Thursday, July 20, 2006

The dog days of Summer

It was so hot at our house the past several days that it felt like you walked into an oven when you went outside or got out of the air conditioning. It is almost the end of July and we have hit the dog days of summer. I noticed yesterday evening that my potted flowers were suffering from the heat and all the plants look a little past their prime. I think we need some rain and some cooler weather.

After I finished with therapy yesterday, we decided to get into the pool to relax and paddle around for a while. When we took off the cover, we discovered that the water temp was 96 degrees! Much too warm (especially when it's 102 outside) to be swimming. We drained some and we added more cold water to the mix. When all was said and done, the water temp had only cooled to 94 degrees. It was still a tad warm to swim in but we love the pool. So, who's complaining?

I'm telling you, husband and I really have a terrible life. Working outside when we want to, swimming when we want to, staying inside when we want to, sleeping when we want to, going out to eat when we want to, being with friends when we want to, or going somewhere when we want to. It's almost too much to bear. We are getting spoiled.

Despite the heat and humidity, we have really enjoyed the warm weather and working out in the yard this year. I can't speak for husband, but I don't look forward to winter. No wonder people either become snow birds, move to warmer climes, or sell their houses, purchase RVs, and travel around following the sun and fun. We have several friends who travel to Texas for the winter, and one friend sold their house, bought a fifth-wheel, and plans to just travel at their whim. Must be nice. I'm too much of a traditionalist. Must have a permanent place to hang my hat. Drives husband crazy, but that's just me. I'm a nester.

Anyway, getting back to the dog days of summer. School starts here in about three weeks. When I was growing up, we didn't go back to school until after Labor Day. I think going back the beginning of August is way too early and much too hot. Kids should be able to be off enjoying themselves while the weather is still good. They start football here while the heat and humidity are way too high and too dangerous for the kids. That's just crazy as far as I'm concerned. Football is a cool-weather sport. I don't look forward to school starting again. We live just down the street from the high school and these kids use our street like they were running on a NASCAR track. My cats know to stay in the house when the kids are running up the street.

I hope you all are staying cool. For those who are going on vacation, coming back from vacation, or planning weekend trips to the lake, river, ocean, pond, or swimming pool, don't forget your sunscreen, hats, coverups, flipflops, beach towels, and pina coladas. Above all, stay cool and have fun. It's no fun suffering with a sunburn. For those who have elderly family, friends, or neighbors, be sure to check up on them to ensure their safety in this heat.

4 Comments:

At July 20, 2006 8:31 AM, Blogger Buffy said...

Was just getting ready to post my own 'dog days' bit.

 
At July 20, 2006 9:52 AM, Blogger Susie said...

Normally July is not our hottest month in the SF bay area. We are in triple digits right now! Usually, that's in Sept.
Sounds like you two are really enjoying the summer, retirement and your time together.
I agree with you about having a "permanent place to hang my hat" My house is my home and my haven...

 
At July 20, 2006 10:17 AM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

Yeah, you really have a hard life! But you deserve it, I am sure you both worked hard all your life.

We are going on vacation the first week in August - to the beach, in the hottest part of the year! Hopefully the ocean breeze will keep us cool. I was just surfing for a recipe for sugar-free pina coladas!

Keep Kool!

 
At July 20, 2006 11:07 AM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Even if I was able to buy a travel camper and travel around I would still need a permanent place to call home.

It really sounds like you & husband really have it bad with all the things you have to do, but only when you want to...that is!

Retirement has been so much fun that I don't know why I wasted so much time working. *VBG* I should have majored in retirement and just made a career out of it.

It has been so hot here that I can only stand to be out in the sun every other day. One day I ride somewhere and do something and the next day I rest up and wait for evening or if I'm lucky some cloud cover.

Maybe if I'm lucky it will rain on me today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home