Sunday, August 06, 2006

Tomatoes: Color me red

Dr. Charles, sorry I'm late posting my tomato pictures. As you can see from my previous post we have been away celebrating a birthday at a hula party.

I looked at our tomato plants when we got home and I was extremely unhappy with the sad, sorry state of affairs I found. I did manage to pick one ripening tomato.

This is what was on my kitchen table.



Since this is the first year we've planted anything in our new garden spot, we count ourselves lucky to be getting anything at all. I regret that I will probably have not enough tomatoes for making sauce for next year. What we are getting, however, are very tasty Early Girls -- our favorites. Now, if I only had some bacon in the house, I would make BLTs.

My sister, mrsgreenthumb, is expecting me to overnight her a box of home-grown tomatoes as she is unable to grow any decent ones in Las Vegas. Sorry, sis, but with the meager supplies, I don't think I will be shipping any to anyone this year.

7 Comments:

At August 06, 2006 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

respectable, not bad. you never know, those look fairly large. poor farmers this year, i've heard it's been a disaster. glad you at least got these!

 
At August 07, 2006 12:05 AM, Blogger Cathy said...

Those remind of the tomatoes we use to grow. Usually we grew them in my folks garden and then I canned 100 quarts of juice each year. Split between myself, mom and my sister. Usually we used Big Boys and Beefsteak...

Can I order a BLT? I'll bring the bacon..Heck I'll take just a tomato sandwich on toast. I think they look yummy!

 
At August 07, 2006 1:15 AM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Your sister is going to be so disappointed AGAIN!

 
At August 07, 2006 8:05 AM, Blogger MrsGreenThumb said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At August 07, 2006 8:06 AM, Blogger MrsGreenThumb said...

Boo hoo! I am so disappointed again.

 
At August 07, 2006 8:07 AM, Blogger MrsGreenThumb said...

BTW, good looking bowl

 
At August 08, 2006 5:43 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

I just noticed our first red tomato yesterday. I can't wait 'til it's ready. Mmmmm. I hope you get enough tomatoes to keep you satisfied. Buying store-bought ones is no fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home