Sunday, September 03, 2006

Can you feel the love?

As I sat at my keyboard early this Sunday morning, I felt as if someone or something was watching me. This is what I found sitting on the edge of the computer table as I typed.

This is my good friend, Alleycat. She likes to walk back and forth across the keyboard or sit in front of the screen as I try to read blogs or type. She is trying to get my attention and wants me to stop what I'm doing rather than play on the computer. Right now, she's sitting next to my right arm watching me type this post.

Alleycat is my oldest cat. My son found her in the alley in back of my parents house in Northern Indiana in July 1993. My mother had just died and we were about to return home to Kentucky. She was about three months old when we found her. We decided to name her Alleycat. We brought her home with us and she has lived with us ever since.

As you can see, she is what is known as a tuxedo cat because of her white markings. She is very sophisticated and finicky. She only wants to be petted when she decides she wants some loving. Otherwise, she likes to bite the hand that feeds her.

Alleycat has lately decided she wants to sleep in bed with me. Normally we find her sleeping in some high spot such as a filing cabinet or bookcase. (She is now lying on top of the filing cabinet watching me type about her.) Thirteen years is quite a long time for a cat to live. Alleycat is in terrific health and we expect her to live quite a few more years.

When I was growing up, I had a cat named Smitty the Kitty who I found when I was five years old. Smitty was my pet until I left home at age 18. Even after I left, he lived at my parents' house until he died at age 22. All the time I was in school, he would walk me to the corner of our street in the morning and would meet me at the corner to walk me home in the afternoons. This is a picture of me, Motherkitty, and Smitty the Kitty, circa 1950, in front of our house. Even after I left home, he remembered me whenever I came to visit. What a good cat he was. We all loved him and mourned him when he died.

Alleycat is a constant reminder to me of my parents. They took care of Alleycat's mother who was a stray living on the wild side in the alley behind their house. Dad would put food and milk out for the mother, so he was happy that we decided to keep this cute little kitten. He knew that at least one of the litter would survive.

It will be a sad day for us when it is Alleycat's time to go to kitty cat heaven. She's my husband's favorite cat. We know she had a good life even if she had to put up with my many other cats all these years. We should have named her Miss Priss because she always has her nose up in the air. We all love her anyway and will mourn her when she dies.

17 Comments:

At September 03, 2006 1:54 PM, Blogger Susie said...

I loved the story of both kitties!
For Smitty the Kitty to live to age 22 is just amazing! The picture of you with him is so endearing..
You and I share yet another bond in our love of cats...
((hugs))

 
At September 03, 2006 4:18 PM, Blogger MrsGreenThumb said...

I got all teary eyed thinking about Smitty, he was our stalwart ever-patient companion. Remember dressing him up in doll clothes and giving him a ride in the doll stroller? I always remember that one of the kids on our street knocked on the door and asked if they could play with Mr. Smith, the cat. You have such a nice way with cats. I have one sniffing at my pencil cup and flapping her tail across my screen as I try to write this. We're nuts, you know that, with all our animals.

 
At September 03, 2006 5:05 PM, Blogger Alipurr said...

that is so sweet about alley cat. I remember that long, long ride home with her in the car, and stopping at that Waffle House or whatever it was, and worrying about her alone in the car. I have been thinking about our cats a lot lately too. Our Leah, aka big grumpy kitty on my blog, is almost 10 yrs old. We lost Justina (the grandmother)recently and that has made our family very nostalgic.

Our Duchess of Silk just had 6 new babies, 4 white and 2 tabbies, in case anyone is interested. We still have 2 "kittens" to give away from her first litter. So the humane society finally calls and asks when I am going to spay her. ha ha

 
At September 03, 2006 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I worked at the vet clinic we had several clients with cats that were 15-20 years old, and still in reasonable health. I bet Alleycat will be with you for awhile yet!

 
At September 03, 2006 10:39 PM, Blogger ipanema said...

You've a beautiful cat there Motherkitty. :)

 
At September 03, 2006 11:47 PM, Blogger TUFFENUF said...

Good Lord! Smitty the kitty was 22 years old? Isn't that some kind of record? I have never heard of a kitty that old. Cute photo of you and Smitty! I am allergic to kitties, but sometimes I can't help petting one of my neighbor's cats when they stop by!

 
At September 04, 2006 7:39 AM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I loved that picture of you and Smitty the Kitty...it's the first picture of you that I've seen, as a child with your kitty.
Smitty the Kitty lived a very long time for a kitty...Jimmy's brother also had a cat who lived until she was 22 or 23.

Alley cat is a very pretty cat and a much loved cat...I can understand why this cat is such an important part of your life...I had no idea what Alley cat respresented to you. I hope it lives a long long time.

 
At September 04, 2006 7:41 AM, Blogger Jeanette said...

great story alleycat and
smitty.
Read a few of your posts think ill try that blackbird pie !! (yummy)
I come over from Kerri's
i will be back to read more ..

 
At September 04, 2006 10:55 AM, Blogger Pamela said...

Motherkitty, I loved the story and find it amazing that your kitty loved you so much that he lived to 22! woo hoo!

Your little tuxedo kitty there she is so pretty...kind of a rags to riches story. Alleykitty/princess??? Have a nice Labor Day!

 
At September 05, 2006 5:34 AM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

I'm glad you have someone watching over you as you type, kind of a 'blog-angel'!

 
At September 05, 2006 10:27 AM, Blogger Franny said...

That is a beautiful cat. I can tell it's stolen your heart.

 
At September 06, 2006 9:41 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Hi Motherkitty,
Back again to say that you've been tagged (and this is a perfect meme for you!)
:-)

 
At September 07, 2006 7:44 AM, Blogger Kerri said...

Your Alleycat sounds precious. Beautiful photo of her :) They all have their own distinct personalities, don't they?
Cats are wonderful companions.
Your Smitty Kitty lived a long life! One of our kittens, given to friends many years ago, lived for 22 years.
Loved the picture of you with Smitty. So sweet.
Our 'Tuxedo' met his demise on the road out front in the spring. So sad. He's the only one we've lost to the road in a very long time.

 
At September 09, 2006 7:28 AM, Blogger ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Wonderful story about Alleycat -- when I saw her picture I could almost see my Boo, another tux girl I share my life with. She was abandoned near my home with her two brothers who we all took in. Life would not be complete without her. I also share life with a mini tux Manx who is the my little bitty love of fur. My two tux girls look nearly identical. Drop by for a visit -- I blog for my cats.

 
At September 10, 2006 4:56 PM, Blogger Rosa said...

Awww, I can definately feel the love!!! Awwwww.

 
At September 13, 2006 12:18 AM, Blogger Cie Cheesemeister said...

They are truly part of the family. It's always tough when they go. I don't like to think about the fact that they live for 20 years or less.

 
At October 12, 2006 1:51 PM, Blogger The Wandering Author said...

Oh, she's beautiful! My last cat was a tuxedo cat. He lived to be sixteen, and probably would have lived longer if the vet I went to then hadn't missed the fact his kidneys were failing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home