Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Holy cow, where did the time go?


When I get older, losing my hair, many years from now,
Will you still be sending me a Valentine, birthday greetings, bottle of wine?
If I'd been out 'till quarter to three, would you lock the door?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four (sixty-five)?

Hmm------mmm---mmmh.

You'll be older, too. Aaah, and if you say the word, I could stay with you.
I could be handy, mending a fuse, when your lights have gone.
You can knit a sweater by the fireside, Sunday mornings, go for a ride.
Doing the garden, digging the weeds, who could ask for more?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm sixty-four (sixty-five)?

Every summer we can rent a cottage in the Isle of Wight if it's not too dear.
We shall scrimp and save.
Ah, grandchildren on your knee, Vera, Chuck, and Dave.
Send me a postcard, drop me a line stating point of view.
Indicate precisely what you mean to say, yours sincerely wasting away.
Give me your answer, fill in a form, mine forever more.
Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm sixty- four (sixty-five)?

by John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Actually, this song is a little behind the times because I passed 64 last year on April 10. Last year on this date I also had a total knee replacement (a very happy birthday present to me).


I guess having arthritis and joint replacements are signs of the times, but I would rather not have to replace all my joints because of wear and tear.

Getting old is for the birds. You have to sit on the side of the bed and rest just to get up in the morning. You have to take too many pills just before bedtime, and diuretics cause you to visit the bathroom too many times to count. You have to wear pads or diapers because of accidental leaks. When you go on a road trip, you don't consult a map, you map out where all the bathrooms are along the route. You have to count calories so you don't gain weight. You have impaired vision so you have to turn on too many lights to see. You have ringing in your ears and can't hear as well so you have to turn up the television a little louder. Your hips have spread (along with everything else on your body) so you have to buy larger clothing. You have to stop eating all those things that upset your stomach and give you acid reflux, belching, and flatulence. You have more and more "senior" moments (or brain farts) and can't even remember your husband's/wife's/children's/grandchildren's names, or you start to go somewhere and can't remember where you are going to or why. You go out to lunch and take home half the food to eat at dinner.

The worst, however, is looking as old as you feel. You may think like a young person, but somewhere along the way your body has betrayed you. You know you're getting old when everybody starts looking like babies or you think they are too stupid for words. How many of you watch Jeopardy or Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and you yell at the television (contestants) because you know all the answers and these little smartalecs who got advanced degrees at some fancy university can't even answer the questions?

You know you are getting old when you have Medicare as your primary insurance. You know you are getting old when you actively look for senior discounts. You know you're getting old when you have to go to the early matinee at the movies because if you're out past 6:00 p.m. you're afraid you'll fall asleep at the wheel driving home. You know you're getting old when you want to go to bed when it gets dark outside.

Finally, you know you're getting old when getting cozy with the hubby is too much trouble and you would rather sleep alone because he snores, tosses and turns all night, or hogs the bed.

I figure I'm going to live another 25+ years (all the women in my family are long-lived) so I hope things don't get any worse for me than this. Maybe if I eat right, get plenty of rest, exercise regularly, keep my blood pressure and cholesterol low, laugh a lot, and think positively, I will enjoy the remaining years of my life. Most of all, I would hate to lose my sense of humor because getting old is really for the birds.

You know you're getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you're down there.
- George Burns

Holy cow, the wheel of life just clicked another notch.

Labels: , ,

21 Comments:

At April 09, 2007 7:44 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Happy Birthday! Aren't you glad you can still laugh at life? I am going on 59 and have a lot of what you talk about. Like they say, getting old isn't for sissies! We're brave just to do it!

 
At April 09, 2007 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

But just think of all the wonderful years you've had. Aren't they worth all that you've listed, and then some? The kids, the grandkids, the memories?

 
At April 10, 2007 6:51 AM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Happy Birthday Motherkitty!
You've aged like a fine wine and we love you. We wish you many more happy years.

 
At April 10, 2007 7:02 AM, Blogger TUFFENUF said...

This post made me smile, like most of your posts. I needed that right now. You may think you are old, but you have a youthful & charming sense of humor that I love! Happy Birthday

 
At April 10, 2007 7:45 AM, Blogger tomlaureld@yahoo.com said...

Happy Birthday
Love ya

 
At April 10, 2007 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday (and it's hard for me to call you Motherkitty and Dennis is right, you have a very pretty name).
Of course you know that someone else signed me in because I don't have a blog, but I just wanted to also wish you a very happy birthday and I hope that Dennis has something nice planned for you today.

Also I just wanted you to know that 70 isn't so bad either.

 
At April 10, 2007 8:30 AM, Blogger Tammy said...

Here from Sandy's to wish you a very Happy Birthday with many more to come!

 
At April 10, 2007 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your not 65, I thought you were in your fifties.What a relief to know I will look and feel that young when I am 65.
Happy Birthday Aunt Laurel.I love you,
and I wasn't joking!
sharon

 
At April 10, 2007 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday from all the gang over at Catzilla's. We're throwing you a party and we hope you can make it over.

 
At April 10, 2007 9:13 AM, Blogger Christal said...

Happy Birthday Mother Kitty!

 
At April 10, 2007 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Aunt Laurel Hope you have a very Happy Birthday because someone as nice as you deserves a special one.

We love you and can't wait for you to come down and visit.

Love ya,

The Four Bears or shall I say now it is the 8 Bears since Brother Bear got married and added 3 more to the family. :)

 
At April 10, 2007 10:09 AM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

Congrats on making this milestone! I hope you have a great day and are able to blow out all the candles!

 
At April 10, 2007 10:11 AM, Blogger Alipurr said...

Happy Birthday, Mom! You had better plan on being here for a long long time, cause we have lots of things to do, you and me!!!

Hope you have a good one, and I hope the girls are well enough this weekend so we can come. Dancer Girl had fever and coughing last night, so we will spend another quiet day recuperating....

the bunk beds should arrive in boxes sometime after 4, so you can see them the next time you come over!!! love you

 
At April 10, 2007 10:12 AM, Blogger Susie said...

Happy Birthday to You!
Happy Birthday to You!
Happy Birthday Mother Kitty!
Happy Birthday to You!!
and m.a.n.y more!!!!
Hope it's a wonderful day and the years ahead are filled with blessings!
xoxoxo

 
At April 10, 2007 10:25 AM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

Happy Birthday Motherkitty:-) I so enjoyed this post and now I know what I have to look forward to! Yikes! lol I do hope you have an absolutely wonderful day!! Hugs xoxo

 
At April 10, 2007 3:56 PM, Blogger Smalltown RN said...

WEll Happy Birthday to you!!!! And many more!!!!

That was great....the whole getting old thing....the scary thing is I can relate to alot of those things already....

I hope you have a fantastic day...and just know you are being sent lots of warm hugs....and good wishes....

 
At April 10, 2007 8:56 PM, Blogger ... Paige said...

Happy Birthday

 
At April 10, 2007 11:09 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

Wishing you a wonderful birthday Motherkitty. I hope you had a very special day.
That song is one of my favorites. I agree with Tuff, you have a youthful and charming sense of humor, and that will keep you feeling young for a long time to come. Thanks for the smiles :) Sending love and hugs to you dear friend. xoxox

 
At April 11, 2007 12:42 AM, Blogger Motherkitty said...

Well, I am thoroughly overwhelmed by your wishes to me for a happy birthday. Because of you I indeed did have a great day. I just wish we could have spent the time together, in person, because you are my favorite people in all the world.

Thank you so much for thinking of me and for making my birthday so special. (She blinks and wipes tears away.)

 
At April 12, 2007 6:57 AM, Blogger Judypatooote said...

Wow, what a neat post.....you birthday girl you.....HAPPY BIRTHDAY......I commented on Sandys post that your only as old as you feel and act.....but I want to change that to attitude....it's all in your attitude....and you have a wonderful attitude... I will be 67 in August, and yes, things do break down as you get older, but I'm going to keep on smiling and laughing......for your right a sense of humor is needed... I hope your birthday is grand.......

 
At April 19, 2007 6:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Amazing post!Great insight into getting old, but you know, u have a wonderful sense of humor that keeps you ticking! Here's wishing you a great birthday this year and also the years to come.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home