Friday, March 23, 2007

Spring has sprung!


Unwritten rules of gardening ...
by David Hobson,
www.gardenhumour.com
  • The best way to garden is to put on a wide brimmed straw hat and some old clothes. And with a hoe in one hand and a cold drink in the other, tell somebody else where to dig.
  • Compost is best aged a little like a fine wine. I mean, would you prefer to drink a nice 97, or something that was made last Thursday.
  • When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
  • A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows.
  • Spring does not arrive until the ice is out of the compost heap.
  • Winter does not arrive until the ice is IN the compost. Until then, all bets are off.
  • Any self respecting rock will break at least one shovel before accepting its new home.
  • A good compost pile should get hot enough to poach an egg, but not so hot it would cook a lobster.
  • Gardening requires a lot of water most of it in the form of perspiration.

Every garden is unique with a multitude of choices of soils, plants and themes. Finding your garden theme is as easy as seeing what brings a smile to your face.

Submitted by Master Gardener Andy, Gettysburg, Pa.

Well, Spring has finally arrived in my yard. After "encouraging" husband to get the John Deere ready and fired up, I mowed the weeds down. Now the yard doesn't look so wild and wooly and maybe some nice grass can grow in place of some of the weeds.

Here's something I found growing in the lawn. These cute, tiny flowers were white with yellow centers. I don't know what they are but I imagine if our yard was a field, the ground would be blanketed with these beauties. (Double-click on images for better view.)


After I finished mowing, I found some things actually growing and getting ready to bloom.

Red Bud Tree (our two trees are turning pink overnight)

Purple and White Irises

Paperwhites

White Dogwood (with French Lilac bush in background)

Lillies

Live Forevers

Little Robin Redbreast sat upon a tree;
Up went Pussycat, and down went he.
Down came Pussycat, and away Robin ran;
Said little Robin Redbreast, "Catch me if you can."

Little Robin Redbreast jumped upon a wall;
Pussycat jumped after him, and almost got a fall.
Little Robin chirped and sang, and what did Pussy say?
Pussycat said naught but "Mew," and Robin flew away.

And finally, for my friend Sue, this might be a solution to your squirrel problem.


So, now you know. My yard and flowerbeds are filled with weeds, but it's organic and full of useful earthworms. I may not have the most picture-perfect landscape but it continues to be a work in progress. I always say, maybe this year . . . When that happens, I will take a picture of it. I guess I forgot the basics of perfect gardening (as listed above). Maybe my sister, mrsgreenthumb, will come and help me one of these years.

In the meantime, I will continue to mow down the weeds and compost the grass clippings and chipped up branches.

Pardon me while I go blow my nose. Spring has sprung and the pollen is flying!

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

At March 23, 2007 4:14 PM, Blogger tomlaureld@yahoo.com said...

I have been cleaning the pool these last four days it should be ready to go come a week after payday.

 
At March 23, 2007 8:13 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Isn't spring great? It seems a little early for such warm weather, but I am enjoying it while it is here. It's supposed to turn much cooler around here come April 1st, the fool's day, after all!

 
At March 24, 2007 7:46 AM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

The flowers on the Red Bud tree are such a pretty colour.

Shall I send you some antihistamines for your sneezy spring nose?!

 
At March 24, 2007 8:56 AM, Blogger Alipurr said...

I know the girls can't wait to come and play in your yard. It is always a welcoming sight to us. Your yard is much more mature than mine, as far as landscaping. It also helps that you have lots more sunny spots and a lot less trees and leaves. My whole yard is a shady spot. I spend the early spring scouting out sunny spots, trying to see where to put a few little annuals or tomatoes, ha ha

I posted some pics of some of my spring flowers. I also noticed my redbud is just beginning to bloom too.

 
At March 24, 2007 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Spring! My yard is coming to life, too...

 
At March 24, 2007 9:20 AM, Blogger Smalltown RN said...

oh spring has certainly sprung....what a lovely yard you have....thank you for sharing all the wonders of nature....

I am with you though...now pass the kleenex and antihistamines please.....Ah Spring!!!

Cheers my friend

 
At March 24, 2007 11:45 AM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

Yes, it is finally here! Glad you are getting out and enjoying the weather. How is your knee?

 
At March 25, 2007 1:31 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Bill heard me chuckling as I read this and came in to see the cute cartoon. You may have come up with a solution for us!!
Love all your pictures and seeing the signs of spring around you!!
xo

 
At March 25, 2007 5:33 PM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Our redbuds aren't nearly as far along as yours. I haven't even seen a bud yet.

Loved the all the cartoons.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home