Saturday, February 17, 2007

Kitty camouflage

I awoke early this morning and the first thing I did was check our snow situation outside. The weatherman said we are to expect anywhere from a dusting to up to four inches today. As I peeked out at a very cold landscape, I was surprised to see less than an inch on the ground. While I was taking a few snaps out the kitchen slider, my famous singing duo, Dolly Parton and Loretta Lynn, decided to do a little exploring.

Dolly likes to dance and make kitty footprints in the snow

Can you see me?

Loretta says, let me in, mommy, my feet are cold!

I never tire of watching my cats explore their world. They have birdies to stake out at the feeders, mice, moles, and other varmints to capture and bring into the house, and they have each other to attack and play games with. I think their lives revolve around those activities imprinted upon their DNA, activities that were forged by their feline ancestors who hunted and roamed the jungles, tundras, and wilds of the world long before man came along. We have domesticated and tamed the species but you cannot remove those characteristics that are intrinsic to their nature -- claws, whiskers, pads, nose, eyes, ears, tail, fur, purrs, hairy tongue, and teeth -- all used to prowl, kill their prey, stay alive, procreate, and lie in the sun after a feast.

These characteristics are also what makes these creatures so endearing to us. Some people are dog lovers (okay, if you must) and others are cat lovers. Some are cat haters and don't trust cats because of their natures. One thing all of us must admit, however, is that tame or wild, cats are beautiful and sleek, interesting to watch, and fascinating to interact with. Their intelligence is unique and you can almost believe they understand what we are saying to them. I know mine do.

Some of my kitties' relatives playing in the snow

After a little romp outside in the cold, some nice breakfast, a quick trip to the freshly cleaned out kitty litter pans, my little darlings are camped out in the warm house taking their morning siesta. What a life!

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At February 17, 2007 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The white kitties look so pretty playing out in the snow.

We have an inch or so here, and I went out to take pics, too. But Spot refused to get her feet wet and pose for me :-)

 
At February 17, 2007 9:26 AM, Blogger janet copenhaver said...

Cute kitties. When I was very young our family had a white kitty we called snowball. I hadn't thought about her in years till reading this.

I had the pleasure of watching a bobcat this morning cross our property. To far away for my little camera. They are beautiful cats, this one had circular stripes around his front leg.

 
At February 17, 2007 11:33 AM, Blogger Susie said...

Brrr, I just came from Kerri's and her blizzard. Now you have snow too!
Loretta looks so beautiful against the snow. As you say, they do just what comes naturally to them.
Our pleasure is in watching them and having them as part of our family!
xoxo

 
At February 17, 2007 5:07 PM, Blogger Alipurr said...

very cute snow kitties....our mama Duchess and her baby Snowball were both around today (Snowball is Loretta and Dolly's brother and Duchess is their Mama). My outside cats have very thick winter coats, and Snowball really does look like a fluffy ball of snow. He has eyes like Loretta and his grandmother Justina, who was also white

 
At February 18, 2007 3:39 AM, Blogger Jellyhead said...

That photo under which you have written 'can you see me?' is a great shot! I really did have to look closely to see the white cat on the snowy background.

I must confess to being a dog lover, but I quite like cats, too. Yours sound very lovable!

 
At February 18, 2007 4:33 AM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Loretta & Dolly look pretty playing in the snow...just like little snowcats. My cat Jybow stands out like a sore thumb and is no kitten. Before going to bed Saturday night we had about 3 inches and Jybow was lunging as if attacking something under the snow...and then digging and making the snow fly in the air...and then attacking it again. I'm also a dog lover, but cats are by far more amusing to watch.

 
At February 19, 2007 7:24 AM, Blogger Smalltown RN said...

oh kittie is so cute. I love to watch the antics...I am not a huge fan of the smaller version of cats...but I do like the mountain lions and sorts....I mean I am a Leo after all....

Cheers my dear friend

 
At February 19, 2007 8:31 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

your kitties are so sweet. Looks like they really enjoyed their little play in the snow...but yes, the feet get cold very quickly :)
Jasmine knows just what we say...at least she seems to. She sure knows to quit what she's doing when we pick up a rolled up newspaper. she's been climbing up on furniture and knocking things down. Our once perfect house cat is now less than perfect! She's getting cabin fever!

 
At February 20, 2007 9:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have two dogs but I love kitties, too! I love the bottom pic of the kitty "posing" on the railing - so pretty!

 
At February 21, 2007 10:36 AM, Blogger Judypatooote said...

Your kitties are beautiful, you can almost miss them in the snow... I do love seeing how animals react in the snow...whether dogs, cats or squirrel and birds.....in fact I just wrote a post on Gauge my daughters dog playing in the snow... and now the snow is melting and all of my dogs little treasures are showing....it sure does make the yard yucky..... I wish I had a doggie vacum pooper skooper....

 
At February 21, 2007 4:03 PM, Blogger Rosa said...

OMG, when I fist saw the photo, I thought it was of a hairless baby animal in the snow!! Then I saw the fur!! Too sweet!! Isn't it funny when a cat loves the snow!

 
At February 24, 2007 7:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow two white kitties. (i'm a cat person too)

We are going to get terrible weather tomorrow a big mix they say of rain ice and snow...yuck!

 
At February 24, 2007 9:01 AM, Blogger Motherkitty said...

Thanks to all my blogging buddies for visiting me. I have enjoyed your comments so much and I've tried to hop over to your sites to catch up with your lives. I may not have left a comment (for which I'm sorry) but I am thinking of you all with loving thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home