Friday, August 04, 2006

Dancer Girl and her 5th birthday

Today is my first granddaughter's Fifth Birthday. Dancer Girl has been so excited because she was becoming five years old. Every time we saw her or talked with her she would remind me that she was turning FIVE. For her, it was a major turning point in her short life. I played along with her and teased her by saying, "Are you going to be five minutes? Are you going to be five days? Are you going to be five months? Are you going to be five centuries?" She would impatiently respond, with hands on hips, that she was going to be FIVE. (The concept of putting years with five eluded her momentarily until I asked her if she was going to be five years old.)

Husband and I were very excited when darling daughter first announced that she was pregnant. I never thought it would happen. Darling daughter and long haired daddy had been married for five years and there was no talk of babies up to that time. So when the big announcement was made, in a room packed with people at Christmas, it was like a bomb had landed on my chest. I had to walk out of the room. It was almost too much for this old lady to bear. I actually felt the wheel of life turn at that moment. I had now moved into a new phase of my existence -- grandmother.

Dancer Girl, your birth was so anticipated and you were loved by your Grandma from the first moment I saw your beautiful face on the ultrasound film. I knew that God in Heaven had blessed me with an angel.





Dancer Girl, know that you are loved by your Grandma and Grandpa. I hope that you spend your life dancing, singing, and loving. Have a wonderful Fifth Birthday.

11 Comments:

At August 04, 2006 3:50 PM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

Happy Birthday to your little Dancer Girl!

Doesn't she look like Little Sister in that middle photo?! I hadn't realised they looked so similar at similar ages.

Motherkitty, I love how you described your feelings on becoming a grandmother - it must have been such a heady mix of emotions! Lovely post.

 
At August 04, 2006 5:21 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Motherkitty,
In reading this, I found myself remembering that awesome moment when I learned I was to become a grandma for the first time. It also changed my life forever. I can tell you feel blessed by your beautiful grandchildren!
A very special Happy Birthday to such a beautiful Dancer girl.
Five is a magical age....

 
At August 05, 2006 12:05 AM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Wish Dancer Girl a Happy Birthday for Jimmy & I at her party tomorrow. Wish we could have been there, but we know she will have many other birthdays.
Dancer Girl is growing up way too fast...and those are very cute photos you've posted.

 
At August 05, 2006 1:55 AM, Blogger Alipurr said...

What a sweet post. I especially love the photo progression, from ultrasound on up. I will show her this in the morning. We had a very exciting day. Little One even sang her the birthday song many times, with no prompting. That was so sweet. Her Daddy got her some special surprise gifts that she really loved. See you tomorrow

 
At August 05, 2006 11:50 AM, Blogger The Four Bears in the Woods said...

Happy Birthday Dancer Girl from the 4 Bears. She is such a pretty little girl. I know you all will have such a great time at her party.

Loved the post it was so sweet.

 
At August 05, 2006 8:18 PM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

I must admit that I have read the story of that exciting Christmas announcement. A great story of love and emotion. Happy Birthday to your granddaughter! 5!

 
At August 05, 2006 8:20 PM, Blogger MrsGreenThumb said...

Enjoy your little ones, they grow so quickly. And they're so precocious. I hope to see them one of these days. Before you know it, they'll both be in school. I hope you enjoy your grandkids as much as mother enjoyed hers. Have a wonderful time at the party.

 
At August 05, 2006 9:48 PM, Blogger manababies said...

Aw, what a wonderful post! Happy Birthday to Dancer Girl!

 
At August 06, 2006 2:25 AM, Blogger Rosa said...

Look at those beautiful brown eyes and lovely hair. I bet you just melt when you see her! Happy birthday!!

 
At August 06, 2006 5:32 AM, Blogger Alipurr said...

the party went great! You should have seen all the little girls in hula skirts, leis, and flip flops. Dancing in bubbles, singing karaoke (think Old McDonald, If you're happy and you know it), breaking the pinata. everyone had lots of fun. I am glad because it was a lot of fun to plan the party. I saw Motherkitty taking lots of pictures, so maybe we will see some later this week :)

 
At August 08, 2006 5:13 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

As one grandma to another Motherkitty.....awwwwww :) She's just so precious. I love the baby photo, and she is growing into a beautiful little girl. Five is such a wonderful age. Our Corey will be five in November, and starting kindergarten. He doesn't look like a toddler anymore :)
I'll never forget the moment when I held my first grandchild (him). Now, that's emotional! His mother and I both cried :)
This is a beautiful post MK.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home