels my heart with joy to know what a great woman she has grown up to be.

 
At June 04, 2006 10:04 PM, Blogger MrsGreenThumb said...

elfpgWhat a nice story about my niece, I didn't remember that story. I do remember that I was envious of you, that you had a daughter and I didn't. I think daughters are closer to their moms than sons. Lucky you. And that's the kind of luck that's important. The bad luck you've been having is just small stuff, life's little irritations. Happy Birthday, Alipurr

 
At June 05, 2006 4:58 AM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

How sweet is that? Happy Birthday Alipurr! and Congratulations Motherkitty and Tomas -for giving life to such a beautiful daughter and for raising her to be the woman that she is

 
At June 05, 2006 5:34 AM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

Great story, happy birthday to Alipurr!

 
At June 05, 2006 9:08 AM, Blogger Alipurr said...

everyone thanks for the happy birthday! I was born in 1971, so mom went into labor in 1971 :) I can't help teasing mom, I love her so much. Hey, mom, can you change that to "A Historic Occasion,"just for my birthday? Only for me, cause if you put "an", I am tempted to say, "An 'istoric occasion" :) By the way, thanks for the scrabble game last week! You made me work really hard! That must be one of the only times in my whole life that I won. Did you do that on purpose???

 
At June 05, 2006 3:44 PM, Blogger somershade said...

That was a very special post.

Happy birthday cuz, I love you,
sharon

 
At June 05, 2006 6:48 PM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Happy Birthday Kitten Yarn and I'm sure it was "A Historic Occasion," for your mom.

 
At June 06, 2006 6:53 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

Kitten yarn, I hope you find this here. I am a day later, but for me, that's really good...:) I hope you had a great birthday!

 
At June 06, 2006 7:44 PM, Blogger Susie said...

You've been tagged :-)

 
At June 06, 2006 9:02 PM, Blogger manababies said...

Happy (belated) Birthday! What a sweet and extra special post. I can tell that you have a very special relationship with one another.

 
At June 09, 2006 5:32 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

Happy belated birthday to your lovely daughter. This is a lovely post by a lovely mom!
It's all just lov-er-ly! :)
Glad you have such a loving relationship. I'm sure you have very good reason to be proud.

 
At June 11, 2006 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home