Sunday, July 30, 2006

Sunny Sunday Humor

For all my blog friends who may need a little pick-me-up today, I wish to offer the following to brighten your day.

First, I heard about this bit recently in our neck of the woods. Makes you wonder about some folks who call themselves preachers.

A BACKWOODS FUNERAL

As a young minister, I was asked by a funeral director to hold a graveside service for a derelict man with no family or friends who had died while traveling through the area. The funeral was to be held way back in the country. This man would be the first to be laid to rest at this cemetery. As I was not familiar with the backwoods area, I became lost. Being the typical man, I didn't stop for directions. But, I finally arrived an hour late. I saw the crew and backhoe, but the hearse was nowhere in sight. The workmen were eating lunch. I apologized to the workers for my tardiness (who looked puzzled). I stepped to the side of the open grave to find the vault lid already in place. I assured the workers I would not hold them long, but this was the proper thing to do. As the workers gathered around, still eating their lunch, I poured out my heart and soul. As I preached the workers began to say "Amen, Praise the Lord, and Glory (they must have been Baptist). I preached and I preached like I'd never preached before. I began from Genesis all the way through to Revelation. I preached for two hours and 45 minutes. It was a long and lengthy service. I closed in prayer and it was finished. As I was walking to my car, I felt that I had done my duty and would leave with a renewed sense of purpose and dedication, in spite of tardiness. As I was opening the door and taking off my coat, I overheard one of the workers saying to another. "I've been putting in septic tanks for 20 years and I ain't never seen anything like this before."

Finally, our friend Maxine has some words of wisdom for all you bloggers out there who may be suffering from writer's block.

Don't you just love Maxine? She's such a crotchetly old sourpuss. But, never let it be said that getting old doesn't let you keep your sarcasm intact.

Hope you all have a wonderful, sunny Sunday. Blessings to you all. Don't forget. If your man gets lost while driving, you are allowed to give him some direction. Otherwise, he will end up talking to some septic tank out in the backwoods somewhere.

9 Comments:

At July 30, 2006 12:05 PM, Blogger The Four Bears in the Woods said...

Hi Mother Kitty,

Hope you are doing fine. I loved the post. I have always enjoyed Maxine.

I have been tagged by AIP to do a meme and now I am tagging you if you would like to do it. Just check out my blog.

Mama Bear

 
At July 30, 2006 3:43 PM, Blogger bornfool said...

Thanks for the pick-me-up, MK. I've tried that "escape" key before. It didn't work for me or maxine.

 
At July 30, 2006 8:03 PM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Loved the preacher story and you couldn't please me more than to post some of those Maxine cartoons. She's a hilarious old bag and I love that dog of her's.

 
At July 30, 2006 10:17 PM, Blogger Susie said...

I'm with Sandy! Maxine is kind of an old bag, but I enjoy her. Loved the preacher joke!

 
At July 30, 2006 10:26 PM, Blogger MrsGreenThumb said...

My goodness, you're feeling your oats today. Nothing like starting out with a good laugh. It sets the tone for the whole day. Keep up the jokes. Whoever draws Maxine has a wry sense of humor, she's a hoot.

 
At July 30, 2006 11:06 PM, Blogger TUFFENUF said...

When I get to be an old bag I want to be just like Maxine! Wait. . . I am an old bag! . . . come to think of it my attitude is getting more crochity by the day! Thanks, Motherkitty, for the laughs!

 
At July 31, 2006 4:13 PM, Blogger Wystful1 said...

Hi Motherkitty....We used to visit each other a lot. Somehow I haven't been here in eons.

But your blog story about the funeral was a hoot. AND I LOVED all your Maxine cartoons. They really hit the spot for this ol' granny. Thanks for the laughs.

 
At August 01, 2006 7:39 AM, Blogger Alipurr said...

well, if you are going to preach, it might as well be with conviction! Now, if he only had enough conviction to ask for directions! ha ha

 
At August 01, 2006 7:41 AM, Blogger Alipurr said...

did i spell that write? conviction just don't look right two me. somebody please tell me before i loose any more brain sales.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home