Sunday, March 25, 2007

Sunday drivers

Husband and I had itchy feet today so we decided to go out for a Sunday drive down by the lake. The first thing we noticed when we stopped at our local convenience store to get something to drink was the temperature. It was about 84 degrees F. and you can't get any better than that. The next thing we noticed was the abundance of others out for a great day in the sun, especially the number of bikers. We followed three all the way to the lake and must have passed about 50-75 on the road.

Seeing all those bikers made me think of the Steppenwolf song, Born to be Wild, which was popular in the 1960s.

Get your motor runnin'
Head out on the highway
Lookin' for adventure
And whatever comes our way
Yeah Darlin' go make it happen
Take the world in a love embrace
Fire all of your guns at once
And explode into space

I like smoke and lightning
Heavy metal thunder
Racin' with the wind
And the feelin' that I'm under
Yeah Darlin' go make it happen
Take the world in a love embrace
Fire all of your guns at once
And explode into space

Like a true nature's child
We were born, born to be wild
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Born to be wild
Born to be wild

© MCA Music (BMI)

The day was glorious and our first stop was our favorite lake access and we decided to take the walking trail. This is what we saw.

Folks fishing from the banks

Boaters racing to the next good fishing hole

Looking down at the lake's edge from the walking path

I wonder if anyone heard this tree fall

While walking the trail, we came upon some people we know. I used to work at the hospital with the wife and the husband works here (see below):

This is the Kentucky State Penitentiary, also known as
The Castle on the Lake (double-click for a better view),
which houses some pretty nasty characters

After driving for several hours, we took a long, circuitous route home. Along the way, we checked out some pretty nifty houses on or near the lake that we dream about maybe living in if we ever win the lottery. Finally, we came upon some more bikers who looked like they were maybe born to be wild. What do you think?

All in all we had a very pleasant day. We just finished supper and husband is watching NASCAR. He says, "You can't get any better than this. Thanks, dear."

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At March 25, 2007 5:45 PM, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I've always got my motor running...
That's one of my favorite songs and I used to sing it before I ever met a biker. It was my theme song and about the only thing that ever made me feel wild.

Glad you got out and enjoyed the day. I spent it catching up on my blog reading while Jimmy watched basketball tournament games...You know the March Madness thing.

We'll go out for a ride when the bikers and the rest of the weekend sightseers go back to work. It's not so crowded and I'm less likely to hit a car then. hahaha

 
At March 25, 2007 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you were SO CLOSE! We could have had a picnic lunch. :-)

Glad you had such a nice day. We enjoyed the sun, too, and the boys had to stop what they were doing and rush to the front yard each and every time we heard the rumble of a motorcycle. It happened many, many times--the bikers were out in force today.

 
At March 25, 2007 7:02 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Sounds just like the kind of day I love! Rides in the country are lovely on a day like this has been, and being by the water is an added bonus! Lucky you!

 
At March 25, 2007 8:37 PM, Blogger Tracey said...

Oh, definitely they were born to be wild, lol!

I love that song; always relate it to my horses, though. Now it'll be stuck in my head the rest of the evening.

Great photos, btw! Always enjoy a photo journey =)

 
At March 26, 2007 6:58 AM, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

Love those Sunday drives! Is that Sandy's house in the last picture, and her out front on her bike?

 
At March 26, 2007 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, what a lovely lovely day.

Kentucky looks beautiful - I must visit your state soon.

BTW, thanks for your comment on my blog - I wrote back and everything wound up working out for the best with my Mom and my family.

Thanks for caring, Motherkitty.

 
At March 26, 2007 10:27 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Looks like a perfectly lovely way to spend a Sunday. How nice that you have a lake so nearby!
I remember that song very well, but guess I wasn't "born to be wild"
The name of that prison is quite amusing!
xoxo

 
At March 26, 2007 10:47 PM, Blogger TUFFENUF said...

Well, the prisoners have a nice view from there! I am glad you had such a lovely day. . . and in case I never told you before- I love your great attitude! It is a great feeling when spring begins to come around again!

 
At March 27, 2007 11:00 AM, Blogger Alipurr said...

very pretty pictures mom. I am glad you guys enjoyed a beautiful day....

 
At March 27, 2007 10:04 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

LOL! Love the Easter display. The weather has been gorgeous here too. Of course, I've used it to weed and mulch all the flowerbeds instead of fun at the lake. But, hey, the flowerbeds look good. :)

 
At March 28, 2007 10:00 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

I love those kind of days. The pictures are beautiful.

I love "Born to be Wild"....

 
At April 06, 2007 7:36 AM, Blogger Kerri said...

Sounds like a glorious way to spend the day. Born to be Wild was the first movie my hubby and I ever watched together so that song has always produced great memories. You're really making me nostalgic this morning MK! :)
Those biker bunnies are a hoot!
Those prisoners could be much worse off. They must have a lovely view! Perhaps that's pretty good punishment...seeing the beauty they could be out roaming around in.
Thanks for visiting MK. You always leave such heartfelt, thoughtful comments. I love having you stop by :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home