Monday, August 21, 2006

Look what fell from the sky

Husband and I were walking across the front yard this afternoon, just coming back from lunch, intent on doing a little flowerbed weeding. Husband said, look at the feather that fell from the sky. I looked, and here's what I found.



This feather measures 10-1/2 inches long. It is black with little white frilly feathers near the quill. It is a thing of beauty. Could it be from a buzzard? Or an eagle? We don't know as we haven't seen either of these birds up close. We are guessing that it's from a buzzard since they fly overhead all the time. Maybe it was molting and lost the feather, or another bird came along and plucked it right out of its tail or wing. Either way, it came from a big bird.

What shall I do with this feather? I could display it on a shelf, but I think our kitties (especially Tiger Lily) would think it was something to play with or to eat. I could make a necklace, or earring, or hat ornament out of it, but I don't wear that kind of jewelry.

Maybe I could make a quill out of it.
It looks to be the perfect size. I could use it to write blog posts with a bit of style and panache. If I used the feather as a quill, that would mean I would have to purchase fancy vellum paper and a bottle of real ink. I would also have to practice my handwriting skills. Since using a computer for the past 10+ years to write, my handwriting has degraded into a sloppy mess (you KNOW what I'm talking about). The only times I handwrite these days are when signing an occasional check or when placing my signature on other important legal documents, like signing out for a movie at the video store. I will have to think about making a quill out of it.

I could frame it, but that would cost money. If I framed it, I would have to hang it on the wall. The last time we painted our house, we removed all pictures and other framed objects, spackled the holes, and painted our walls a pretty white. I am loathe to pound any nails into them.

In the meantime, husband thinks this lovely feather is covered with unseen lice. You know the old wives' tale about birds carrying lice. He won't let me handle the feather until the alleged lice have all been killed. I guess I will wait until then to figure out what to do with it.

Maybe I should just make a bookmark out of it. What do you think? That would be a feather in my cap.

11 Comments:

At August 21, 2006 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would say your husband is probably close to being right. Bird feathers don't carry lice so often, but they do harbor nasty, nasty germs. I do work in a veterinary laboratory, so be assured that I am speaking from some experience. I would most definitely spray it with a bleach solution before messing with it. Or laminate it. I've done that before.

 
At August 21, 2006 2:51 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Are you sure an angel didn't lose a feather? That's what my little angel spotting grandson would say! I don't think we ever stopped to consider that the angel had lice, or germs...

 
At August 21, 2006 3:46 PM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

'a feather in your cap'....tee hee!

I like the quill pen idea. Imagine the jaws dropping when you whisk that pen out of your handbag with a flourish!

 
At August 21, 2006 4:37 PM, Blogger Alipurr said...

spray & laminate sounds good to me......

 
At August 21, 2006 6:17 PM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I think you should make a quill pen too and then frame it in some type of box like frame displaying the paper & ink along with the quill pen. It wouldn't even have to hang on the wall...it could just be displayed on a shelf.

Wouldn't an angel's feather be white? Maybe you had a visit from Michael...I love that movie.

 
At August 21, 2006 10:19 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

I love that it just fell from the sky, as in the beginning of the movie, "Forrest Gump". They simple used it as a bookmark too. :)

 
At August 22, 2006 12:40 AM, Blogger Rosa said...

What a wonderful gift from above. I love that it just fell from the sky. I think it must be for luck. Keep it on your desk so you can always remember the day it was sent to you. Reminds me of the closing scene from Forest Gump. So special. I say, clean it up and put it in a small vase like a flower.. Or you can get two pieces of glass, put it in between and glue the edges. (Just make sure the glass edges are not sharp!) Have fun with it, whatever you decide. (PS Thanks for your sweet, sweet words!) xoxo

 
At August 22, 2006 5:45 AM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

If you frame it or otherwise save it for display, that would involve the dreaded - dusting!

I say clean it up and give it to the kitties to play with, you always have this blog post and pictures to remember the day you found the feather.

Or, as AIP said - it could be from an angel like Michael (the movie - I love it too), who probably had a few black feathers - "I'm not that kind of angel"

 
At August 22, 2006 9:32 AM, Blogger Franny said...

I like your quill idea...write cheques with it, or whip it out when someone asks "may I borrow a pen?". I also think it would look nice as a computer decoration.

 
At August 22, 2006 11:30 AM, Blogger Smalltown RN said...

I just love your post on this one. I felt like I was part of your world...it inticed me...wonderful, creative and light....light as a feather. Yes that's it you wrote so gently, as gentle as the feather. I thought your photos were fabulous and then when you combined it with the quill amazing.....

I for one would treasure it....yes keep it somewhere close to you...like your desk...somewhere u would look at it daily and it would bring back fond memories of "The feather that fell from the sky" Oh the stories you could tell about that feather....what a great conversational piece.

Just enjoy it motherkitty...have a wonderful day.....reading your blog this morning made my day....cheers....and thanks

 
At August 23, 2006 6:10 AM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

Okay, I have been thinking about it, and the feather is like the one in Forest Gump, it marks the beginning of the story of your life that you will start telling us. Oh, you must have had the same idea - as your very next post starts this story. Looking forward to the unfolding life tale...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home