Wednesday, July 12, 2006

I remember mama

I always remember my mama. Had she lived, she would be 96 years old this year. It has been 13 years today, July 13, since she died but to me it seems as if she lives on still, at least in my heart and mind. I always think of my mama every day no matter what I'm doing. I have a lot of her things, and whenever I use them, look at them, or touch them, I think of her. My mother was good, sweet, kind, talented, generous to a fault, a hard worker, and a loving soul. Everyone loved her.

My sister, mrsgreenthumb, wrote her tribute here.

This is my mother in October of 1937. She was 27 years old and had not met my father yet. This picture was taken behind the house she would call home for the rest of her life.


















These are my parents in 1939, the year they were married. They were just starting their lives together and they looked so hopeful and happy. My mother was 29 years old. My sister was born the next year.







This picture was taken by my sister (see her shadow in the foreground) at the lagoon at a local park. We used to go there on Sundays for picnics. My sister and I would swim in the lagoon with the rest of the kids, and our family would enjoy fried chicken and potato salad afterwards. My mother always wore dresses until she became wheelchair-bound, then she felt free enough to wear slacks. Throughout her life, she made most of her clothes. When she wasn't working in my parents' grocery store, she was sewing. She made all our clothes and sewed and mended clothes for other people My mother was probably in her early 40s in this picture.










My parents took very few vacations during their married life. I do remember them going to the Wisconsin Dells one year when my sister and I were close to our teens. We stayed with our grandparents who lived upstairs from us while our parents took some time for themselves. Mother looks so relaxed and happy. She was in her early 40s at this time.












My parents, Sara and Jack, at their 50th wedding anniversary celebration in June 1989. They may not have had a lot of material things in their lifetime but they were rich with friends, family, children, and grandchildren. Everyone loved them.

My parents are gone but are not forgotten. Their legacy is their children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. Their kind and gentle natures are what we remember most of all and what better tribute can we give someone than to say they were a good person.

17 Comments:

At July 13, 2006 9:16 AM, Blogger MrsGreenThumb said...

The pictures you posted were almost forgotten by me. I miss Mother more, I think, as time goes by. I often think she would be happy about how our lives have turned out. She would be so proud of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren. I enjoy using her things that she passed down to us. When I have company for dinner, I always use the pitcher with the silver inlays that our parents received as a wedding present. It's as if they are somehow participating in the festivities. Thank you for sharing your memories.
Loveya,K

 
At July 13, 2006 9:16 AM, Blogger MrsGreenThumb said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At July 13, 2006 9:49 AM, Blogger Alipurr said...

Mom, this is such a sweet post about Grandma. I treasure the times we got to go to Grandma and Grandpa's house to visit, and when they came on the greyhound bus to visit us. I didn't realize today was the anniversary of when she died, thanks for the reminder. I miss her a lot, and wish I could have gotten to know her better. I tell my daughters all about her and hope to be like her in many ways.

 
At July 13, 2006 10:20 AM, Blogger Motherkitty said...

After I posted these pictures, I happened to click on each one to enlarge. That's when I noticed a few things. In the first, I see there's a cigarette in her left hand. Talk about being liberated (in 1937). I think she smoked well into her 60s. In the second picture where mother and daddy are standing in the back yard, mother has curlers in her hair (I originally thought they were barrettes, but I was mistaken). In the third picture, I notice she isn't wearing her wedding ring. Now that I think about it, I can't remember her ever wearing her wedding or engagement rings. I think she always said they didn't fit (I wear them every day and they remind me of her always). She used to keep them put away in her top dresser drawer. As a kid, I can remember sneaking a peak at the rings in her drawer when she wasn't around. In the last picture, she is wearing the butterfly necklace my sister gave her. My mother didn't wear a lot of jewelry, but what she did wear was very minimalist and discrete. She was not a flashy person.

 
At July 13, 2006 10:47 AM, Blogger Susie said...

I loved reading this tribute to your Mom. She was quite the liberated lady. I, too, miss my Mom every single day (and I wear her wedding ring every day)...
Sending you ((hugs)) on a day that I know can be filled with nostalgia...

 
At July 13, 2006 11:29 AM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

MK this is such a lovely tribute to your mother and I truly love the pictures that you have posted and also your comment above...It has brought tears to my eyes and I truly wish that I would have gotten to know this lovely, caring woman you and your sister called mother.

 
At July 13, 2006 12:25 PM, Blogger Heather said...

What a beautiful way to remember your mom.

 
At July 13, 2006 3:53 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

Your Mother was a beautiful lady.

This is a wonderful tribute.

 
At July 13, 2006 7:41 PM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

Motherkitty, your mother looks like such a gorgeous, happy, SMILEY woman! Thanks for sharing these precious photos and thoughts. You must miss your dear mother terribly.

A hug to you, (from not-so-very-far-away!)
Jelly

 
At July 14, 2006 4:53 AM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

Ah, to be remembered with such love is a tribute in itself, and something we can all hope for. Thanks for sharing.

 
At July 14, 2006 6:55 AM, Blogger tomlaureld@yahoo.com said...

This is very nice post Motherkitty. What everyone does not know is that Motherkitty's mom would not back down in a fight; she would stand her ground. Both of her daughters are the same way; they stand there ground and do not put up with any crap from anyone; except me. Nice post.
There is more stuff at Mrsgreenthumb's blog.
Sara was a great lady and Motherkitty's dad was the
King of Pun's.

 
At July 15, 2006 3:43 PM, Blogger Judypatooote said...

Aren't old pictures great....they sure do help our memory don't they. Remember when poloroid cameras where popular....well I am so disappointed because so many of my pictures of my kids you can hardly see because they were poloroid....and fade.....pictures my mom took of me 60 years ago are better than the ones of my kids...

I enjoyed your post, and mrsgreenthumbs too.....it's fun to have a sister, or daughter post and comment on our blogs isn't it?

 
At July 15, 2006 8:08 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Wonderful tribute to your Mom. How fortunate to have such loving parents. I was lucky that way too and I miss my parents so much.

 
At July 17, 2006 7:32 AM, Blogger manababies said...

Wow, look at those photos of her! I am convinced that people were happier back then when life was much slower and perhaps they had more time to concentrate on building and nourishing relationships.

I can tell by the comments that she was loved. And wow, I can see you and Kitten Yarn in her!

 
At July 18, 2006 9:46 AM, Blogger Franny said...

A beautiful woman with a beautiful smile...

 
At July 22, 2006 10:42 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

Such a lovely tribute and warm thoughts of your mom. She was a lovely lady with a beautiful smile. Love the pictures of your parents together too. Thanks for sharing these precious memories.

 
At November 01, 2006 12:52 AM, Blogger Leish said...

I really enjoyed raeding about your mom and seeing the pictures. Very nice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home