Saturday, February 24, 2007

Blessed grandparents' day

Husband and I were invited to spend the day with our daughter and granddaughters, so off we went early yesterday morning. We had not seen the girls for about a month because of bad weather and illness. So, it was great being able to hug and kiss everybody again (without fear of getting sick).

We were all very glad to see each other. Our grandson-to-be is now at 26 weeks 1 day gestation (only 97 days until his debut into this world). Daughter continues to feel well for which we are all so very thankful.

Early signs of Spring were everywhere. Daffodils were popping up all over daughter's yard and the trees looked as if they were ready to bud out. I hope we don't get any more icy, snowy, cold weather, but in our neck of the woods, unpredictable weather is the norm rather than the occasional occurrence. All in all, we spent a very pleasant day together. We talked, laughed, looked at bunk beds and mattresses for Little Sister's upcoming 3rd birthday (March 14), had a light lunch, ate doughnuts fresh from the bakery, played games, and enjoyed each others' company. Just before 3:00 p.m., Little Sister climbed into my lap, proclaimed that I was her "favorite" grandma and promptly fell asleep in my arms. Oh my goodness, it almost brought tears to my eyes.

Little Sister, just waking up from her nap, with a smile on her beautiful face

We went home a while later and arrived home pleasantly tired. We enjoyed the day very much and thank daughter for inviting us to spend the day with them.

This morning we received an invitation to attend Dancer Girl's gymnastics competition next Saturday. She will be performing her first floor routine and maybe on the uneven parallel bars. How exciting for her.

We were also invited to Little Sister's birthday party on March 17th. My, she is growing up so fast and no longer seems such a little baby. Both girls are pleasant, articulate, and entertaining. As grandparents, we feel blessed being able to share their lives.

I have almost finished the baby afghan I am crocheting for our newest grandchild. While the girls were showing us how neat their room was, I photographed the afghans I had made the girls when they were babies. I thought I would share these photos with you.

Dancer Girl's afghan

Little Sister's afghan

Daughter has stored these afghans away as keepsakes for the girls. When they were babies, they loved to snuggle down with these soft afghans which in turn made me very happy. I will publish a picture of baby boy's afghan when it is completed.

We can't wait to see the girls again next Saturday so we can feel blessed again!

You know you're a homeschooler's grandparent when . . .

You're the life of the party, even when it lasts until 8 p.m.

You're very good at opening child proof caps with a hammer.

You're usually interested in going home before you get to where you're going.

You're good on a trip for at least an hour without aspirin.

You're the first one to find the bathroom wherever you go.

You're awake many hours before your body allows you to get up.

You're smiling all the time because you can't hear a word they're saying.

You're very good at telling stories, over and over and over and over again.

You're aware that other people's grandchildren are not as bright as yours.

You're so cared for - long term care, eye care, private care, dental care.

You're not grouchy. You just don't like traffic, waiting, crowds, children ...

You're positive you did housework correctly before your mate retired.

You're sure everything you can't find is in a secure place.

You're wrinkled, saggy and lumpy - and that's just your left leg.

You're having trouble remembering simple words like ... ah.

You're now spending more time with your pillow than with your mate.

You're realizing that aging is not for sissies.

You're anti-everything - anti-fat, anti-smoke, anti-noise, anti-inflammatory.

You're walking more (to the bathroom) and enjoying it less.

You're going to reveal what goes on behind closed doors - absolutely nothing.

You're sure they are making adults much younger these days.

You're in the initial stage of your golden years - SS, CD, IRA, AARP.

You're wondering - if you're only as old as you feel, how could you be alive at 150.

You're supporting all movements - by eating prunes, bran, oats and raisins.

You're a walking storeroom of facts - you've just lost the storeroom.

You're so proud to have found Third Age online.

You're a grandparent and you're having the time of your life!!!

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

At February 24, 2007 9:12 AM, Blogger Alipurr said...

We had a wonderful day yesterday too! The girls and I and hubby were so glad to see you. We had a great visit. Thanks for coming. The pictures turned out great! I love them. See you next Saturday!
love you

 
At February 24, 2007 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The afghans you made are beautiful! My mom crocheted baby blankets for my boys, too, and I've tried more than once to put them away in the "baby stuff to save" box, but they won't hear of it. They love them.

Glad you had such a nice day. It's always nice to spend a day with family.

 
At February 24, 2007 2:20 PM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

What a joyous post, Motherkitty! I'm so glad you had a wonderful day with your clever and loving and sweet-faced little granddaughters!

Making an afghan for each baby is a lovely idea - I'm sure each child will treasure theirs forever.

PS Tell Alipurr she is looking just radiant!

 
At February 25, 2007 1:06 AM, Blogger Susie said...

Lovely post! I'm so glad you shared your visit with your granddaughters with us. They are just adorable and your daughter looks radiant.
The afghans are lovely. Can't wait to see what you do for the little man!
xoxox

 
At February 25, 2007 1:48 AM, Blogger Cathy said...

MK, The afghans are beautiful. Im glad that your daughter has saved them for the girls. Your daughter looks like she is glowing in her pregnancy.

I can sense that Grandma is a little anxious for new grandson to get here. I know exactly how you feel. Just wait until you hold that new little baby. Oh my, it is heaven on earth. Ours is smiling now and starting to do all sorts of baby things. So precious!

I think your little grand daughters kind of like Grandma...:)

You are blessed Mother Kitty.

 
At February 25, 2007 11:15 AM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Your grandchildren are beautiful, just as their mother & grandmother.

I'm glad you shared your visit with us and I can't wait to see another beautiful afghan for your soon to arrive grandson.

How exciting it must be to be able to watch Dancer Girl's gymnastics competition next Saturday. Give the girls a hug from me.

 
At February 25, 2007 12:00 PM, Blogger Redneck Mommy said...

I have afghans made for each of my children by a wonderful aunt. I cherished them, and hope to pass them on to my kiddies when they are grown.

Now I pick up the yarn myself to make blankies for my friends and their children.

Because nothing says love like a baby wrapped in a handmade blanket.

 
At February 26, 2007 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Motherkitty, thanks for your kind comment on my blog and what lucky grand kitties you have. The afghans are beautiful. One day I would love to make beautiful things to give away. Your family also looks lovely.
Mimi

 
At February 26, 2007 8:33 AM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

There's nothing like spending a day with the grandkids to boost your spirits! Thanks for sharing!

 
At March 01, 2007 10:13 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

I know just how you feel about spending a day with the grandchildren. It is always an event for us, too, and we don't get the days often enough since they live a few hours away, and my husband hasn't been able to travel much lately.

Like Alissa said, I crocheted blankets for the grandchildren, too, and I also gave my own kids the ones I had made for them when they were small.

 
At March 04, 2007 7:24 AM, Blogger Kerri said...

Sounds like a wonderful time with your family MK. Those little ones are adorable and your daughter is looking lovely...happy and very pregnant :)
Isn't it wonderful to get those cuddles and sweet words?
The afghans you made are just beautiful and truly a keepsake to treasure.
I hope the gymnastics comp went well.
Thanks for sharing the photos. They're precious little girls :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home