Monday, July 31, 2006

Why do we blog?

This question was posed on a blog that I recently visited and it really intrigued me. Why? Because a year ago I would have said it was a crazy idea to have a blog and I would NEVER reveal myself to a bunch of strangers. I would NEVER correspond with anyone I didn't already know. What would I have to say to anyone? And, more importantly, why would anyone be interested in anything I had to say?

I just checked and my one-year blogging anniversary is approaching in September. I have been on this computer for a year!!! My day is concentrated on this computer. I wake up early in the morning and head for the computer. I wake up in the middle of the night and head for the computer. I get on the computer before I go to sleep. I get on the computer in the middle of the day when I should be doing something else. I can't wait to see who's commented on my blog or others' blogs. I can't wait to see who's posted something new and different. What a thrill to see that someone left a comment.

The funny thing is, from reading others' blogs, I find that WE ARE ALL DOING THE SAME THINGS. It's a compulsion -- but, isn't it fun? I love it.

Where could I possibly have met such a lovely, interesting, intelligent, funny, kind, beautiful group of friends in my entire life? And, from all over the world. Just think. We don't have to spend a bundle of money traveling around meeting interesting people. We can do it for free (practically free if you don't count the cost of getting online) and can travel anywhere around the world we want. (Just this morning I visited someone from Viet Nam.)

We may find that, just like in real life, there are some that we really, really like and there are some that we can't stand (for one reason or another). There are some out there that we don't agree with on any number of areas (political, religious, language, topics, styles) and there are a great many that we instantly find common ground with (humor, sharing family stories, gardening, tragedies, medical problems). There are some out there who have tragic, poignant stories to tell that we instantly have feelings for. There are some out there whom we miss because they suddenly, and without explanation, stop blogging. And, we all cry out, don't leave us, we need you.

I don't know about you, but I love hearing from favorites who share stories and pictures of their families, their talents, their thoughts, and their beliefs. I love making new friends. The funny thing is, in real life I'm very reticent about making new friends. I tend to be closed off and closed mouth. I guard my thoughts and feelings even with people I know. But with blogging, I'm free. I can say anything (within reason and hope I don't offend anyone). I find I love to share my thoughts with you, my blog friends, and love it when you share yours with me. (Thanks for the recipes.)

So, why do we blog? Maybe it's because blogging gives us a voice that otherwise would be silent except to a few. Maybe it's because our nuclear families have made us lonely. Maybe it's because as human beings we need each other because that's all there is in life -- each other.

16 Comments:

At August 01, 2006 10:27 AM, Blogger Susie said...

I always love it when I see your site come up in bloglines! This was beautifully written and so very true for many of us. I love how you write and, no, you never offend me with anything your write.
I know we missed you so much while you were getting back on your feet.
It's wonderful to see you posting regularly again!
((hugs))

 
At August 01, 2006 10:41 AM, Blogger Alipurr said...

see? see? I told you it would be fun.

When my computer was gone for two days, my husband joked that I would have to learn to read a book again. Ha ha. I found myself walking up to the empty computer desk out of habit. Definitely a hard habit to live without.

 
At August 01, 2006 2:45 PM, Blogger MrsGreenThumb said...

Sister, you are a bad influence. You got me started and now I'm addicted as well. I sure don't play as much free cell as I used to. :)

 
At August 01, 2006 7:47 PM, Blogger The Four Bears in the Woods said...

I have to say I wasn't sure about blogging either. But now I am hooked! *VBS*

Thank you so much for the sweet comment you left on my blog I really appreciated it.


Take care,

Mama Bear

 
At August 01, 2006 8:12 PM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

I don't know why you blog, but you do it so well!

Maybe blogging is like keeping a diary, except there is an audience to 'applaud' us (if we happen to say something funny or clever or profound!), to console us when we're down, and to cheer us on when life is great. We get to do the same in return for others, too. It makes for some lovely, supportive friendships.

And then there's the fascinating insights into the lives of others ....only a person with zero curiosity could fail to be intrigued!

I'm so glad you blog, Motherkitty!

 
At August 01, 2006 9:53 PM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I haven't played one single game of Spider Solitaire since I started blogging and...It was all because of you. I was like you and felt that I didn't have anything to say or offer. Unlike you, I don't have the gift of writing well...I just hobble along.

I'm so glad that you are back full force into blogging again...I have missed you.

 
At August 02, 2006 1:49 AM, Blogger MrsGreenThumb said...

Grrr, I'm trying to load pictures and blogspot won't take them. It says they're loading but when I push the button, they disappear in cyberspace. What am I doing wrong?

 
At August 02, 2006 3:46 PM, Blogger TUFFENUF said...

Great post Motherkitty, and so true of all of us. Maybe we are shy to meet people in person, because of all the evil in the world. In blogland we can get to know people. I agree that it is so much fun. I am suprised how much I think about my blog pals. I really like blogging, just like you!

 
At August 02, 2006 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great, thought provoking post, Motherkitty! Don't you love it that we stumbled upon one another's little corner of the web via mutual blog friends?

Sometimes I feel the comments from fellow bloggers whom I don't know in-person give me fresh perspective and a whole new insight.

 
At August 02, 2006 7:56 PM, Blogger Motherkitty said...

I love you all, you guys. This is why I blog, because I know there are so many lovely, caring friends (and family) out there. I feel it's important that we are able to express our thoughts and feelings via this medium, but like Jelly says, maybe it's also important that we are able to validate ourselves as precious human beings.

You have become important in my life because without you I would probably be sitting here playing solitaire by myself all day. So, thank you each and every one of you for your kind remarks. I knew we all had something in common -- we're all nuts about blogging (for whatever reason) and that's a good thing.

 
At August 03, 2006 2:20 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

This is true I'm sure for so many of us. It is a fun thing and you do get attached to blogger friends even if you haven't met them! Great post!

 
At August 03, 2006 4:18 PM, Blogger Franny said...

So glad that you blog. Over the last year, we certainly have seen you go through a lot. It's like letting each of us into your own little memory box, and we can all read, and laugh, and learn.

 
At August 03, 2006 9:43 PM, Blogger Rosa said...

I agree. I'm kind of new at blogging but I have made so many friends here. Now I must catch up with yours!!

 
At August 05, 2006 8:21 PM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

As usual, MK, you have hit the nail on the head. It is a great hobby/outlet/passtime. Glad to see you online again!

 
At August 08, 2006 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog. I think I like it and I hope you like mine.

http://rossini.funpic.de/OOS.html

 
At August 08, 2006 5:33 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

Excellent thoughts Motherkitty. You've described us all so well. It's good to know we're not alone in our idiosyncrasies :)
I really enjoy your writing and am so glad you're back. I hope this means you're feeling much better and are well on the road to recovery.
I'm glad we're blog friends! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home